• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disarm the side stand interlock

I guess one can sue for any reason. If the courts can't see that this particular one is frivolous then we're all lost. :laugh

Yep, anyone can sue you for any reason. Then no matter how stupid you need to lawyer up and protect yourself. Even if something gets tossed the first day of court you might have a few thousand in legal fees.

I go sued for child support a few years back, by a woman I didn't even know. Her kid was late teens so the "deed" had happened years before. I have a pretty common name and that is what hooked me. Two trips through court, her lawyers asking for extensions. Me just writing out checks to my attorney. It cost me about $1,000 when I was at a time in my life where I was flat broke so it was pain full. Plus my wife was wondering too. I got so pissed about it I called her attorney and asked what it would take to make it all go away and tried to explain they had the wrong guy. Her attorney was some man hating woman so I was pond scum in her mind and just trying to weasel out of paying support. They said they would accept nothing less than a DNA test. I told them to schedule it and they told me I had to pay for it. I told them they were trying to prove that I was the father, they could pay for the tests. They did, I went in for a blood draw and never heard from them again. I actually called her attorney after many months passed and they sent me the DNA tests which, of course backed me up.

So, now that all the sanctimonious, self righteous, and expert attorneys have weighed in, is there a mechanic in the bunch who can answer OP's original question??

Geesh and people around here wonder why someone would NOT want to join this club.

So, now that all the sanctimonious, self righteous, and expert attorneys have weighed in, is there a mechanic in the bunch who can answer OP's original question??

Geesh and people around here wonder why someone would NOT want to join this club.

Hey! It’s BMW’s! When there is a problem, they send the lawyers. If it was Harleys, they send their buddies. :dance

OM

And then come the name callers.

What liability? I'd have to sue him for him to suffer any repercussions from meeting my request to disconnect it. We have a better relationship than that, he knows I have enough integrity to not put him on the hook for something I asked him to specifically perform. Would he do the same for others, no clue, don't care. :thumb
What you are say is is true, as long as there isn’t an accident where more than just you are involved. Insurance companies will follow the trail, and let’s say the worst case scenario happens and there is a death, (yours or someone else), your estate administrator or insurance company is not held to your standards of risk acceptance. Especially if your not around to assume total responsibility. Using the case cited above by Paul, there could have been a whole lot of expensive repercussions involved. There’s a reason the switch is on there from the manufacturer, and the safety of the rider is only one factor in the process.

What you are say is is true, as long as there isn’t an accident where more than just you are involved. Insurance companies will follow the trail, and let’s say the worst case scenario happens and there is a death, (yours or someone else), your estate administrator or insurance company is not held to your standards of risk acceptance. Especially if your not around to assume total responsibility. Using the case cited above by Paul, there could have been a whole lot of expensive repercussions involved. There’s a reason the switch is on there from the manufacturer, and the safety of the rider is only one factor in the process.

All the above is statistically insignificant IMO. How many motor riders disable the switch? How many riders have accidents that have disconnected the switch? How many riders that have disconnected the switch have died and had anyone sue anyone over the switch being disabled that caused the accident? How does an insurance company know where I have my bike worked on? How does another party find that information?

Sure it's possible there are a few instances over the last 50+ years, but again, statistically insignificant to give this even a second thought. I don't believe I'll be losing any sleep over the subject. I appreciate all the concern and heads up from members. :thumb

On rare occasions I have run my bike on side stand. In every case I was not on the bike but walking around the bike with it idling . Then once ready to ride I would hop on the bike and put it in gear to ride away.
But at least 50% of the time I would drop it in gear and the motor would shut off because of the dummy on the seat. I can understand that you would like to know how to bypass the safety switch if it fails. What I don’t understand is why you would want to have the bike running with side stand down and in gear? I’m not trying to be a wise guy I’m just trying to understand

Thanks. THat's what I want run side stand down, Shut off if put in gear. I've ridded and owned 62 bikes. Always start and warm up side stand down.

Thanks. THat's what I want run side stand down, Shut off if put in gear. I've ridded and owned 62 bikes. Always start and warm up side stand down.

Exactly how my Honda is set-up (stock.) I start it on sidestand, finish suiting up, mount, flip up stand, put in gear, and off we go. But if I ever forget the stand, off it goes (the engine.)

Like I said, I’m surprised to learn it would be set up any other way.

Exactly how my Honda is set-up (stock.) I start it on sidestand, finish suiting up, mount, flip up stand, put in gear, and off we go. But if I ever forget the stand, off it goes (the engine.)

Like I said, I’m surprised to learn it would be set up any other way.

BMW required the side stand to be up in order for the engine to run on the R1100 bikes. They cured the error of their ways on the R1150 bikes.

My ‘95 1100GS will not run with the stand down. I go through a lot of gates where I ride and I would like to let the bike run for the 15 seconds I’m off the bike to open and 15 seconds to close the gate rather than shut down and restart twice. I’ve had the exciting hop from driving off with the stand down on an older bike I’ve owned — no accident but it was an unwelcome shot of adrenaline. I like the idea of the neutral switch, I don’t like the total shutdown. Has anyone converted an older bike with the shutdown switch to a neutral-run switch?

My current bike (not a BMW) will start with the sidestand down as long as it’s in neutral. If I shift into gear with the sidestand down, the engine cuts out. I would never disable this safety feature.

I figured this was a safety requirement on all modern bikes - - I am surprised to learn that it isn’t.

Yeah ... another thing I also don't like the BMW way where you can't even start the bike with the side stand down. On my old Yamaha the engine would only cut off if you tried switching the bike into gear but as long as you were in neutral it would start and run.

Far as disabling it on the 94 RS all you need to do is unplug it.

Back