• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

khfranck

A number of wires have lost or are losing their black shrink tubing / rubber outer protectors due to rot and cracking. What are the best materials and techniques to re-wrap without removing connectors? I’ve got some
XFasten Silicone Self Fusing Tape and Tesa Heat Proof Engine Compartment Wiring Tape in my Amazon cart.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a thread out there already from earlier this year or last year about this.
I did a combination of wrapping with the silicone tape and mesh.

When I rewrapped my entire airhead's wiring harness, I used Tesa wiring harness tape (product # 51608, available on Amazon). That was 3 years and 15,000 miles ago, and the harness tape is still in excellent condition. I think I used 2 rolls for the whole harness. Whatever you do, don't use electrical tape as it turns into a nasty mess on the wiring harness. I have been using the Tesa tape on my new oilhead, as it has the same problem as yours, cracking wiring wrap all over the place.

There is a spiral shrink wrap made by, oh my, the oldzheimers kicked in. AAAAAHHH, Panduit.

I use it on hydraulic hose in a high scuff with spring spiral over. You don't need the spring spiral but you can only buy it from an Electrical Warehouse and I don't know if they sell by the foot. I never asked as I buy in 25' rolls.

While I don't have the long experience that others do here, the cable sheathing on the 02 R1150R had degraded badly. I used Tesa 51036 this summer to redo all the wire runs after striping away the crumbling outer covers, and it worked well - good handling, looks quite satisfactory, and has held up in the short term.

From TESA's website:

tesa® 51036 has been specially designed for bundling and wire protection against abrasion. The main application field is the engine compartment of a car, with demanding temperature-related and environmental conditions.

Thank you, Thank you

This is an answer to a question I also had regarding my 2004 R1150R. It's great to have a source of tribal knowledge!

What kind of weather conditions has your 02 R1150R been in?

Hard to say - my brother bought it new and it was garaged when I took it off his hands several years ago. No rust or significant weathering, so I think he's had it in a garage most of the time.

On the other hand, the wire sheath covering fell apart, just as many others on the forum have stated with theirs. I do like German engineering - just wish the designed longevity extended to this aspect. But wrapping everything does teach one about the bike, and I would not have learned as much otherwise.

Milanator

One thing you will fine on the forum. You will hear lots of complains about things. You won't hear too much about the good things because we are out putting miles on our bikes. The major of us don't have problems.

There is a thread out there already from earlier this year or last year about this.
I did a combination of wrapping with the silicone tape and mesh.

I can’t find this thread searching on the webpage or Tapatalk. Perchance you have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I don't have the long experience that others do here, the cable sheathing on the 02 R1150R had degraded badly.

... as it was designed to do.

Oilheads are the first generation bikes designed following new Euro regulations that auto parts must be biodegradable. The laws indicate that there once the vehicle is off road it again becomes the responsibility of the manufacturer.

First generation solutions are seldom best. You'll note next generation twins, i.e. Camheads, have CANBus electrical systems and braided steel/teflon brake hoses. You'll note also that previous generation Airheads mostly still have no wiring harness problems and likely their original brake hoses.

As an aside, you might note that current bikes in your dealer's showroom seldom feature cable ties to secure wiring harnesses ... instead they have ~1/4 inch wide rubber straps. The new handlebar switchgear (the harnesses) on my R1100S are secured with these.

Back