• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1100'1150 RT Best year

2slowwheels

Is there any consensus on 'best year' of the 1100/1150 RT range? I kind of want to avoid the servo brake years, even though they are fantastic as long as they work.

The transmission issues were sorted out by model year 1997. Later, around 2004, there were problems with the stick coils on the twin spark models.

Thinking about buying one a friend has, a 1998 R1100RT, 25,000 miles, very good shape, heated Corbin (I'm not a Corbin fan), all three cases, BMW tank bag, an extra set of rebuilt Ohlins, and an extra rear end and drive shaft. He planned on keeping it a long time but a car accident changed things. I'll probably take it off his hands if the weather here in the plains gets warm enough for a test ride.

Thinking about buying one a friend has, a 1998 R1100RT, 25,000 miles, very good shape, heated Corbin (I'm not a Corbin fan), all three cases, BMW tank bag, an extra set of rebuilt Ohlins, and an extra rear end and drive shaft. He planned on keeping it a long time but a car accident changed things. I'll probably take it off his hands if the weather here in the plains gets warm enough for a test ride.

That might not even be broken in yet. And if the engine surges, you can install an AF-XiED.

What are the usual criteria?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake lines replaced, left cam chain tensioner upgraded, a decent seat, lower the foot pegs, raise the handlebars, gas tank over flow canisterectomy, upgraded hall effects sensor ... you know.... stuff like that.

Brake lines replaced, left cam chain tensioner upgraded, a decent seat, lower the foot pegs, raise the handlebars, gas tank over flow canisterectomy, upgraded hall effects sensor ... you know.... stuff like that.

Very helpful. The only one I didn’t know about and haven’t done is the left cam chain tensioner. I’ll check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a 2001 RT with only 9,000 miles, super clean, new radials, new fuel pump/filter, new battery, fresh fluids, etc. but pretty plain (no farkles). Heated grips, ABS, RID, but I think this was all standard stuff.
Is it worth $3,500
I'm old school and like the non servo brakes and the non hydraulic clutch.

I found a 2001 RT with only 9,000 miles, super clean, new radials, new fuel pump/filter, new battery, fresh fluids, etc. but pretty plain (no farkles). Heated grips, ABS, RID, but I think this was all standard stuff.
Is it worth $3,500

What a great find. Hard to believe that a nearly twenty year old bike has only 9,000 miles. It will probably need some upgrades that are common corrections for the 1100RT. You should start a new post for that. The 1100RT is very maintenance friendly for the DIY owner. Once you get comfortable with removing the fairing and then replacing it. Assuming the condition is on par with the mileage, you paid what it’s worth.
Enjoy your RT.

Is it worth $3,500

Congrats!
Heads up - if it has the original OE rubber brake lines replace them with SS Teflon ones before riding.
This vintage is very failure prone.

Also, pay close attention when attaching the side cases. It's possible to mount them with the forward tab not properly engaged, which will result in the case falling off, probably on the freeway.

Back