• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1250rt - does thou even jack? Jack points

imperialstout

Howdy. I owe pictures but I was farkle wrenching on the new ride this weekend for a bit. I have a motorcycle jack that I use on my GS and was about to use it on the RT but stopped dead. I realized the only point that I think the jack will settle on AND balance the bike enough to lift it up evenly is directly on the exhaust. Nope...

So besides me spending big $$ on a full on lift (dear Santa in red please) where does one use a jack on the RT? Or is it in the manual and I'm oblivious.

No jack, as you have discovered. You can buy wheel stands (see Pitbull or others), or a lift, or you can simply weight the bike on the center stand for normal maintenance needs.

When on the center stand the rear wheel should be in the air to service wheels & tires and FD. You can get the front wheel in the air by putting about 50+ pounds on the rear luggage rack. I use three 25# barbell weights on it over a towel, then I can remove the front wheel, service the front brakes, etc.

Center stand and a jack works for most service. Pull the front wheel? Center stand and a screw jack against the exhaust. Keep in mind the center stand carries most of the weight and the exhaust will easily carry the rest.

Last edited:
I’ve been using one of these for years. https://lifts-and-stands.com/product/motorbike-lift-stand-eazyrizer-original-red/
It lifts the bike to my chest height, I’m 6’ 2”. It uses an electric drill to raise the bike via a jack screw. I’ve used it on my Ducati, R bike and K1300S. The quality is very good. It is NOT a piece of Chinese imported material. Made in Britain. Price is less than $700.00. It takes up way less floor space than a table. It lifts both wheels, so tire removal is a piece of cake. My only regret is that I didn’t buy the more expensive blue one with wheels. The good thing about this lift is that you do not have to crawl around on your knees to work on the bike. You do not have to pump up a jack.

Last edited:
Center stand and a jack woks for most service. Pull thr front wheel? Center stand and a screw jack against the exhaust. Keep in mind the center stand carries most of the weight and the exhaust will easily carry the rest.

I used a jack on the K1200RS and K1300S when changing the front tire.
On the K1200RS I placed the jack under the sump and the same can be done on the R1200.

Front wheel stands are also handy.
3-20-19 (1).jpg

Or lifting from the top...

I prefer the come a long winch method lifting from the top of the bike with nylon straps attached to the handlebars. Nothing underneath to get in the way and the come along winch and straps don't take up much room in the garage. Just need to make sure you have good strong rafters above, then put a 2x4 or similar across them to spread the load. Been using this now for over 10 years and many many front wheel removals.

I'd upload a photo but this board can't handle my file sizes, keeps rejecting them.

Price? Not anywhere near what anyone else has mentioned here.

I realized the only point that I think the jack will settle on AND balance the bike enough to lift it up evenly is directly on the exhaust. Nope...

Before buying front wheel stands I used a scissor jack and board under the 4 header pipes on the K1300S.
Don't use a cheap bottle jack because they can leak down if you leave the bike on the stand overnight.

IMG_0051.jpg

Back