Thread: Front Parking Light Bulb Change, 2010 R1200RT

Front Parking Light Bulb Change, 2010 R1200RT

I have a parking light bulb that is burned out for the very first time in any of my last 4 Beemers!
    Anyone know how I can access this one on a 2010 R1200RT?
    I have big hands and manage reaching my head light and high beam lights ok, but, does this require taking off my dashboard?
    If you have a new bulb recommendation, I'll take it.
    Thanks much!
    Enjoy the fall,
    Jim
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    IBA 1000/24, 2014
    IBA 1500/36, 2016
    IBA 2000/48, Sept 2018

Check the owners manual, around page 125. Not hard to do...

Pop off your mirror, take two screws out and pull a cover plate forward off the fairing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about those little lights in the upper corners of the headlight housing? If so, you access them by removing the turn signal housings. The housing bolts are either a T27 or T30 and you access them by tilting the mirrors fully down and out which exposes holes behind the mirror inside upper corners. The bolts are captured so you don't have to worry about dropping them. The bulbs are twist-lock and have little handles on them.
    Last edited by pappy35; 10-29-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Lol...
    The only other tip is to note the angle of the ‘paddle’ on the lamp socket before you unlock/remove it.

This makes it easier to re-install it as the view of the hole thru the fairing is a bit limited.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why a motorcycle needs a parking lamp! Besides, it's so incredibly dim it can easily be mistaken for glare off a nearby metal surface.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Front Parking Light Bulb Change, 2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why a motorcycle needs a parking lamp! Besides, it's so incredibly dim it can easily be mistaken for glare off a nearby metal surface.
    Perhaps because the parking lights can be set on while the bike is parked without the ignition on:

(This feature brought to you by the Motorcycle Battery Manufacturers’ Association lol...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    IIRC, the parking light was also in case of an accident where the bike would be hard to detect- on it's side off the road. This was part of the incorporation of a battery capable of supporting illumination for a specific amount of time. Again, IIRC, this was all coming about in the time where motorcycle equipment was less than standardized.
    Back in the day, a dirt bike could get a plate and off you go.......It has now gone from bikes where the lights only worked when the bike was running to what we achieved now......2-wheel autos

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I understand the logic, but that lamp is dimmer than a candle. Reflections off a metal lamppost are brighter
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I understand the logic, but that lamp is dimmer than a candle. Reflections off a metal lamppost are brighter
    And that’s why I changed mine to LED.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And somewhere in Germany, or elsewhere in the European Union there is a requirement that the motorcycle be equipped with such a light. So be it. And whether we think it is valuable or not it is there. If you don't want to replace the bulb, don't. Nobody will notice or care.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Wrong year

Quote Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
    Check the owners manual, around page 125. Not hard to do...

Pop off your mirror, take two screws out and pull a cover plate forward off the fairing.

These instructions are for the 05 thru 09 models. The 2010-13 mirrors do not pop off. On the 2010 you undo the mirror bolt from a hole in the bottom of the mirror housing. Pop out the mirror glass and you will see the bulb holder. Instruction are in the manual.
    Chuck Swenson
    MOA # 9162
    2010 R1200RT, 2003 F650cs (BMW #12 & 13)

Quote Originally Posted by beemerchuck View Post
    These instructions are for the 05 thru 09 models. The 2010-13 mirrors do not pop off. On the 2010 you undo the mirror bolt from a hole in the bottom of the mirror housing. Pop out the mirror glass and you will see the bulb holder. Instruction are in the manual.
    You don't need to pop off the mirror. The bolt securing the turn signal housing is in the upper inside corner of each mirror. All you need is a torx driver long enough to reach in there. It needs to be a screwdriver type torx. A socket type won't fit in the hole.
    Last edited by pappy35; 10-29-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    And somewhere in Germany, or elsewhere in the European Union there is a requirement that the motorcycle be equipped with such a light. So be it. And whether we think it is valuable or not it is there. If you don't want to replace the bulb, don't. Nobody will notice or care.
    It's law in those countries the parking light has to be lit when a bike is parked next to a road at night.

The problem with not changing the bulb is a yellow warning triangle is displayed with a bulb symbol.
    If you cover these with tape you risk missing other warnings.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

One of the changes between Hexheads and Camheads is that the toolkit for the latter includes the TORX wrench required to remove the mirror housing to access the park light bulb.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    One of the changes between Hexheads and Camheads is that the toolkit for the latter includes the TORX wrench required to remove the mirror housing to access the park light bulb.
    I agree with this, the larger of the two two Torx tools in the OEM kit is what you need. I have a screwdriver-type driver that is easier to use.