Thread: 57 R60 Wiring has Me Stumped

57 R60 Wiring has Me Stumped

Im installing a 6v LED Taillight (from Benchmark Works). Its a two function light that is as simple as it gets. Low Intensity for Taillight and High Intensity for The Stoplight Function. Bench test is perfect. From the terminal block behind the Battery the wires through the fender to the Taillight test fine with a 6v source connected.

With the bike wiring connected to the terminal block the Taillight function is on high intensity so that the Brake light will not work. (As the light is already on high intensity).
    If you disconnect the tail light function, the brake light does work. With the key in the run only position, the brake light does work.

All of the above is without the engine running and a new 6v Battery.

History is I must have checked for Brake light w/o the lights (taillight) and assumed it worked with the (incandescent) taillight also. Not sure now.
    Also the previous owner did rewire the headlight and mentioned the 4 tangs that hold the ignition plate. The spare key, w/o the plastic housing, is the only one that works now. I absolutely do not want to take the ignition plate out and disturbing the tangs. Especially since l do not know how many times it has been done.
    I did successfully disassemble and reassemble one in the early 70s and the nub on my shoulders has been ground down and the fingers dont do what they are told nowadays.

Im stumped as to why the bike wiring seems to have the taillight on both functions.

Any suggestions will be more than greatly appreciated as What I know about Electricity will
    Shock you.

Thanks
    Charlie

Don't let it scare you

Charlie

I don't think you have to deal with the little tabs and remove the circuit board to inspect and correct the wiring in the head light bucket. Those tabs are scary so hopefully it is just a matter of the tail light power wire is not attached at the correct place. At some point in time your going to have to bite the bullet and open up the head light bucket to at least ensure the circuit plate is properly attached and if it is track down the mistake in the wiring. Get a real good wiring diagram, 6 volt LED test light, multi-meter and some patience, I have found it easier to detach the head light bucket from the brackets and flip it upside down on some padding on top of the front fender.

If the circuit board tabs are broken the best way (not the easiest or cheapest) to fix it is to remove the head light bucket and replace the circuit board mount. I found out at the BMW MOA National Rally that those pieces are available and Bench Mark Works has them. If you do need to replace that piece you will more than likely need spot welding and paint repair.

Thanks 69zeff65,

You are right. I think you boiled it down to the problem. I got there too but it took a while for me. Ive had the headlight open for days while trouble shooting. I have a mirror and multimeter and its hard to tell with the possible rewiring and poor circuitry between the nub on my shoulders and simple reasoning, not to mention the eyes that are older than the bike. Have poked around a little but..........

Definitely should turn the headlight bucket upside down ! Especially since Im not a Dentist. Sure would be nice to find out the possible cross wiring is indeed on the bottom of the switch plate. Or supposed to be on the bottom.

Im missing the best riding month of the year around here. First time in 47 years that Ive missed time in October. Being a little timid as to making things worse, for safety reasons, Ill just temporarily switch wire the taillight at the terminal block at the battery to ride the month till November brings shop time. (Read back burner with all the other bike projects)

More to come.

This bike sure is FUN.(When its rolling)

Charlie

And I'm color blind

I've done several /2 and earlier restorations and understand the reluctance in dealing with the switch plate and wiring oddities. Here are few snap shots of my '55 R50 I took 13 years to decide what color to paint it. Great plan to hot wire the tail light and enjoy the next few weeks of prime riding time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful !!! Actually STUNNING!
    Hope you ride it.
    Were Rims painted in 1955 ? Looks good painted.

Charlie

p.s. You left the peacock open. (chuckle)
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 10-26-2019 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Grammer

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Beautiful !!! Actually STUNNING!
    Hope you ride it.
    Were Rims were painted in 1955 ? Looks good painted.

Charlie

p.s. You left the peacock open. (chuckle)
    Hello Charlie,

The petcocks are in the closed position. The older Everbest petcocks off position is pointing down. The newer Karkoma and Gemma petcocks turn to the side to shut off. Some rims of that period were painted IIIRC.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Thanks

Oops!

Interesting. Thanks.

I learn something every day.
    Sometimes 2 things, unless I talk too much.

Charlie