• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Front Parking Light Bulb Change, 2010 R1200RT

jsoque

I have a parking light bulb that is burned out for the very first time in any of my last 4 Beemers!
Anyone know how I can access this one on a 2010 R1200RT?
I have big hands and manage reaching my head light and high beam lights ok, but, does this require taking off my dashboard?
If you have a new bulb recommendation, I'll take it.
Thanks much!
Enjoy the fall,
Jim

Check the owners manual, around page 125. Not hard to do...

Pop off your mirror, take two screws out and pull a cover plate forward off the fairing.
07a2013f72716fcfd44fb081b5df8e44.jpg

bd6a5f068c158c81121a0f03c8bda3fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about those little lights in the upper corners of the headlight housing? If so, you access them by removing the turn signal housings. The housing bolts are either a T27 or T30 and you access them by tilting the mirrors fully down and out which exposes holes behind the mirror inside upper corners. The bolts are captured so you don't have to worry about dropping them. The bulbs are twist-lock and have little handles on them.

Last edited:
Lol...
The only other tip is to note the angle of the ‘paddle’ on the lamp socket before you unlock/remove it.

This makes it easier to re-install it as the view of the hole thru the fairing is a bit limited.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why a motorcycle needs a parking lamp! Besides, it's so incredibly dim it can easily be mistaken for glare off a nearby metal surface.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why a motorcycle needs a parking lamp! Besides, it's so incredibly dim it can easily be mistaken for glare off a nearby metal surface.

Perhaps because the parking lights can be set on while the bike is parked without the ignition on:

1a7e8304dbe9e21d06d50663ef078547.jpg

(This feature brought to you by the Motorcycle Battery Manufacturers’ Association lol...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IIRC, the parking light was also in case of an accident where the bike would be hard to detect- on it's side off the road. This was part of the incorporation of a battery capable of supporting illumination for a specific amount of time. Again, IIRC, :gerg this was all coming about in the time where motorcycle equipment was less than standardized.
Back in the day, a dirt bike could get a plate and off you go.......It has now gone from bikes where the lights only worked when the bike was running to what we achieved now......2-wheel autos :burnout

OM

I understand the logic, but that lamp is dimmer than a candle. Reflections off a metal lamppost are brighter

I understand the logic, but that lamp is dimmer than a candle. Reflections off a metal lamppost are brighter

And somewhere in Germany, or elsewhere in the European Union there is a requirement that the motorcycle be equipped with such a light. So be it. And whether we think it is valuable or not it is there. If you don't want to replace the bulb, don't. Nobody will notice or care.

Wrong year

Check the owners manual, around page 125. Not hard to do...

Pop off your mirror, take two screws out and pull a cover plate forward off the fairing.
07a2013f72716fcfd44fb081b5df8e44.jpg

bd6a5f068c158c81121a0f03c8bda3fa.jpg

These instructions are for the 05 thru 09 models. The 2010-13 mirrors do not pop off. On the 2010 you undo the mirror bolt from a hole in the bottom of the mirror housing. Pop out the mirror glass and you will see the bulb holder. Instruction are in the manual.

These instructions are for the 05 thru 09 models. The 2010-13 mirrors do not pop off. On the 2010 you undo the mirror bolt from a hole in the bottom of the mirror housing. Pop out the mirror glass and you will see the bulb holder. Instruction are in the manual.

You don't need to pop off the mirror. The bolt securing the turn signal housing is in the upper inside corner of each mirror. All you need is a torx driver long enough to reach in there. It needs to be a screwdriver type torx. A socket type won't fit in the hole.

Last edited:
And somewhere in Germany, or elsewhere in the European Union there is a requirement that the motorcycle be equipped with such a light. So be it. And whether we think it is valuable or not it is there. If you don't want to replace the bulb, don't. Nobody will notice or care.

It's law in those countries the parking light has to be lit when a bike is parked next to a road at night.

The problem with not changing the bulb is a yellow warning triangle is displayed with a bulb symbol.
If you cover these with tape you risk missing other warnings.

One of the changes between Hexheads and Camheads is that the toolkit for the latter includes the TORX wrench required to remove the mirror housing to access the park light bulb.

One of the changes between Hexheads and Camheads is that the toolkit for the latter includes the TORX wrench required to remove the mirror housing to access the park light bulb.

I agree with this, the larger of the two two Torx tools in the OEM kit is what you need. I have a screwdriver-type driver that is easier to use.

Back