Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MC gear that isn't MC gear

MC gear that isn't MC gear

Looking for a rain shell to replace a really tough, feature laden Patagonia shell I'd had for many years. I'll probably look at ski-stuff (though I want un insulated for year round use) but it occurred to me that there MIGHT be a motorcycle gear maker who can fill the bill as some of the best-made apparel I've used is motorcycle gear . Aside from no armour, I have specific thoughts:
    all season- shell only
    mid-thigh length
    pit zips
    tough (ie not just waterproof nylon- maybe a 2 or 3 layer goretex or equivalent)
    no large branding
    more than 2 pockets
    under $600 (preferably sub $500)
    AND THE BIGGEST HURDLE:
    NOT MADE IN CHINA.

my Roadcrafter shell is TOO tough and heavy (and unstylish) and the Olympia rain jacket (from the 3 in 1 is too short and light (and Chinese made)

I justify posting this in a motorcycle forum thinking that we spend a lot on good gear and just possibly there is stuff out there that can do double duty- especially for us northerner riders who have a shorter riding season. Anyway- it'll be interesting to hear what gear you wear not riding-even if it isn't a stylish goretex rain shell!

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

I've been using one of these for years on and off the bike. Motoport Rain Jacket
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Have you considered sailing gear?

Check at back packing store for a Gore-Tex shell.
    For quite a few years we used Marmont shells we purchased from a back packing store.
    Buy at end of the season for a discount.
    They have vents and a hood that stored in the collar. I like having a hood for off the bike if it's raining.

My wife has her rain jacket on in this picture.
    Name:  P1000912.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  341.7 KB
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Check at back packing store for a Gore-Tex shell.
    I see REI has four outlets in New York state:

https://www.rei.com/map/store
    Rinty

Well, you either have a jacket that incorporates goretex or you put a rain suit over yours. We’re talking motorcycles here, so you’ll have elbow, shoulder, and back protectors.

For rain suits, see BMW, Rukka, Triumph, Ducati. You need something fairly substantial to avoid flapping in the wind. This is seldom in the design criteria for non motorcycle items.

Living in the Southwest, I seldom ride much in ultra cold conditions, and therefor survive year around with an Airflow suit with Gerbing heated gear underneath. Then and sometimes also in more mild weather,my rain suit serves as much as an airflow stopper as actual rain protection. Two-piece rain suit is orders of magnitude easier to put on along side a road than a one-piece, and there’s really no downside when comparing. I wear the top way more often than the pants, another nice feature.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Good ideas all. I am a member of REI and have been perusing their offerings; unfortunately their closest bricks and mortar is 1 1/2 hours away. Actually saw a decent Patagonia shell in a clothing store-Interestingly it has a poly (?) coating on the Goretex which the Motorsport site brags about NOT having! Motorsport also touts their American made gear which can accommodate liners (cool- I mean warm!) I’m taking a mini vacation in Cape Cod and ran across a Barbour which I had dismissed as too warm- but they also have a surprisingly light waterproof jacket- “car coat” length. As my road master is my dedicated MC jacket, the Barbour is now also I. The running- I have to do some research- it’s extremely well made but I’m not sure if it’s suitability for warm weather- it is very tempting nevertheless. Also it may be a little too classy for this guy! On the other hand, there is sometimes a reason that something is iconic. Anyway- I’m actually enjoying the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Good ideas all. I am a member of REI and have been perusing their offerings; unfortunately their closest bricks and mortar is 1 1/2 hours away.
    Sounds like a good excuse for a ride to me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Not motorcycle gear

When I started riding I had waterproof hi-viz stuff that I found at farm stores or stuff for construction workers. Not the cheap plastic stuff but heavier canvas type stuff.

I wear high end ski gloves fro cold weather riding. In my 20 years of working ski hills good gloves were key. The Marmot Ultimate ski glove and Hestra’s top of the line gloves were two of the best. I’ve ridden in -15°C with heated grips and no issues.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Sounds like a good excuse for a ride to me.
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

Spent a few days in cape cod- found a nice clothing store- tried on a few Barbours- found a light nice cool (priceyish) jacket that I really like- done!
    The Motorcycle gear avenue just didn't pan out- but the suggestions were all good- pretty much! Got me thinking and I realize that except for socks and underpants there is virtually no gear I wear off the motorcycle or vice versa. "Virtually" I do have a leather vest that I'll occasionally wear off the bike. I don't even like to ride even locally in street jeans- though I have on occasion. and of course I'll wear street clothes under the Roadcrafter pants. Oh well- I'll just continue to develop two complete wardrobes!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice stuff here- http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    cool

I went this way:

https://www.barbour.com/us/barbour-i...-cotton-jacket