• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600 GTL Transmission Recall

wtevritks

I heard this morning that BMW is recalling the K1600 GTL transmission. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Got the recall letter

Yep. No parts available at this time.

From the NHTSA site:
On July 16, 2018, BMW became aware of an incident in Germany involving a Model Year 2018 BMW K 1600B. The rider indicated that at approximately 40mph, the rear wheel became blocked; however, this did not result in a crash. It was initially thought that the transmission could be involved.
The transmission was returned for analysis and the supplier was contacted. Parts were examined, supplier records were reviewed, and a technical analysis was performed. However, a root cause could not be determined, and it was thought that this incident could have been an isolated case.
On September 2, 2019, an incident in Poland was reported involving a Model Year 2018 BMW K 1600GT. The rider indicated that the rear wheel became blocked. The motorcycle was involved in a crash, and the rider experienced a minor injury.
The transmission was returned for analysis and the supplier was contacted. An engineering review was performed, and supplier records were examined. Attention was focused upon the supplier production process. The review concluded that certain transmission parts may not have been produced to sufficient specifications, specifically, to an appropriate hardness level.
On September 24th, a third incident in Belgium was reported involving a Model Year 2018 BMW K 1600B. The rider indicated that the rear wheel became blocked, although it did not result

Update

Just heard from my dealer that parts will be sent out to dealers at the end of December and arriving by first of year. Better later than never I guess.

Yep. No parts available at this time.

From the NHTSA site:
On July 16, 2018, BMW became aware of an incident in Germany involving a Model Year 2018 BMW K 1600B. The rider indicated that at approximately 40mph, the rear wheel became blocked; however, this did not result in a crash. It was initially thought that the transmission could be involved.
The transmission was returned for analysis and the supplier was contacted. Parts were examined, supplier records were reviewed, and a technical analysis was performed. However, a root cause could not be determined, and it was thought that this incident could have been an isolated case.
On September 2, 2019, an incident in Poland was reported involving a Model Year 2018 BMW K 1600GT. The rider indicated that the rear wheel became blocked. The motorcycle was involved in a crash, and the rider experienced a minor injury.
The transmission was returned for analysis and the supplier was contacted. An engineering review was performed, and supplier records were examined. Attention was focused upon the supplier production process. The review concluded that certain transmission parts may not have been produced to sufficient specifications, specifically, to an appropriate hardness level.
On September 24th, a third incident in Belgium was reported involving a Model Year 2018 BMW K 1600B. The rider indicated that the rear wheel became blocked, although it did not result

This somewhat mirrors the rear strut debacle on newly introduced 2014 R1200RT bikes. They also had a DON'T RIDE bulletin. Oh BMW, where art thou QC?

It seems that supplier problems and the related "disconnect" are part of the new "global economy".

This somewhat mirrors the rear strut debacle on newly introduced 2014 R1200RT bikes. They also had a DON'T RIDE bulletin. Oh BMW, where art thou QC?
BMW QC seems to run on the faith that their chosen suppliers are going to operate to BMW standards.

BMW isn't the only one suffering from this problem.........Takata airbags comes to mind.

I wonder if all the Airhead pasts were manufactured in house- pre GE. :dunno

OM

It seems that supplier problems and the related "disconnect" are part of the new "global economy".

BMW QC seems to run on the faith that their chosen suppliers are going to operate to BMW standards.

BMW isn't the only one suffering from this problem.........Takata airbags comes to mind.

OM

According to the paperwork BMW filed with NHTSA, the supplier is American Axle and Manufacturing, headquartered in Detroit but with subsidiaries around the world.

OM
This is the new way of manufacturing. Suppliers are certified for Quality and it is their responsibility to make sure what they supplies meets BMW standards. I work in automotive manufacturing and this is how it is now done. If American Axle is found to have made the defective part then they will be getting a hefty bill from BMW for the repair of these bikes. This is the incentive to make sure you are shipping conforming material.

I've been on the bad side of this a couple of times. It will not be fun for American Axle, but they are a major competitor to us, so I'm smiling a little.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is the new way of manufacturing. Suppliers are certified for Quality and it is their responsibility to make sure what they supplies meets BMW standards. I work in automotive manufacturing and this is how it is now done. If American Axle is found to have made the defective part then they will be getting a hefty bill from BMW for the repair of these bikes. This is the incentive to make sure you are shipping conforming material.

The bill will only be as large as BMW (or for that matter, any other mfg) decides to make it by honoring warranty claims. The problem is that many of these types of defects (like final drive failures, for instance), even tho they are directly a result of a QC problem somewhere in the chain, do not present themselves until the bike is out of warranty by time or mileage. I’d be willing to bet that the agreements with the parts suppliers contain a clause limiting their responsibility to the duration of the warranty issued to the consumer by the manufacturer; BMW in this case. So if those whose failures present after the warranty period or miles expire get any relief from BMW it will be on BMW’s dime. That in turn raises the question of what happens if the defect begins to surface late and widely: legal action to force the supplier to step up, contract re-opening and renegotiation, or ???

Those supplier contracts would make interesting reading, I’m sure.

Best,
DeVern

The description of this issue makes one wonder if there might be a similar issue with some possibly-faulty cam lobes in recent Wetheads. Unfortunately, these seem to be discovered after the 3-year warranty has expired.

Since this is a recall, warranty time limits don't apply. The Mercedes dealership where my daughter works had a 1970s SL come in two years ago for a decades old recall. Mercedes still had the kit earmarked for that VIN in a warehouse.

OM

This is going back some, but who supplied those infamous snowflake wheels?

BMW has released the attached Recall Update notice to its dealers. As is often the case, parts are in short supply. Priority for repairs goes to urgent requests, defined as "a customer bike down [whatever that means], an escalated consumer complaint or a sold unit that is waiting delivery." So if you want to go the the head of the queue, keep complaining to your dealer.

Attachments

• Recall Update.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 24
NHTSA K1600 Recall - Associated Documents

For those who are interested in this situation, the NHTSA recall site has extensive documentation about the issue.

Here is the URL for the main page (https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/BMW/K1600B#recalls). Within the page are a series of downloadable documents which includes BMW's SIB and instructions for the repair: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V692-5659.pdf

Unfortunately, there's nothing which indicates that this is going to be handled quickly with close to 5,000 bikes affected.

Unfortunately, there's nothing which indicates that this is going to be handled quickly with close to 5,000 bikes affected.

Only ~5,000 K1600 bikes sold? That's wild. I've been wondering how many affected bikes are on the road.

Now I feel like a member in a very exclusive club.

Broken or not, I own the best motorcycle in the world. It's amazing.

Back