Thread: How to replace the battery in keyless ride FOB? 2017 RT

How to replace the battery in keyless ride FOB? 2017 RT

Read the instructions and it says push "up" on the cover to expose the battery. Tried and mine doesn't budge in any direction. Is there some trick to this?

Capture.JPG
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

Tried mine too. Couldn't get it to budge. Then I looked on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIbdzC5rqGA
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    Tried mine too. Couldn't get it to budge. Then I looked on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIbdzC5rqGA
    So just push really hard...it worked. Thx.
    2012 R1200RT

Brute force and ignorance are called for.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Naval Engineering....

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Brute force and ignorance are called for.
    Ditto. Just went through this drill when the yellow triangle lit up. As a Navy Master Chief once told me, "If force doesn't work you're not using enough." I also wound up using a screwdriver blade to help nudge it free.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '17 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    Ditto. Just went through this drill when the yellow triangle lit up. As a Navy Master Chief once told me, "If force doesn't work you're not using enough." I also wound up using a screwdriver blade to help nudge it free.
    I believe it’s the Brits who maintain that “Any tool can be a hammer, but a screwdriver makes the best chisel.” Glad to see this thread and the video as I believe I have a fob battery slowly dying.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I use the sharp blade of my best pocket knife to pry mine open
    It’s the o-ring that holds it fast
    Biggest tip I have is to use quality batteries either Panasonic or Duracell,buy a couple spares. The cheap Chinese junk only lasts about 60 days

Jim

I mistakenly thought the little key battery symbol was saying my fob battery was at half strength. Luckily I checked the manual and it said it means replace it.

Capturea.JPG
    2012 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    I mistakenly thought the little key battery symbol was saying my fob battery was at half strength. Luckily I checked the manual and it said it means replace it.

Capturea.JPG
    Yeah, replace the battery, or the damn thing will eventually NOT start. As our cell site maintenance techs say, “If it won’t work, get a bigger hammer!”

Both Annie and I recently got a symbol on our dashes of a key with a question mark. Turnsout that means the bike cannot detect the fob. It happened to me first when we were riding and the bike continued to run normally, but when we stopped it would not restart. Changed batteries a few times but it did not solve the problem. I restarted it by putting the fob under the rear fender near the sensor. We happened to be in Missoula near Big Sky BMW and they checked it and it was showing two different key codes. They cleared them and repaired the fob and all was well. It nexted happened when we were in Colorado and would come and go on both bikes. Annie reasoned out that we had both recently switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold communicators and that we both wear our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. Perhaps too close she thought even though we had worn them there for two years while using Sena 20Ss. I, of course, poo-pooed her idea. She moved her fob to her right pants pocket and the problem ceased and has not reoccured in a couple thousand miles. I quietly moved mine to my pants pocket and have not had an issue since.

The Packtalk is not Bluetooth and the Mesh technology it uses must interfer with the bike to fob signal just enough to confuse the bike.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Both Annie and I recently got a symbol on our dashes of a key with a question mark. Turnsout that means the bike cannot detect the fob. It happened to me first when we were riding and the bike continued to run normally, but when we stopped it would not restart. Changed batteries a few times but it did not solve the problem. I restarted it by putting the fob under the rear fender near the sensor. We happened to be in Missoula near Big Sky BMW and they checked it and it was showing two different key codes. They cleared them and repaired the fob and all was well. It nexted happened when we were in Colorado and would come and go on both bikes. Annie reasoned out that we had both recently switched to Cardo Packtalk Bold communicators and that we both wear our fobs on a lanyard around our necks. Perhaps too close she thought even though we had worn them there for two years while using Sena 20Ss. I, of course, poo-pooed her idea. She moved her fob to her right pants pocket and the problem ceased and has not reoccured in a couple thousand miles. I quietly moved mine to my pants pocket and have not had an issue since.

The Packtalk is not Bluetooth and the Mesh technology it uses must interfer with the bike to fob signal just enough to confuse the bike.
    Kevin, I know you know you are best off when you listen to Annie's intuition. It saves a lot of time usually.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Kevin, I know you know you are best off when you listen to Annie's intuition. It saves a lot of time usually.
    Where is the fun in that?
    Kevin Huddy