• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1100S Boxer Cup Prep

kooze1948

Will probably end up owning one of these, was hoping to get more info. I have read a lot on many different forums and have gotten a lot of different and contradictory info. Was only color that was available the Mandarin and Grey? Some say that it was a stripped down model, no ABS, heated grips etc. but I have seen supposedly SBX bikes listed with ABS and heated grips. I know that things changed over the model run which I believe was 2003-2005, does any one have production numbers for 2004? Also, can a SBX bike be identified from anything in the VIN? I know that they had same springs, shorter torque arm, steering damper and 5 1/2" rear wheel as the Replikas.
Thanks.
Rich
2005 K1200S
2003 R1150R

I have a 2004 R1100S Boxer Cup Prep, in Mandarin/Titanium. You are correct, it has no ABS, no center stand, and no heated grips. It does have the sport suspension (yellow springs), low windscreen, steering dampener, and the 5.5” wide rear wheel. I’ve run VIN checks (the free ones at least) and there’s nothing that denotes the BCP status.

Prior model year BXP were available in only silver. I’m not sure what other colors (if any) the 2004 BCP is in, I've only seen the mandarin/titanium. And besides the boxer cup replika it really is the sexiest color scheme.

I’ve gleaned lots of information from the MOA forum, the pelican parts forum, and the R1100S Motorcycle Facebook page. Good group of people there with very little drama. Also, with some light searching you can find a free electronic version of the BMW service manual for the R1100S that you can save and reference. It’s not as good as the Clymer but it’s still a good reference.

As for the bike, mine was bought with no history and I’ve had to do quite a few large repairs and maintenance to it. Pay attention to the clutch slave cylinder, if it hasn’t been replaced in the last few years then pull it and ensure it isn’t leaking. A leaking slave cylinder can allow the fluid to run down the pushrod and contaminate the dry clutch.

Otherwise the bike is an absolute joy to ride, the torque of the engine and the agile handling is very rewarding, plus it’s great eye candy. Be prepared for stranger to strike up conversations about it.

Denny

Thanks Denny. So, if a bike is represented as Boxer Cup Prep, especially an 04 in the Titanium and Mandarin color scheme, but has ABS and heated grips, how could this be explained? Upgrades from original? I can see the heated grips but it would seem to be quite a bit of trouble to go from non ABS to ABS. I have also heard that you are better off without the ABS as they can be troublesome and expensive to repair. Any comments on that?
Thanks
Rich

I’m not 100% sure but my first thought is a bike with ABS and factory heated grips is not a BCP. The mandarin/titanium was available in regular R1100S as well.

As far as the ABS on the ‘04, that is the iABS. It is a servo-assisted brake system that, in my opinion, is a joy to use. Others hate it. BUT... if it were to go out you’re looking at a very expensive repair. There’s a company that can rebuild the system but it’s not cheap. But if the bike was well maintained with regular annual brake fluid flushes then I wouldn’t worry so much.

Denny

I just got a new to me ‘99 1100S in August. Not a Boxer Cup and unfortunately not mandarin/titanium. At first I didn’t like the red but it’s growing on me. This was the bike I listed after for many years, when one popped up in my neighbourhood from a friend I couldn’t say no.

Thanks DennyD and SkiBum, I like the Manadarin/titanium much better than Replika colors and I can see it attracting a lot of attention. I always have been attracted to "stripped" bikes and cars, basically set up for racing. When I was able to order performance cars new from the factory it was always biggest engine, no a/c, no radio, no power anything. Would love to get a "real" '04 BCP, especially since they are not as expensive as the Replikas. Don't know how to explain it but I see Replikas advertised with ABS and they seem to be ligit BCRs.
Thanks
Rich

The Boxer Cup Replika generally speaking, in 2005 Red, White and Blue, or the previous years '03-'04 Randy Mamola, Blue and White color scheme came stock with a Laser Exhaust, Sterring Dampener, Wider Rear Wheel, No ABS, No Heated Grips and a taller rear suspension set-up.

Boxer Cup Prep, different by color from the Replika, ordered by a dealer or the customer might have come with heated grips and ABS. I haven't seen too many in that build configuration. But, they are out there. I don't know as to why, either.

I've seen a few Mandarin and Grey Boxer Cup Prep with everything a prep comes with; in addition to ABS and heated grips. Rare...

What I haven't seen is a standard Boxer R1100S with a factory steering dampener, factory Laser Exhaust, wider rear tire and a shorter suspension set-up. However, you could add any of those to an existing 1100S. And some owners did... go figure...

Yes, it's confusing... :banghead

Thanks lbg. So, a bike with a center stand would seem to indicate that it does not have the BCR suspension setup since supposedly the raised height created by the shorter torque arm brought the frame up too high for he center stand to be effective, yes? Also, any bike, whether BCR, BCP or just a good old S, would have the yellow rear spring as evidence of the sports suspension/handling package, yes?
Thanks,
Rich

Thanks lbg. So, a bike with a center stand would seem to indicate that it does not have the BCR suspension setup since supposedly the raised height created by the shorter torque arm brought the frame up too high for he center stand to be effective, yes?

Nope. With the shorter torque arm, the rear wheel barely drags when the centre stand is deployed. This was the result when I installed one on my S. Made some 1/4" pads which were then riveted to the centre stand feet to gain adequate tire-to-ground clearance - for cleaning and maintenance reasons only. To the best of my knowledge the only difference in the rear suspension is the torque arm and the spring rate. Shock length is unchanged. To be honest, apart from paint and some carbon bits (and that rear torque arm), the differences between an "S" and a BCR are negligible.

Thanks BC1100S. What about the yellow rear spring and the 5 1/2" rear wheel, again is it only found on a BCR,BCP or an S with the sport package?
Thanks,
Rich

Thanks BC1100S. What about the yellow rear spring and the 5 1/2" rear wheel, again is it only found on a BCR,BCP or an S with the sport package?
Thanks,
Rich

5" rear wheel was the standard wheel on an "S". I had a 5.5" wheel on mine and I didn't have the sport suspension. I upgraded both shocks and springs to aftermarket at 40,000km. If the "S" you look at has the stock OR sport suspension, you'll probably want to do the same. Or not - it depends on what you expect of the bike. As to the yellow spring, I'm betting its a spring rate change.

The posts by BC1100s are spot on.

A BCR bike wouldn't have come with a center stand; it has a belly pan. Though there were aftermarket spoilers that would accept a center stand. Bike in photo has such a spoiler. Also, has a CF rear hugger and a CF front fender.

I regards to suspension, IMHO, run out the stock setup then go with an aftermarket set up and put the stock in a box on a shelf.

93203023_1thumb_550x4101248106225.jpg

Last edited:
I have to share again

I had # 172 and now after a few years of no R 1100S BCR I have #68.

Attachments

• IMG_0654 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0654 (1280x960).jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 155
Any Boxercup owners that may be headed to the Barber Motorsports “Vintage Motorcycle Days” this coming Oct. 8-10, 2021 … should we try to rendezvous somewhere at the event and display our bikes all together?

Maybe in front of the museum on Friday evening to attend the “Motorcycles By Moonlight” dinner?

In all the 17 years or so that I’ve owned my ‘04, since new (196 of 300), other than on these forums, I’ve never met another BCR owner/rider … I’d like to correct that this year, if I could.

Hard to say how these BCR came equipped. My 05 doesn't have ABS or heated grips and the rear wheel is Blue, dealer has told me white rear wheel was standard but blue could be bought as an option. My 04 doesn't have the steering damper nor the mounting brackets but it does have heated grips and the ABS. They both have/came with the yellow spring shocks which have been replaced with Ohlin shocks. My 05 has the adjustable arm and the 04 has the standard length fix arm. I didn't buy these bikes new and both have had a couple of previous owns who may have changed stuff.
I live on the west coast so won't be attending, thinks it's a great idea getting them together, good luck.

Attachments

• DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0501.jpg
    DSC_0501.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 29
Back