• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear End Drive

72r60/7

I bought a used Rear End recently. (25/8 - 3.13 Vented)

Both visible splines are in good shape. There are signs of previous ring gear seal leakage and was told new seals had been installed at sometime by previous owner. No history as previous owner bought years ago as a detached unit.
I’m very pleased with the purchase.

I can hear what may be normal backlash clicking. Not loud clicking, but clicking.

Should I be able to hear backlash ?

Don’t mind sending the rear end off for inspection and adjustment if necessary. Would like for it to be right.
I ride this bike 2,000 plus miles a year and may ride for a year and fix if needed next year.

Really enjoying riding this ‘57 R60, but the 32/11-2.91 ratio Rear End Drive is ridiculous for my riding. I don’t live 2 blocks from the Autobahn and 30 kilometers away work 2 blocks off of the Autobahn.

Charlie

Charlie -

Same response as at the "other" place!

Any oil in the drive? Seems like without oil, the metal parts are free to hit each other with no cushioning.

Good point Kurt,

I thought about that for a fleeting moment, but dismissed as oil is nice it may not be that nice. I hope it’s just owners over analytical paralysis.

I may have never had a rear end with that much backlash. So may still have internally inspected and corrected if necessary.

Thanks,
Charlie

Last edited:
Back