• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why do we pick on BMW seats?

I'm batting .500. My '11 R1200r has a seat that about killed me, an airhawk seat cushion has made it bearable, I was going to have a Mayer seat made in Tennessee but before they could wait on me, I needed to go get another beer and the walk must have sobered me up enough to convince me I didn't need to spend the money (what to they say about the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider?). My '18 R1200rt on the other hand has been great, no adjustment or additional cushion needed.

I've owned 4 BMW's, many other bikes and have never had a custom seat. Ride more and get good underwear :1drink

… i must be BMW's ergo model as nothing else on the bikes is non-stock either. no risers, no bar-backs, no peg lowering, no tall windscreens or anything else. stock ergo's are perfect. all day. and...i only ride "S" models.

Same for me, although I have tried higher/lower windshields on a couple of bikes over the years, then returned to the stock shield as best for me. I do not believe we are "ergo models" at all. I believe motorcycle touring is mostly a mental effort rather than physical … if you really want to tour on a bike, any bike, you will adjust as necessary to that bike. Just my opinion, so hope nobody gets their panties in a wad. :)

Got a Seat Concepts seat thinking it was a better option, no real difference from the stock seat but the grippy surface. I'm sure the more expensive models are better but I'm not forking over the cash when I could just get off and walk around.

Some people sit on a wooden barstool for hours and complain about being in a saddle for two?

… Some people sit on a wooden barstool for hours and complain about being in a saddle for two?

Actually never seen anyone last that long. The barfly either falls off the stool about once an hour, or staggers to the bathroom about once every 20 minutes. :hungover

2019 F850GS...standard BMW seat was good for 80 miles, then the pressure points started to flare. Bought a Sargent, can now do twice that distance before any thought of seat pressure comes up. The stock seat on F/GS isn't designed to support a "complete" butt. THe mere fact Sargent's and others have a wider platform helps spread the weight for less concentrated pressure points. Had a '96 RT, seat was terrible...pushed one into the tank. Had stock seats on '14 through '18 RT's and they were much better. Not every model has an early pain producing design for me.

Some people sit on a wooden barstool for hours and complain about being in a saddle for two?

Maybe. But for sure many many farmers have sat for hours on solid steel tractor seats and could still walk at the end of the day. Also, many many wranglers have sat on leather saddles that are as firm as the top of my desk and ridden for hours. Shape and support are everything. Cushy usually not so much.

I have sat on steel tractors seats. Yes, they have the shape down just right! But I disagree about a bit of padding. The difference is that a farmer gets on and off the tractor seat ever so often to oil or grease something, get something out of the way, etc. Just like a Motor Cop, they get some relief by getting on and off.

I get that making your butt conform and tuffen up to a seat works. Bicycle riders do this. But I don't ride every day, or even every week at times. I need a seat I can get on and do 800+ miles with no pain. Discomfort is one thing. Pain can be avoided completely with a good seat.

I know quite a few farmers/ranchers and none of them is riding on a steel seat these days. They are in a comfy seat fit for a luxury RV in an air conditioned and heated cab listening to music while they do their work. Their's is a life of long hours in tough weather but sitting on steel is not among their problems these days.

I know quite a few farmers/ranchers and none of them is riding on a steel seat these days. They are in a comfy seat fit for a luxury RV in an air conditioned and heated cab listening to music while they do their work. Their's is a life of long hours in tough weather but sitting on steel is not among their problems these days.

You missed the past tense reference where I said "have sat." :dunno

Back