• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1987 K75S (new to me) with a yellowed windscreen

And the smoked brown color would look awesome on your Columbia Silver S.

46 63 1 455 427 WINDSHIELD -Tinted $159.08

That's very reasonable for a OEM tinted shield.

Seems like a tinted shield for our R1200RS is over $400.

I thought so too

I think I will go with the smoked brown. The gentleman that suggested it sounded like he know his stuff. That is why I come here. Sometimes it is not what you know but the willingness to listen to opinions and make an informed decision.

The 4600 number you gave me is that for K bikes in general or the K75 in specific or would that be a mores specific number for the K75S.

I know it is just a number and it didn't really matter until I heard you say it but now I am trying to put it all together.

Is there a way to find how may K75S's were built and painted the Columbia Silver in 1987?

Mark,

BMW imported 4600 K75Ss to the United States.

The US K75Ss VIN #s. uniquely ended with 15xxxx. The first US K75S, from May of 1986 (marketed as an'87 model), was 150001. The last one, made 9/94 as a '95model was 154600.

They made 965 '87 K75Ss. They were early on all Metallic Red. They then added black and Columbia Silver. For '88 they were all Marakesh Red. I don't believe they used Columbia Silver again. So I would guess there were around 300 Columbia Silver K75Ss ever sent to the US.

Yours was made in March of 1987, the second to last month of '87 model production.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
:thumb
A friend did that to his windshield and it does look sharp. Remember, with that windscreen, you are not looking through it.

If I tried to get my head down into a position where I could look through that windshield I'm not sure I could ever get my back straightened out. :)

My apologies

I am sorry, I thought it was just a sarcastic comment. I should keep an open mind. I really appreciate all your input. Like I said I am coming off a rough patch in my life and I'm thinking a "K" bike would be the ticket to put my life into perspective. It is a process just convincing me to take the leap. I was ready this morning after I saw all the above replies and the guy said he was going to pull it off the market. I will try to convince him to sell yet but if it doesn't happen.... it doesn't happen. I know where to go when I find another bike that I like. At least I met some great people
be safe and enjoy!

cheers!
Beemer.png

Mark,

If the S doesn't come through, you might look at a K75RT. While not as sexy as an S, it does offer much better cold weather protection which would widen your riding season a bit. On an S, you are relying more on your gear to keep you warmer and out of the wind.

The S is better in hot weather, as the RT fairing is so efficient that it puts you in a bubble of dead air that gets very warm in hot weather.

But an S is more fun and you will get lots of compliments from riders and non riders at stops.

Good luck and let us know on this thread how it works out. :thumb

aready on the hunt

I am already looking at a 1993 K775S with only 28,248 miles for $3000.00 asking and a 2005 K1200S for $4600.00 asking with 60,000 miles
I see the K1200S only weighs a few pounds more is light years ahead in technology and sexiness but may not be a great tour bike...

Just in case the topic comes up again I thought I would add my own experience. My k75s had spent a lot of time in New Mexico and the screen was also yellow. I did what I often need to do with worn plastics (headlights) and used a professional grade polishing compound from an auto paint shop and a lambs wool power buffer on it. Without much work it came back clear again. The stuff I use is called " Wizards Finish Cut". I use it on faded car paint also and it does a great job. It's about $30 for a 32 oz bottle. Beware: if you leave it in an unheated garage and let it freeze it will be made useless. I speak from experience.

very good to know!

I will check this out. $30.00 is cheaper then a new screen right now but I may get the tinted brown IF I can not get the screen clear enough.

cheers!

Update

Great news! Although I really was upset at having lost the 1987 Columbia Silver K75S I originally started this thread with I soon came upon a 1987 K75S Black with Red side cases and only 5100 miles on it. Excellent condition (except a broken tail light from moving it in the garage). $2500.00 and it is about 100 miles from my home. He did not have the serial number as the title is at the back in a safety box and although I have not seen it in person I have pictures and they guy sounds like the real deal. He has none of my money yet but we both have a verbal commitment that the exchange will happen this weeks end. 1987 K75S black.jpg 2.jpg

It looks like a great find!

While the low odometer reading sounds great (less oportunity for cosmetic deterioration), be aware that many early Ks have, at some point, had their instrument clusters replaced with new zero mile clusters due to abnormally high amount of failures. This is not a negative. Just be aware that it is possible that there are more miles than what the odometerreads. It is ALL about Condition, not mileage.

The best way to get an idea if odometer reading of an excellent condition garaged bike is realistic, is to look at the rider interface wear surfaces. Check the hand grips for any wear. Check the front foot peg rubber for wear compared to the rear ones. Check the shifter lever rubber top and bottom for wear towards the outside tip. Check the key surround and turn signal paddles for wear to the printing. All these items can easily and cheaply be replaced (I do it all the time on bikes that are starting to show their age). The one area that is not cheap to change, that could indicate higher mileage, is the brake pedal. The pointed nubs tend to round off along the right hand edge of the pedal with use.

When dealers replaced the cluster, they almost always put a paper sticker on the frame rail or the top of the tail cowl under the seat stating the mileage when it was replaced. The sticker was whiteish and about 1" x 2". The stickers are not always still there after 30 years.

All that being said, it is still only about CONDITION not mileage.

One thing you WILL want to do, based on the crazy low mileage shown, is check the condition of the inside of the fuel tank. Open the filler cap and remove the four phillips screws that hold the filler assembly to the tank. Use the cap to rock the assembly to break loose the rubber gasket from the tank. Take a flashlight to look inside. The tank is aluminum, so the inside SHOULD be shiney silver. Fuel (especially the new ethanolated fuel) inside the tank of a bike that has sat alot can break down and attack the rubber fuel pump surround (vibration damper), causing it to dissolve. This can coat the inside of the tank with a brownish film. It can also deposit disolved rubber right at the base of the pump where the pump can suck it up and kill the pump.

Also run your fingers along the left bottom seam of the tank feeling for soft paint or missing paint. Since the tank is aluminum, it will not rust, but it can corrode. The left lower seam about halfway back is the most likely spot as it is the deepest spot. Look from inside to see if you see any dull gray rough area there.

The red saddlebag lids came off a different bike. They appear to be (photo low quality) second generation bags that use the same key as the ignition. '87s came with first generation (not as good). If you ever want to replace them, get third generation bags (much better).

New tailights are relatively expensive ($163). Used tailights are readily available as all early (pre K1200) used the same light.

Looks like a great find!

The best way to get an idea if odometer reading of an excellent condition garaged bike is realistic, is to look at the rider interface wear surfaces. Check the hand grips for any wear. Check the front foot peg rubber for wear compared to the rear ones. Check the shifter lever rubber top and bottom for wear towards the outside tip. Check the key surround and turn signal paddles for wear to the printing. All these items can easily and cheaply be replaced (I do it all the time on bikes that are starting to show their age). The one area that is not cheap to change, that could indicate higher mileage, is the brake pedal. The pointed nubs tend to round off along the right hand edge of the pedal with use.

Good suggestions.
I would look at 2 more spots.
The black paint on the forks tend to wear off with miles. I repainted ours so the original owner may have done the same.
Also check the rock chips on front of the belly pan. With 5,000 miles this area should look fairly new.

865 built in March of 1987.

The '87 models were rated at 75 hp and 11:1 compression.
Later years were only rated at 70 hp due to a drop in compression to 10.5:1.

So you've got one of the quicker ones!

Only the '87Ss came with the silver drivetrain. Starting in '88 they went to the black drivetrain.

Back