• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Banff Jasper from Michigan

hobarter

My old riding buddy & I are planning a trip from northern Michigan to Banff/Jasper in May or June 2020 on our 2002-2004 R1150RTs - Any suggestions on routes, cites, bugs, tenting, etc. would be greatly appreciated - Thanks to all -

Michigan to Banff Jasper

My old riding buddy & I are planning a trip from northern Michigan to Banff/Jasper in May or June 2020 on our 2002-2004 R1150RTs - Any suggestions on routes, cites, bugs, tenting, etc. would be greatly appreciated - Thanks to all -

You will probably encounter snow in the higher elevations at this time of year. Freezing temps are also not unusual. Perhaps plan a Late June to July trip instead. My wife and I travel to Medicine Hat from Vancouver Island every year. It's the Canadian Rockies after all. Cheers from Canada

Voni and I have gone from the Great Plains (Iowa or Kansas) to Alaska twice in June and really had no weather issues other than one nasty rainy day up on the Alaska Highway. We have also gone as far as Hyder at least a half dozen times for Memorial Day weekend with no significant weather issues. That said, we travel prepared with gear for subfreezing to triple digit temperatures. It is possible to get snow in almost any month at high enough elevations but I would not let that possibility deter my trip.

AKBeemer to the white courtesy phone, please.

You’ll definitely want to ride the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise. I did 4 winters and a summer in Jasper in my ski bumming days.

Were I riding from Michigan to Jasper and back I would try to include passing thru at least some of the following: Blackhills SD, the Bighorn Mountains WY, Yellowstone NP, Chief Joseph Byway WY, Beartooth Pass WY/MT, and Glacier NP. I'd cross into Canada north of Babb (NE of Glacier NP) and head north thru Twin Bridges, Pincher Creek, Lundbreck and Longview. From there take Hwy 40 north to Hwy 742 to Canmore. That puts you on CDN1 all the way to Lake Louise where you pick-up Hwy 93 and the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. On the return trip backtrack to Lake Louise then pick-up CDN1 to Golden. At Golden you can either take Hwy 95 thru Radium Hotsprings then Hwy 93 to Cranbrook and the Roosvile crossing back into the states; or at Golden stay on CDN1 to Revelstoke. From there go thru Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo, Kootenay Bay, Creston and cross back in at Porthill (you will take two ferry rides on the leg; both are free). This route through Canada will take you through some remarkable terrain and on some fantastic riding roads.

We have not camped too much in this area except in the Nakusp area. I know there are many campgrounds in Jasper NP and I assume you best have a reservation. Motel rooms in Jasper can be quiet expensive but we have gotten relatively good rates there and in Canmore in May and early June. There is a town campground in Nakusp that is very nice and within easy walking distance of restaurants. Other small towns often have camping in or near the town.

Annie and I have ridden the Icefield Parkway 3 or 4 times in May or June on our way to or from Alaska. We've seen cold temperatures and some flurries but never had enough cold or snow to impact on our trip... but, be prepared. The only significant snow we ever had on one of our trips was in early July when we encountered snow at Pink Mountain, BC and 20 miles from our home in MT on Flesher Pass.

You will be a long way from any BMW dealer and in a different country. A good towing plan (unlimited mileage) and medical insurance that are both good in Canada are a very good idea.

Were I riding from Michigan to Jasper and back I would try to include passing thru at least some of the following: Blackhills SD, the Bighorn Mountains WY, Yellowstone NP, Chief Joseph Byway WY, Beartooth Pass WY/MT, and Glacier NP. I'd cross into Canada north of Babb (NE of Glacier NP) and head north thru Twin Bridges, Pincher Creek, Lundbreck and Longview. From there take Hwy 40 north to Hwy 742 to Canmore. That puts you on CDN1 all the way to Lake Louise where you pick-up Hwy 93 and the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. On the return trip backtrack to Lake Louise then pick-up CDN1 to Golden. At Golden you can either take Hwy 95 thru Radium Hotsprings then Hwy 93 to Cranbrook and the Roosvile crossing back into the states; or at Golden stay on CDN1 to Revelstoke. From there go thru Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo, Kootenay Bay, Creston and cross back in at Porthill (you will take two ferry rides on the leg; both are free). This route through Canada will take you through some remarkable terrain and on some fantastic riding roads.

We have not camped too much in this area except in the Nakusp area. I know there are many campgrounds in Jasper NP and I assume you best have a reservation. Motel rooms in Jasper can be quiet expensive but we have gotten relatively good rates there and in Canmore in May and early June. There is a town campground in Nakusp that is very nice and within easy walking distance of restaurants. Other small towns often have camping in or near the town.

Annie and I have ridden the Icefield Parkway 3 or 4 times in May or June on our way to or from Alaska. We've seen cold temperatures and some flurries but never had enough cold or snow to impact on our trip... but, be prepared. The only significant snow we ever had on one of our trips was in early July when we encountered snow at Pink Mountain, BC and 20 miles from our home in MT on Flesher Pass.

You will be a long way from any BMW dealer and in a different country. A good towing plan (unlimited mileage) and medical insurance that are both good in Canada are a very good idea.

And take your Anonymous book with you; We are here to help, if need be.

I've camped in a very nice campground near Lake Louise, although when we camped there last part of the campground was closed because of bears. Not sure how the bears knew to stay in their area. :)

There are also some very nice hot springs just outside of Banff, which are nice after a long ride.

Early in the year the bugs shouldn't be bad but be prepared regardless. Camping is great up there, just remember not to bring any food in your tent and use the gearboxes even for your toothpaste and deodorant. Don't sleep in the clothes you cook with either. I have never been bothered by bears camping anywhere, even though they were 30ft away from my tent.
Medjet or similar is a good to have and hopefully you'll never need it. The hot springs are amazing and the scenery will blow your mind... Enjoy!

Michigan Banff Jasper

Voni and I have gone from the Great Plains (Iowa or Kansas) to Alaska twice in June and really had no weather issues other than one nasty rainy day up on the Alaska Highway. We have also gone as far as Hyder at least a half dozen times for Memorial Day weekend with no significant weather issues. That said, we travel prepared with gear for subfreezing to triple digit temperatures. It is possible to get snow in almost any month at high enough elevations but I would not let that possibility deter my trip.

AKBeemer to the white courtesy phone, please.

Yes but did you go over the Canadian Rockies?

I'm guessing we should cut & paste Kevin's (akbeemer) post #5 from above into the Great Falls MOA Rally thread.

Seriously good advice for a pre/post Rally ride.

"travel'n" John
... take'n notes

I just remembered I bought my first motorcycle when I lived in Jasper, a Yamaha Vision 550 at the ripe Old age of 25.

Something to keep in mind for the next few years is a major reconstruction project that is starting in 2020 for the Trans Canada highway #1 at Golden. There will be complete closures for up to 15 weeks per year - though not likely during the busier summer motorcycling season. Still, I'd plan to avoid that section if at all possible.

The Icefields parkway is a must do on a bike and the section of that highway, #93, from Castle Junction to Radium is also worth doing and will get you around the construction zone at Golden. Further east nearer to Calgary, consider taking Highway #40 over Highwood pass through the Kananaskis and Peter Lougheed Parks.

Ed makes a great recommendation. It is about 60 miles (100 Km) from Castle Junction to Radium Hot Springs and it is thru Kootenay National Park. Well worth a 120 mile side trip to have lunch in Radium Hot Springs and/or soak away your aches and pains.

If it works in your schedule and you can afford it, book a night at the Fairmont Chateau in Lake Louise.
Unbelievable place to spend the night and regroup.
I spent a ski season working at Lake Louise ski area winter of 80-81- great area!!

Back