Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which one is better? Fuel injectors

I had a look at my bike's coding plug, and it is orange, what does that mean for a 1998 R1100r bike?
    (don't mean to hijack the thread... but the Tills injectors did make a noticeable improvement in my case)

The MAX parts list shows a red plug - but if the bike starts easily, runs well, doesn't pop on decel, gets decent mileage (over 40 mpg on a long straight) and doesn't smoke... can't argue with what works...

Roger has an excellent review of which plug is for which bike, from a May 2015 (?) post. Search for "CCP Coding Explained".

These bikes are ANTIQUES!
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    The MAX parts list shows a red plug - but if the bike starts easily, runs well, doesn't pop on decel, gets decent mileage (over 40 mpg on a long straight) and doesn't smoke... can't argue with what works...

Roger has an excellent review of which plug is for which bike, from a May 2015 (?) post. Search for "CCP Coding Explained".
    Here’s the thread you’re referring to: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...l=1#post994823

Quote Originally Posted by cam_on_van_isle View Post
    I had a look at my bike's coding plug, and it is orange, what does that mean for a 1998 R1100r bike?
    (don't mean to hijack the thread... but the Tills injectors did make a noticeable improvement in my case)
    As Paul mentioned you’ve probably got a orange-like Yellow plug for the R1100RT in Closed Loop. Plug swaps were usually an attempt to improve surging. The stock closed-loop plug for an 1100R is Pink (Rose). The differences are small.
    Last edited by roger 04 rt; 10-28-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks for the link (I only saved parts of it in .txt!) and all the work that went into it!

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    Yes. You have the yellow coding plug which means closed loop should work unless someone disconnected the O2 sensor (under the tank). With the O2 and Closed Loop working, the matched R1200 injectors should work perfectly. The extra fuel they spray at low engine load is quickly compensated by the motronic and your plugs won’t foul. So since they did, something is not quite right.
    Roger,

Since the GS1200 injectors did not work perfectly in my bike, I would assume that the O2 sensor must be disconnected. Is there any reason why a mechanic might have intentionally disconnected the O2 sensor? If it is disconnected and needs to be reconnected, what difference will I notice with it reconnected?

Paul
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Paul,
    Did you buy your bike new or might a previous owner have tried to fix a surging problem?

Many Oilhead riders tried disconnecting the O2 and/or removing/changing the Coding Plug as a way to reduce surging. The results were mixed, some felt there were improvements, others didn’t.

The R1100 fueling tables were setup for gasoline without ethanol, so when a rider today uses E10, if they’ve disconnected the O2 or removed the coding plug, their bike is runs an additional 4% leaner than stock.

If the O2 is reconnected (and if it has been disconnected), I doubt you’ll notice much difference. It might possibly improve the bike. The big change would be that your R1200 injectors should work fine—maybe no improvement, because they don’t do much that’s different from the stock injectors—and not foul your plugs.

If you want a truly better fueled bike, rather than add the matched R1200 injectors, try an AF-XIED—it’ll add fuel, which the R1100s really like.

The other thing to think about, is if you’re happy with the bike as it is, just ride and enjoy it and not worry about why the R1200 injectors did work.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    Paul,
    Did you buy your bike new or might a previous owner have tried to fix a surging problem?

Many Oilhead riders tried disconnecting the O2 and/or removing/changing the Coding Plug as a way to reduce surging. The results were mixed, some felt there were improvements, others didn’t.

The R1100 fueling tables were setup for gasoline without ethanol, so when a rider today uses E10, if they’ve disconnected the O2 or removed the coding plug, their bike is runs an additional 4% leaner than stock.

If the O2 is reconnected (and if it has been disconnected), I doubt you’ll notice much difference. It might possibly improve the bike. The big change would be that your R1200 injectors should work fine—maybe no improvement, because they don’t do much that’s different from the stock injectors—and not foul your plugs.

If you want a truly better fueled bike, rather than add the matched R1200 injectors, try an AF-XIED—it’ll add fuel, which the R1100s really like.

The other thing to think about, is if you’re happy with the bike as it is, just ride and enjoy it and not worry about why the R1200 injectors did work.
    Roger,

I bought the bike at 113,000 km, which is now at 234,000. If the O2 sensor is not connected, it was either done by the previous owner or one of the mechanics that worked on my bike over the years.

It has always run well and even better with the 1200 injectors, but for now I am happy to have the bike running without having to worry about the plugs. When it is in to a mechanic (which isn't that often), I'll have the O2 sensor checked.

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Paul
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

So, I just swapped in the Tills injectors into the bike yesterday and did a resynch. 97K on the original injectors. My idle is a little low so I need to fix that but the idle is smoother at 1000 rpm now than it was at 1250 with the old injectors with the same plugs and valve settings. Slightly better throttle response as it seems it takes less twist to get the same power rolling on the throttle. Seems generally happier just cruising at 45-50 mph and then much smoother on freeway at 80 mph but that could be the re-sync though its never been as smooth even after same sync process before.

One of the better bang for the buck adds it seems.

Btw, my bike has a Power Commander which I have set half-way between the optimum or stock air/fuel ratio and the Power Commander suggested air/fuel ratio.
    Signature