Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1987 K75S (new to me) with a yellowed windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Just paint the screen black

Mark
    BUT .......... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...... paint the underside, NOT the top.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

JohnWC
    Just in case the topic comes up again I thought I would add my own experience. My k75s had spent a lot of time in New Mexico and the screen was also yellow. I did what I often need to do with worn plastics (headlights) and used a professional grade polishing compound from an auto paint shop and a lambs wool power buffer on it. Without much work it came back clear again. The stuff I use is called " Wizards Finish Cut". I use it on faded car paint also and it does a great job. It's about $30 for a 32 oz bottle. Beware: if you leave it in an unheated garage and let it freeze it will be made useless. I speak from experience.

very good to know!

I will check this out. $30.00 is cheaper then a new screen right now but I may get the tinted brown IF I can not get the screen clear enough.

cheers!

Update

Great news! Although I really was upset at having lost the 1987 Columbia Silver K75S I originally started this thread with I soon came upon a 1987 K75S Black with Red side cases and only 5100 miles on it. Excellent condition (except a broken tail light from moving it in the garage). $2500.00 and it is about 100 miles from my home. He did not have the serial number as the title is at the back in a safety box and although I have not seen it in person I have pictures and they guy sounds like the real deal. He has none of my money yet but we both have a verbal commitment that the exchange will happen this weeks end. 1987 K75S black.jpg 2.jpg

Good deal
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

3 Red Bricks
    It looks like a great find!

While the low odometer reading sounds great (less oportunity for cosmetic deterioration), be aware that many early Ks have, at some point, had their instrument clusters replaced with new zero mile clusters due to abnormally high amount of failures. This is not a negative. Just be aware that it is possible that there are more miles than what the odometerreads. It is ALL about Condition, not mileage.

The best way to get an idea if odometer reading of an excellent condition garaged bike is realistic, is to look at the rider interface wear surfaces. Check the hand grips for any wear. Check the front foot peg rubber for wear compared to the rear ones. Check the shifter lever rubber top and bottom for wear towards the outside tip. Check the key surround and turn signal paddles for wear to the printing. All these items can easily and cheaply be replaced (I do it all the time on bikes that are starting to show their age). The one area that is not cheap to change, that could indicate higher mileage, is the brake pedal. The pointed nubs tend to round off along the right hand edge of the pedal with use.

When dealers replaced the cluster, they almost always put a paper sticker on the frame rail or the top of the tail cowl under the seat stating the mileage when it was replaced. The sticker was whiteish and about 1" x 2". The stickers are not always still there after 30 years.

All that being said, it is still only about CONDITION not mileage.

One thing you WILL want to do, based on the crazy low mileage shown, is check the condition of the inside of the fuel tank. Open the filler cap and remove the four phillips screws that hold the filler assembly to the tank. Use the cap to rock the assembly to break loose the rubber gasket from the tank. Take a flashlight to look inside. The tank is aluminum, so the inside SHOULD be shiney silver. Fuel (especially the new ethanolated fuel) inside the tank of a bike that has sat alot can break down and attack the rubber fuel pump surround (vibration damper), causing it to dissolve. This can coat the inside of the tank with a brownish film. It can also deposit disolved rubber right at the base of the pump where the pump can suck it up and kill the pump.

Also run your fingers along the left bottom seam of the tank feeling for soft paint or missing paint. Since the tank is aluminum, it will not rust, but it can corrode. The left lower seam about halfway back is the most likely spot as it is the deepest spot. Look from inside to see if you see any dull gray rough area there.

The red saddlebag lids came off a different bike. They appear to be (photo low quality) second generation bags that use the same key as the ignition. '87s came with first generation (not as good). If you ever want to replace them, get third generation bags (much better).

New tailights are relatively expensive ($163). Used tailights are readily available as all early (pre K1200) used the same light.

Looks like a great find!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by milwlandrover View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I found through the serial number that this is the 865th bike made in the K75 series!
    That is in the K75S series. The K75 C, Rt, and standard all used a different numbering series.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    The best way to get an idea if odometer reading of an excellent condition garaged bike is realistic, is to look at the rider interface wear surfaces. Check the hand grips for any wear. Check the front foot peg rubber for wear compared to the rear ones. Check the shifter lever rubber top and bottom for wear towards the outside tip. Check the key surround and turn signal paddles for wear to the printing. All these items can easily and cheaply be replaced (I do it all the time on bikes that are starting to show their age). The one area that is not cheap to change, that could indicate higher mileage, is the brake pedal. The pointed nubs tend to round off along the right hand edge of the pedal with use.
    Good suggestions.
    I would look at 2 more spots.
    The black paint on the forks tend to wear off with miles. I repainted ours so the original owner may have done the same.
    Also check the rock chips on front of the belly pan. With 5,000 miles this area should look fairly new.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

3 Red Bricks
    865 built in March of 1987.

The '87 models were rated at 75 hp and 11:1 compression.
    Later years were only rated at 70 hp due to a drop in compression to 10.5:1.

So you've got one of the quicker ones!

Only the '87Ss came with the silver drivetrain. Starting in '88 they went to the black drivetrain.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post

So you've got one of the quicker ones!

Only the '87Ss came with the silver drivetrain. Starting in '88 they went to the black drivetrain.

The black was a lot easier to keep looking new.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Great tips

I had in my mind to look for some extra wear but all of your points will make "look" like I know what I am doing. He says he has documentation for the bike. I actually should be worried about the low mileage as a negative as rubber deteriorates with time so tubes and lines could be cracked.
    I promise to send pictures asap.
    thanks

If the bike has not run in a year or two you may want to change the gas and have a good look at the fuel pump damper before starting it.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

3 Red Bricks
    I had in my mind to look for some extra wear but all of your points will make "look" like I know what I am doing. He says he has documentation for the bike. I actually should be worried about the low mileage as a negative as rubber deteriorates with time so tubes and lines could be cracked.
    thanks
    You'll want to do a "baseline" on the bike soon after you get it (check valve adjustment, change all fluids including brake fluid, check fan, check air filter, check all hoses, maybe change brake hoses to stainless,check spark plugs, etc). You need some bonding time with your new bike during the winter.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

response

I already moved my mattress out to the garage.

I just asked to be sure that it was original miles and not a salvage title.
    he said clear title original miles

I told him if I was going to drive up there (1.5 hours north) I would be checking the fuel tank and it should be shinny (he said it was).
    I told him I was going to run my hand along the tank feeling for missing or loose paint (he said I would not).
    I told him I was going to check for excessive wear at the brake pedal, on the foot pegs, on the shift lever (he said I'll find nothing unusual)

He said an old guy bought it and ended up with health problems. He sold it back to the dealer after a long time and the dealer went through it and fixed what was needed.
    then he sold it to this guy who planned on riding it but likes his Harley better. (we are in Wisconsin).

He says he promises I will be looking at a -6000 mile bike.

He said the dealer may have added the bags just to sell it.

So...... sounds like I will check it out and be a BMW owner by weeks end.

thanks
    I bought this one last year with 3,100 original miles. They only rubber it needed, was tires, the "Z" hose and fuel pump, with the associated fuel lines and filter. I did a spline lube, valve check, all the fluids including the radiator and it's been a great ride since.
    K-75_002.jpgK75-015.jpg