Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do we pick on BMW seats?

seats

Well, I have had a dozen or so seats, on airheads and now a k1600.The stock seat on my R100T was ok, but I bought and installed a Corbin because more comfort was promised. Turned out not to be so, too hard and too wide. After that, riding stock r50/5 and r100rt seats was much like the T, ok until I cut out some of the foam and made them narrower and lower (I'm a short a**). A few years ago I got a Russell day long for the T; Very comfortable but also too high and wide which made stopping somewhat of a challenge, especially 2 up.
    But the K1600 stock seat was a complete torture rack. On my first ride of about 150 miles I thought it was the worst thing I had ever sat on. But I persevered and now, after year or so of riding, it suits me fine. As previously stated by lkchris, it may be an athletic (but I would say, more accurately, just a physical) activity and you really do have do it and train your body to get it used to it. If you are just going out for a 20 mile Sunday morning ride for a cup of coffee, IMHO, any old seat will do, but if you are heading from Seattle to Boston and want to do 300 plus miles a day, you either take time to get used to your seat or get a seat that suits you and is a little more comfortable and easier to live with right out of the gate. After a little while, the only difference may be that, when the time comes, you are ready to stop when you have to fuel up and take a pi** or really could have gone another 50 or 100 miles.

Sit and Stand

I truly don't think BMW pays as much engineering attention to seats as they do to the rest of the bike. I have 110,000 miles on Harleys and now about 80,000 on a 2016 R1200RT and a 2018 K1600 bagger. Both Hogs had aftermarket seats by LePera and were supremely comfortable - did 1000+ miles in one day on a 2001 Road King. The RT has a Sargent seat that is better than stock but not up to Day Long standards. I like the Bagger seat just fine and won't be changing it. The secret to long rides is comfort. When you find yourself getting antsy in the saddle change something about your position for a little while - I find it easy and relaxing to stand on the pegs like a dirt rider does, really changes the seating dynamic, blood flows quickly into your butt. This can be somewhat upsetting to others though and obviously not a choice for everyone. One of my riding buddies really used to hang back when I would do this and I asked him why? "Don't wanna run over the body" was his reply. A Wyoming State Trooper gave me a warning for it and said it amounted to reckless op in his state so you might want to stand only for a short time. A minute or so does the trick for me but your mileage may vary! I was able to do a 6 day tour in Morocco on a BMW 700, after literally 15 miles I thought the seat was a brick covered in naugahyde!

have tried several different Corbin and Sargent seats on several different BMW's....end result? yuck.

I have stock BMW seats on all my BMW's. no issues. all day comfort.

i must be BMW's ergo model as nothing else on the bikes is non-stock either. no risers, no bar-backs, no peg lowering, no tall windscreens or anything else. stock ergo's are perfect. all day. and...i only ride "S" models.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

After reading this and similar threads elsewhere, it was with trepidation that I braved a 400-mile day trip on Wednesday from Yuma, AZ, to Laughlin, NV and back on my new-to-me F700GS. I had to get it registered despite the 90-95F high temperature that day.

To my delight the OEM Comfort Seat was perfectly, erm, comfortable. Whew! I was dreading another expense if it was the kind of “torture device” some others described. Just goes to show that we’re all different. The designer(s) at BMW—or their test subjects, if any—must be anatomically fairly similar to me in the posterior.
    Last edited by dellaster; 10-25-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Ted | 2013 F700GS | 2012 KLX250S

I don’t own a BMW bike yet, but do ride another brand/model that, according to the internet, has the absolute most uncomfortable seat known to motorcycles. Based on what I had read, I figured I’d have to swap the seat after buying the bike.

Turns out this seat is quite comfortable for me. I love it, no problems at all. Seat comfort really is subjective and personalized.

I'm batting .500. My '11 R1200r has a seat that about killed me, an airhawk seat cushion has made it bearable, I was going to have a Mayer seat made in Tennessee but before they could wait on me, I needed to go get another beer and the walk must have sobered me up enough to convince me I didn't need to spend the money (what to they say about the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider?). My '18 R1200rt on the other hand has been great, no adjustment or additional cushion needed.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

I've owned 4 BMW's, many other bikes and have never had a custom seat. Ride more and get good underwear
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 107k miles
    2013 TW200
    2018 Yamaha X-MAX

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    I've owned 4 BMW's, many other bikes and have never had a custom seat. Ride more and get good underwear
    Underwear??? Wow. Never thought of wearing any of that stuff. Might really make a difference.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    … i must be BMW's ergo model as nothing else on the bikes is non-stock either. no risers, no bar-backs, no peg lowering, no tall windscreens or anything else. stock ergo's are perfect. all day. and...i only ride "S" models.
    Same for me, although I have tried higher/lower windshields on a couple of bikes over the years, then returned to the stock shield as best for me. I do not believe we are "ergo models" at all. I believe motorcycle touring is mostly a mental effort rather than physical … if you really want to tour on a bike, any bike, you will adjust as necessary to that bike. Just my opinion, so hope nobody gets their panties in a wad.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Got a Seat Concepts seat thinking it was a better option, no real difference from the stock seat but the grippy surface. I'm sure the more expensive models are better but I'm not forking over the cash when I could just get off and walk around.

Some people sit on a wooden barstool for hours and complain about being in a saddle for two?

Quote Originally Posted by anglojaxon View Post
    … Some people sit on a wooden barstool for hours and complain about being in a saddle for two?
    Actually never seen anyone last that long. The barfly either falls off the stool about once an hour, or staggers to the bathroom about once every 20 minutes.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

2019 F850GS...standard BMW seat was good for 80 miles, then the pressure points started to flare. Bought a Sargent, can now do twice that distance before any thought of seat pressure comes up. The stock seat on F/GS isn't designed to support a "complete" butt. THe mere fact Sargent's and others have a wider platform helps spread the weight for less concentrated pressure points. Had a '96 RT, seat was terrible...pushed one into the tank. Had stock seats on '14 through '18 RT's and they were much better. Not every model has an early pain producing design for me.
    F850GSA

MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by anglojaxon View Post
    Some people sit on a wooden barstool for hours and complain about being in a saddle for two?
    Maybe. But for sure many many farmers have sat for hours on solid steel tractor seats and could still walk at the end of the day. Also, many many wranglers have sat on leather saddles that are as firm as the top of my desk and ridden for hours. Shape and support are everything. Cushy usually not so much.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    I have sat on steel tractors seats. Yes, they have the shape down just right! But I disagree about a bit of padding. The difference is that a farmer gets on and off the tractor seat ever so often to oil or grease something, get something out of the way, etc. Just like a Motor Cop, they get some relief by getting on and off.

I get that making your butt conform and tuffen up to a seat works. Bicycle riders do this. But I don't ride every day, or even every week at times. I need a seat I can get on and do 800+ miles with no pain. Discomfort is one thing. Pain can be avoided completely with a good seat.

I know quite a few farmers/ranchers and none of them is riding on a steel seat these days. They are in a comfy seat fit for a luxury RV in an air conditioned and heated cab listening to music while they do their work. Their's is a life of long hours in tough weather but sitting on steel is not among their problems these days.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana