• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disarm the side stand interlock

JALAIMO146577

I want to eliminate the ignition lock out when the side stand is down. A pain in the ass for start up. I believe its just a matter of joining the two wires at the side stand witch. Just need to be certain.

Appreciate some guidance.

sidestand switch

Hello, you dont mention what year your bike is in my case a 2000 r1100rt it was just the two wires,I belive the later bikes have 3 or more wires and relays so is not as simple ,I removed switch assy as well but not needed ,I didnt like the idea of a cut out switch that could cut out on the road so just remember to put the stand back up before moving off ,hope this assists ,Jimmy

If it’s as easy as twisting two wires together than I’m doing that posthaste. Nothing irks me more about my R1100RS than no running with the side stand down!

Denny

Side Stand Switch

I a world of annoying things this is very low on my list. The times I tried to start the bike with Side stand Down and was annoyed or irritated because bike would not start is also a time when I probably should have been getting my wits together and not be riding.
Usually when I go for a ride I start bike up roll it backward out of garage than down hill until I clear cars in driveway, it’s not fun rolling backwards and finding out your side stand is down.
I have a friend that started his bike once took off and while making the first left turn he found out his side stand was down he did not get hurt much, the bike was not hurt but it was a pain to pick it up and several friends saw his misadventure which caused some mental pain.
It may be annoying when bike won’t start because of safety switch but it is not painful.

Last edited:
I have a friend that started his bike once took off and while making the first left turn he found out his side stand was down he did not get hurt much, the bike was not hurt but it was a pain to pick it up and several friends saw his misadventure which caused some mental pain.
It may be annoying when bike won’t start because of safety switch but it is not painful.

Voni was riding with a friend of ours on the double-letter back roads of Missouri several years ago. They had stopped for some reason - gas, potty stop, whatever. Then they resumed their ride and on the first left hand sweeper Debbie, who had left her sidestand down, had the stand hit the pavement, lift the rear wheel, and spin her leftward across the opposite lane, through the ditch, and into the front yard where the fire department and medics were having their annual picnic. The bad news was she crashed. The good news was that the medic response time was seconds instead of minutes.

Last edited:
I had my mechanic disable mine through a switch under the fairing, he unplugged it. Said the wire work around wasn't the best way to disable the feature. On my 2012 r1200GS, it's under the left front area in front of the tank. Took him 5 minutes to remove the plastic and disconnect it.

Yes, it's a safety feature, but I preferred not to have to deal with an arrant circuit leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere on the Alcan, BC/Yukon or Ak.

From a convenience standpoint I'd rather the bike would start on the side stand. Then I think of the number of times I rode my airhead off a ferry with the stand down...never dumped it, but came very close a couple of times. The boat workers are pretty good at noticing and pointing this out to riders as they leave the boats. (The ferries are a hotspot for this problem because we tend to sit on the upright bikes and let them idle during the minute or two the boat is getting snugged into the dock. It's easy to leave the stand down for stability "just in case" the boat shoves sideways during this maneuver. Bikes exit first, and no one wants to hold up traffic, so when workers finally drop the rope it's easy to forget the stand is down. :banghead)

I had my mechanic disable mine through a switch under the fairing, he unplugged it. Said the wire work around wasn't the best way to disable the feature. On my 2012 r1200GS, it's under the left front area in front of the tank. Took him 5 minutes to remove the plastic and disconnect it.

Yes, it's a safety feature, but I preferred not to have to deal with an arrant circuit leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere on the Alcan, BC/Yukon or Ak.

I am surprised that a professional mechanic would do that, given the liability issue it creates for the mechanic and the business in which he is employed. IMHO better he should show you the location of the connector and how to access it, then leave it connected so you still have that safety feature in effect for the 99.99999% of the time that it is functioning correctly—especially when it only takes 5 minutes to disable. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

IMHO better he should show you the location of the connector and how to access it, then leave it connected so you still have that safety feature in effect for the 99.99999% of the time that it is functioning correctly—especially when it only takes 5 minutes to disable. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

I agree.:thumb

My current bike (not a BMW) will start with the sidestand down as long as it’s in neutral. If I shift into gear with the sidestand down, the engine cuts out. I would never disable this safety feature.

I figured this was a safety requirement on all modern bikes - - I am surprised to learn that it isn’t.

I am surprised that a professional mechanic would do that, given the liability issue it creates for the mechanic and the business in which he is employed. IMHO better he should show you the location of the connector and how to access it, then leave it connected so you still have that safety feature in effect for the 99.99999% of the time that it is functioning correctly—especially when it only takes 5 minutes to disable. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

What liability? I'd have to sue him for him to suffer any repercussions from meeting my request to disconnect it. We have a better relationship than that, he knows I have enough integrity to not put him on the hook for something I asked him to specifically perform. Would he do the same for others, no clue, don't care. :thumb

What liability? I'd have to sue him for him to suffer any repercussions from meeting my request to disconnect it. We have a better relationship than that, he knows I have enough integrity to not put him on the hook for something I asked him to specifically perform. Would he do the same for others, no clue, don't care. :thumb

There can just about always be liability when a jury says there is. You have no real idea how you might react were you badly injured, say made a quadriplegic, and driven into bankruptcy by loss of ability to work, medical bills and needing lifetime around the clock care. Nor can you predict how your heirs would react were you killed. There was a fellow here in Montana making side stands for airheads that did not retract automatically by spring pressure when the weight was taken off the stand. The stands were also much easier to deploy than the stock stands. A fellow bought one, and remember it was sold as not auto retracting; the buyer got exactly what he asked for. He forgot to raise the side stand, wrecked his bike and died as a result. The late rider's widow sued the maker of the side stand and won, thus driving the maker into bankruptcy. I'd bet a $100 to a donut that the rider would have sworn neither he nor his wife would never sue the maker if he was injured as a result of using the side stand.

There can just about always be liability when a jury says there is.

That requires filing a law suit.

You have no real idea how you might react were you badly injured, say made a quadriplegic, and driven into bankruptcy by loss of ability to work, medical bills and needing lifetime around the clock care.

Retired, though others may be in those circumstances.

Nor can you predict how your heirs would react were you killed.

And they'd know it was the switch I had disabled that resulted in an accident? How?

There was a fellow here in Montana making side stands for airheads that did not retract automatically by spring pressure when the weight was taken off the stand. The stands were also much easier to deploy than the stock stands. A fellow bought one, and remember it was sold as not auto retracting; the buyer got exactly what he asked for. He forgot to raise the side stand, wrecked his bike and died as a result. The late rider's widow sued the maker of the side stand and won, thus driving the maker into bankruptcy. I'd bet a $100 to a donut that the rider would have sworn neither he nor his wife would never sue the maker if he was injured as a result of using the side stand.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

You start your bike with the side stand down in gear it takes of and rams a minivan with a soccer mom and a boat load of kids, she freaks out, swerves hard and rolls the van, kids hurt...

Insurance companies get involved, someone finds out your bike starts in gear with the side stand down. Everybody gets sued and the courts straighten it out.

Sure, it is a far out possibility, but it can happen. If you are aware of the possibilities and willing to take the risk, fine. I'm just saying crap happens, so don't assume. We all know you are a great rider, years of experience, it would never happen to you....

I know a guy that thought safety chains on a trailer were a pain. After losing a trailer on the interstate, it goes across the interstate and freaks out a soccer mom with a van full of kids she crashes............he believes in safety chains today! His insurance covered him for most of it. He still had tens of thousands in legal fees he had to cover.

I guess one can sue for any reason. If the courts can't see that this particular one is frivolous then we're all lost. :laugh

He is just fishing for a settlement. For his attorney's rather significant fees plus some pocket money he would go away. These things settle more often than not because trials and appeals are expensive. Oh, and then they will want a non-disclosure agreement with a non-disparagement clause too.

Back