• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

6volt Visibility/Turn Signal Options ?

72r60/7

I want to add 6 volt LED rear turn signals to a (‘57) R60.

An LED cluster of 15 plus minimum bulbs (Yellow) made in the US, Canada, Mexico, Taiwan etc. would do nicely. Not China because of previous LED experiences.

I’m currently using many 12v 24 or 48 bulb LED Hardwire clusters from Custom Dynamics. Don’t care where they make theirs as there is a Lifetime Warranty. (That I have used after years of product use).

I make my own light housing with PVC plumbing Caps angst glass lenses. Painted of course.
Safety far outweighs flat black accessories Every time.

Back on Track.
What sort of 6v LED’s are y’all using with satisfaction ?

Charlie

Charlie -

I've never converted to LED on my R69S...heck, I barely use my turn signals...mostly use hand signals.

Vech sells LED bulbs. There is (or maybe was) a company called Culayer that sold LED bulbs and conversion lights. There was this long thread on LEDs on the vintage forum:

http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/14125

Thanks again as usual Kurt.

I hope there are some 6v people out there just begging to express how wonderful their additional lights are.

I don’t have much confidence in a young driver using a mobile phone and recognizing “hand signals” at the same time.
Do they even teach “hand signals” in a Drivers Ed Class ?

I have a little problem with elbows blocking not only the rear view mirrors but elbows blocking handlebar signals as well.

Charlie

Do they even teach “hand signals” in a Drivers Ed Class ?

Charlie

Probably. They are still mentioned in the last state handbook I read. A better question is, if they teach how to use the car's electric turn signals, why do so many people not do it?

Last edited:
I've seen those for sale on Craigs list SWFL

YUP! All sorts of automobile turn signals. Strange none are advertised as "used", every single set is listed as "New never ever been used".

Talked to a young man today. 20-25 years old. Delivery job. Drivers Ed never taught hand signals. In fact, they never were taught the left lane was for passing in most circumstances. Or never saw one of the very few signs that say “Keep Right Except for Passing”. He always drove in the left lane until the first week of training and he asked the driver why he was always changing lanes. SAD, very Sad.

These topics would garner a lot more responses in the “Motorrad” section, but as Original Poster I have absolutely no objection to where a topic stays or goes. Some things have a mind of their own, don’t they ?

Anyone wanna restate this topic to delve into these deeper ? It would be worthwhile if it helped reversed the growing problem of “Left Lane Riders”.

Kurt, I did order a couple of (LB7’s-?) 6v 24 bulb Amber Clusters (40mm) from the British LED site you suggested. Thanks again. Especially since I wasn’t overwhelmed with 6v turn signal options. Those clusters will fit a 1-1/2” PVC plumbing cap. Those caps are 48mm ID. I already have spare glass flashlight lenses that will fit those caps too. May post project progress later. Certainly not Period for the bike but as I said earlier, much Safer than Nothing. (if your elbows block the indicators).

Charlie

Brighter turn signal LEDs

I just put these in my 69S and they are not only MUCH brighter, they flash twice as fast:
https://www.ledlight.com/searchresult.aspx?KeyWords=87563WW

You will need a different flasher for the LEDs. I got one with bulbs included on eBay but the bulbs were not as bright as the ones above. Here's the flasher: https://tinyurl.com/yb6rwjt4

Any 6V flasher made for LEDs will work. My flasher has 3 terminals: E is ground, L goes to the directional handlebar switch, B is for + from the ignition switch. The bulbs also have + and - polarity so if they don't flash, flip the bulb around.

Back