• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disarm the side stand interlock

Mod the wiring to the way the 1150's are. They can be started in Neutral with the sidestand down. Bike will stall the moment it's put into gear if the stand is not retracted first.

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/2001/12/08/enable-r1100rt-starting-with-the-sidestand-down-1/

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/2005/04/09/enable-r1100rt-starting-with-the-sidestand-down/
This is a better idea to me. I have a Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo ( I've had a few ) They have a piece of rubber mounted on the side stand above the foot. if you ride off with the side stand down, it will "Supposedly" flip it up.

Funny story. I rode to my local post office one Saturday. Had to pickup car parts. Got back on the bike to leave, turned on the key, hit the switch...nothing. Checked kill switch, on. Checked for a headlight, nope. Nothing..wtf? Bike was due for a battery and wouldn't start if it was too cold because of that and thick oil. I had just ridden it so I was pretty sure it should turn over.( I'm fairly new to BMW ownership ) So, as I'm about to start checking electrical connections and such, I realize the bikes on the center stand and the side stand is down. DOH!

I took the BRC back in the late 1980s when the little commuter bikes didn't have the interlock. By that time, I had been riding R80/K75c BMW's with the retracting sidestands for a few years and frequently failed to do the manual side stand retraction on the commuter bike. The course instructor, a local police officer, truly enjoyed yelling across the range............"BMW! Side stand!". At some point, the message was expanded to, "BMW, you Dummy! Side Stand!"

Thank you d-yoda. Exactly what I was looking for.

Actually, I didn't read the whole post first but GSAddict posted the exact same thing a bit of awhile ago. A caution though, if you do this mod, don't use Scotch-Loks or Stak-Ons. I wound up going back and solder/shrink tube everything after I drove away with my side stand down.

1997 R1100rt

My RT will not stay running if the side stand is down, even if it is in neutral. It will run when perched on the center stand. It was this way when I got it. I don't think that is normal, but I've been wrong before.

My RT will not stay running if the side stand is down, even if it is in neutral. It will run when perched on the center stand. It was this way when I got it. I don't think that is normal, but I've been wrong before.

It is normal. It is what R1100 bikes (except the R1100S which is more like an 1150) do. The electrical intern was in charge the day they designed that feature, but everybody else was at Octoberfest. The didn't notice when they got back.

BMW changed the circuitry on the R1150 bikes so they will run with the side stand down but only while in neutral. It is a bit more complicated circuitry but a huge improvement.

It is normal. It is what R1100 bikes (except the R1100S which is more like an 1150) do. The electrical intern was in charge the day they designed that feature, but everybody else was at Octoberfest. The didn't notice when they got back.

BMW changed the circuitry on the R1150 bikes so they will run with the side stand down but only while in neutral. It is a bit more complicated circuitry but a huge improvement.

OK, thanks for the information.

Back