• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1987 K75S (new to me) with a yellowed windscreen

The only way that I was able to remove the yellow (and as I recall, I tried several suggestions given to me) was by replacing it with brand new one. :banghead

I hope others can give you more encouraging and successful advice.

You can try some of the headlight restoration products. They are basically plastic poishing kits. I have had some success with them. But I prefer the tinted screens. They don't have that problem. And the smoked brown color would look awesome on your Columbia Silver S.

I would strongly advise NOT going with a taller windscreen on an S not only because they are not as aesthetically pleasing, but most importantly because of how an S windscreen is mounted. There are only four mounting screws holding the screen on and ONLY the bottom two do anything to keep the screen from folding back on you at higher speed. That is why there is a sticker on your bike that states something like "Do not exceed 99mph with windscreen".
Putting a taller screen on increases the leverage on those two bottom screws which are only held to two press in plastic expanding nuts, which after 32-33 years and do not have the original holding ability, is not a good idea unless ALL your riding is below the posted speed limits.

As to how easy to change; one phillips screwdriver and:

46 63 1 455 427 WINDSHIELD -Tinted $159.08
or
46 63 1 456 017 WINDSHIELD -Clear $152.73

plus

46 63 1 455 053 GASKET LEFT $11.28 one each

Gasket for windscreen LHS, K75S. When installing these, the rough side should be out. Any adhesive on this part would stick to the windscreen. Giving you access to the fairing screws when the windscreen and gasket are removed together.

46 63 1 455 054 GASKET RIGHT $11.28 one each

Gasket for windscreen RHS, K75S. When installing these, the rough side should be out. Any adhesive on this part would stick to the windscreen. Giving you access to the fairing screws when the windscreen and gasket are removed together.

52 53 1 451 393 EXPANDING NUT $2.23 you need four

By the way, beautiful S. What are the last 4 numbers of the VIN. Ss were numbered consecuitively throughout their 10 years of production for the US starting with 150001. I have 0005 and 0081 plus 4 more. Yours is going to be within the first 900. Probably much lower. They only produced 4600 for the US over 10 years. There are most assuredly less than 3000 left. Probably closer to 2000 than 3000.

What's the mileage? Sure looks low (or crazy well cared for).

You also have the rare passenger handhold delete option which indicates that it probably came originally with the equally rare factory solo seat (which is currently not on the bike).

:dance:dance:dance

response

You sir, have a very good eye.

Thank you very much for the wind screen info as it was very helpful. I agree that the brown tinted wind screen would look pretty cool.
I don't have the bike yet, I should be picking it up in the next 10 days or so.
it is 50,863 miles on it and it looks like brand new.
never dropped, never beat.
He loves the bike but his brother in law died and left him a Harley (I am in Milwaukee) and his wife likes riding on the back of that better.
Because I don't have the bike yet, I don't have the VIN number but I will surely be looking into that.
Lastly he has the original solo seat with the bike (in great condition).
He rode almost always with his wife so it makes sense that he would have taken it off.
The condition and the color are the reasons I am buying the bike.
can't wait for spring.

Adding the passenger grab handles would be easy if you wanted (other than having to have them paint matched). Just remove the bolt hole covers and attach.

Prepainted parts are no longer available (only in primer) and finding the handles in good condition in the right color on the used market when you need them is next to impossible especially in the one year only Columbia Silver.

More so than the grab handles, the thing that makes two up more secure feeling for the passenger is the small BMW 22L top box that is made for the bike. It mounts to the optional rear rack (that is not on your bike) and gives a secure "stop" to keep from worrying about sliding off the back. With that in place, passengers don't have to hold on to anything. Mostly just a little inward knee pressure is enough for keeping comfortable in everything except the most aggressive canyon riding. These parts can be added to your bike at any time. The black rear rack stays permanently mounted and the top box comes on and off in a couple of seconds. It is small enough that it doesn't destroy the lines of an S like the larger RT or Givi boxes. I stock many used and some new parts for Ss.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1987-BMW-K-75-S-5009540082 Also an '87 (not mine)

Mounting the factory rack requires some special drilling techniques, so if you ever decide to do that please reach out to me and either I can do it for you or talk you through it.

the small BMW 22L top box that is made for the bike. It mounts to the optional rear rack (that is not on your bike) and gives a secure "stop" to keep from worrying about sliding off the back. With that in place, passengers don't have to hold on to anything. Mostly just a little inward knee pressure is enough for keeping comfortable in everything except the most aggressive canyon riding. These parts can be added to your bike at any time. The black rear rack stays permanently mounted and the top box comes on and off in a couple of seconds. It is small enough that it doesn't destroy the lines of an S like the larger RT or Givi boxes.

I agree, we really liked the 22 liter top box we used on our K75Ts and K75Ss.
Large enough to hold things we would need during the day, small enough to still look sporty.

Oct 1992 SW Trip_0027.jpg

response

Thanks for all your help and advise. I enjoy riding (1) up so I think I will leave the back box off for now.
I will most likely get the brown tinted screen though.
This is a great site.... I love the help and the encouragement.
It is also a treat to see all the great Flying Brick and what you guys are doing to keep them in such excellent condition.
It is kind of a drag to buy a bike so late in the riding season but I will get through it by dreaming about the end of a Wisconsin Winter and putting some miles on this beauty.
Thanks once again.

Cheers!

markw

I think there must be something with guys named Lee and K75Ss.

View attachment 75995

View attachment 75996

That is some serious K75 hoarding. How do you decide which one to ride? Eeny meeny miney moe?

As long as it’s the Sport model you hoard, I’m okay with that. I find the square headlight on the S and RT aren’t complementary to the K75 “look”. I prefer the round headlamp on the Standard. So hoard away there. :thumb

That is some serious K75 hoarding. How do you decide which one to ride? Eeny meeny miney moe?

I ride the second one in (serial# 0081).

The first one is #0005 and was a photo/press bike owned by BMW NA for the first two years of its life. It is awaiting restoration.

The third bike is the bike I built for my wife. She's 5'4" and can easily flat foot it with both feet. It has a 28" saddle height (vs 32"). See top photo-front bike. She now has an F700GS low seat low suspension (first gray bike in the line).

The blue C at the far end has been sold. The rest are Ss that are in non-op waiting for time and interest. I only have so much space so I can't buy any more:)

Production info

Thanks for all the info. I found through the serial number that this is the 865th bike made in the K75 series!

question about production numbers

The 4600 number you gave me is that for K bikes in general or the K75 in specific or would that be a mores specific number for the K75S.

I know it is just a number and it didn't really matter until I heard you say it but now I am trying to put it all together.

Is there a way to find how may K75S's were built and painted the Columbia Silver in 1987?

Since I can't have the Shelby I'll offer the OP some advice. Try headlight restoration goo from a local auto parts house. It's probably the same or similar material as a headlight lens so it "should" work. Tinted looks best though. I've painted the underside of clear screens before, and that works well. Now Krylon has a removable translucent spray that can be used as well. Keep the S! We loved ours.
056BEE10-959D-4F07-B6F9-969F7A82BAF4.JPG

Response

Thank you for your input. I pick mine up the first week on November. Wisconsin weather probably won't let me ride her until Spring, so I am mourning and keeping busy by researching. I think I have hit most sites and reference sites. I am looking for these little winter projects I can do during the down time to get familiar with the bike. I find everyone on the site (and on a couple other sites) extremely helpful and welcoming and encouraging. I just went through a rough break up of a 40 year marriage, a diagnosis of MS and am starting to ride after a long hiatus. Short trips at first but I will see what these old bones will do. I think I picked the correct steed so I am ahead of the game already.

Cheers!
markw

Back