• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Owner, Old BMW

tpet

Hello All,

Last November my father lost his long battle with cancer. He was a member of this forum, his handle was MonoRT. I happened across his posts recently. I have taken ownership of his 1985 R80RT with 267,000+ miles, and have been riding it to work for about a month now. Carrying on the tradition, as much as I can. My plan is to figure out what he'd already fixed, what might still need work, and everything I can learn about proper maintenance of this bike. I already had a 1991 Honda Hawk GT, so now I've got the ideal two-bike setup: one for touring/commuting/two-up rides, and one for pure backroad fun!

I can already tell this is a great community, and I've read his magazines for a while, too! I look forward to many more years and miles on two wheels. See you all on the forum!

Welcome aboard……...YOU are so totally blessed to have had your father and the gifts that he gave you. Actually, for me, I still find things that he gave me deep in my soul all of these 30 or so years later...……..God bless....Dennis

Welcome to the forum!
It's great you are carrying on the tradition.
I am sending you a Private Message.
Gary

Thanks all! It’s good to be here, it seems like a great place to talk about these awesome bikes. I didn’t really get it at first, but now that I’ve been riding the Beemer for a few weeks it’s really grown on me. I understand how my dad put so many miles on what always looked to me like an oversized, overweight motorcycle. It really does wear its weight well, and is actually quite fun to ride!

Welcome to the forum! I remember your father and his posts...he was the one with Inspector Clouseau for an avatar...I always liked that!

Back