Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rewrapping wires

Rewrapping wires

A number of wires have lost or are losing their black shrink tubing / rubber outer protectors due to rot and cracking. What are the best materials and techniques to re-wrap without removing connectors? Iíve got some
    XFasten Silicone Self Fusing Tape and Tesa Heat Proof Engine Compartment Wiring Tape in my Amazon cart.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This stuff will not replace the shrink wrap but is a good addition to protect wiring. It comes in a variety of diameters.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B004UH...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

There is a thread out there already from earlier this year or last year about this.
    I did a combination of wrapping with the silicone tape and mesh.

When I rewrapped my entire airhead's wiring harness, I used Tesa wiring harness tape (product # 51608, available on Amazon). That was 3 years and 15,000 miles ago, and the harness tape is still in excellent condition. I think I used 2 rolls for the whole harness. Whatever you do, don't use electrical tape as it turns into a nasty mess on the wiring harness. I have been using the Tesa tape on my new oilhead, as it has the same problem as yours, cracking wiring wrap all over the place.

+1 on Tesa wiring harness tape. I recently made up a harness for my camper with the Tesa tape, easy to use, look factory.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    +1 on Tesa wiring harness tape. I recently made up a harness for my camper with the Tesa tape, easy to use, look factory.
    Just like old fashioned "friction tape."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

There is a spiral shrink wrap made by, oh my, the oldzheimers kicked in. AAAAAHHH, Panduit.

I use it on hydraulic hose in a high scuff with spring spiral over. You don't need the spring spiral but you can only buy it from an Electrical Warehouse and I don't know if they sell by the foot. I never asked as I buy in 25' rolls.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

ďThe major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Just like old fashioned "friction tape."
    Similar but softer and more flexible.
    I really like this product, looks like OE on the later models.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

While I don't have the long experience that others do here, the cable sheathing on the 02 R1150R had degraded badly. I used Tesa 51036 this summer to redo all the wire runs after striping away the crumbling outer covers, and it worked well - good handling, looks quite satisfactory, and has held up in the short term.

From TESA's website:

tesaģ 51036 has been specially designed for bundling and wire protection against abrasion. The main application field is the engine compartment of a car, with demanding temperature-related and environmental conditions.

What kind of weather conditions has your 02 R1150R been in?

Thank you all! I have Tesa 51608 on order.

Thank you, Thank you

This is an answer to a question I also had regarding my 2004 R1150R. It's great to have a source of tribal knowledge!
    Jim Nyffeler
    Lincoln NE
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    What kind of weather conditions has your 02 R1150R been in?
    Hard to say - my brother bought it new and it was garaged when I took it off his hands several years ago. No rust or significant weathering, so I think he's had it in a garage most of the time.

On the other hand, the wire sheath covering fell apart, just as many others on the forum have stated with theirs. I do like German engineering - just wish the designed longevity extended to this aspect. But wrapping everything does teach one about the bike, and I would not have learned as much otherwise.

Milanator

One thing you will fine on the forum. You will hear lots of complains about things. You won't hear too much about the good things because we are out putting miles on our bikes. The major of us don't have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jnrugg View Post
    There is a thread out there already from earlier this year or last year about this.
    I did a combination of wrapping with the silicone tape and mesh.
    I canít find this thread searching on the webpage or Tapatalk. Perchance you have a link?