• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600 GTL Transmission Recall

Only ~5,000 K1600 bikes sold? That's wild. I've been wondering how many affected bikes are on the road.

Now I feel like a member in a very exclusive club.

Broken or not, I own the best motorcycle in the world. It's amazing.

The number affected in this recall is 4,672.

I don't think we yet know if this is all K1600s or just a subset of them, by serial number.

It's not all. Here is the description from NHTSA:

"Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts."

The Repairs Are Happening!

While at Iron Horse Motorcycles, Tucson, AZ today (Feb 7th) I saw our sister K1600GT Sport up on the lift getting new transmission shifting forks.

There is a lot to take off, and lots and lots of parts on the bench and table.

The job per initial BMW notification will take 5 hours. That's a lot of work!

All K1600 owners affected by the recall will be called by their shop for scheduling.

A lot of work for the shop for sure.

Picked Up Our K1600GT Sport!

Wanda and I picked up BB our 2019 K1600GT Sport Saturday the 14th of March 2020.

Iron Horse Motorcycles, Tucson, AZ has been doing 4 or 5 K16s a week for the last two weeks, and have several scheduled for next week.

I talked to Lewie (a K16B owner) about his bike that was completed just before ours and we both had a similar observation - smoother shifting.

The shift assist on our K16GT Sport felt smoother, especially in the lower gears. It could just be fresh oil.

Marcus let me look at three of the parts collections that were replaced - a collection of parts being two gears, a bearing and three shift forks.

A new bike with little to no miles looked...well...brand new. The other two bikes had 29,000 and 16,000 miles on them.

To the untrained eye the wear was hard to see until Marcus pointed out some spider webs on the surface of one of the gears from the 29k bike; and one of the shift forks from the 29k bike had a very a small "lip" i'll call it. The 16k bike had no lip that I could see or feel.

This is a very expensive retrofit that BMW has called. A single bike takes about a full day.

Anyway, BB is now home and ready to ride.

Back