Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Banff Jasper from Michigan

  1. #1

    Banff Jasper from Michigan

    My old riding buddy & I are planning a trip from northern Michigan to Banff/Jasper in May or June 2020 on our 2002-2004 R1150RTs - Any suggestions on routes, cites, bugs, tenting, etc. would be greatly appreciated - Thanks to all -

  2. #2

    Michigan to Banff Jasper

    Quote Originally Posted by hobarter View Post
    My old riding buddy & I are planning a trip from northern Michigan to Banff/Jasper in May or June 2020 on our 2002-2004 R1150RTs - Any suggestions on routes, cites, bugs, tenting, etc. would be greatly appreciated - Thanks to all -
    You will probably encounter snow in the higher elevations at this time of year. Freezing temps are also not unusual. Perhaps plan a Late June to July trip instead. My wife and I travel to Medicine Hat from Vancouver Island every year. It's the Canadian Rockies after all. Cheers from Canada

  3. #3
    Voni and I have gone from the Great Plains (Iowa or Kansas) to Alaska twice in June and really had no weather issues other than one nasty rainy day up on the Alaska Highway. We have also gone as far as Hyder at least a half dozen times for Memorial Day weekend with no significant weather issues. That said, we travel prepared with gear for subfreezing to triple digit temperatures. It is possible to get snow in almost any month at high enough elevations but I would not let that possibility deter my trip.

    AKBeemer to the white courtesy phone, please.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    874
    You’ll definitely want to ride the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise. I did 4 winters and a summer in Jasper in my ski bumming days.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  5. #5
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,453
    Were I riding from Michigan to Jasper and back I would try to include passing thru at least some of the following: Blackhills SD, the Bighorn Mountains WY, Yellowstone NP, Chief Joseph Byway WY, Beartooth Pass WY/MT, and Glacier NP. I'd cross into Canada north of Babb (NE of Glacier NP) and head north thru Twin Bridges, Pincher Creek, Lundbreck and Longview. From there take Hwy 40 north to Hwy 742 to Canmore. That puts you on CDN1 all the way to Lake Louise where you pick-up Hwy 93 and the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. On the return trip backtrack to Lake Louise then pick-up CDN1 to Golden. At Golden you can either take Hwy 95 thru Radium Hotsprings then Hwy 93 to Cranbrook and the Roosvile crossing back into the states; or at Golden stay on CDN1 to Revelstoke. From there go thru Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo, Kootenay Bay, Creston and cross back in at Porthill (you will take two ferry rides on the leg; both are free). This route through Canada will take you through some remarkable terrain and on some fantastic riding roads.

    We have not camped too much in this area except in the Nakusp area. I know there are many campgrounds in Jasper NP and I assume you best have a reservation. Motel rooms in Jasper can be quiet expensive but we have gotten relatively good rates there and in Canmore in May and early June. There is a town campground in Nakusp that is very nice and within easy walking distance of restaurants. Other small towns often have camping in or near the town.

    Annie and I have ridden the Icefield Parkway 3 or 4 times in May or June on our way to or from Alaska. We've seen cold temperatures and some flurries but never had enough cold or snow to impact on our trip... but, be prepared. The only significant snow we ever had on one of our trips was in early July when we encountered snow at Pink Mountain, BC and 20 miles from our home in MT on Flesher Pass.

    You will be a long way from any BMW dealer and in a different country. A good towing plan (unlimited mileage) and medical insurance that are both good in Canada are a very good idea.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  6. #6
    Prefers to play martinph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Were I riding from Michigan to Jasper and back I would try to include passing thru at least some of the following: Blackhills SD, the Bighorn Mountains WY, Yellowstone NP, Chief Joseph Byway WY, Beartooth Pass WY/MT, and Glacier NP. I'd cross into Canada north of Babb (NE of Glacier NP) and head north thru Twin Bridges, Pincher Creek, Lundbreck and Longview. From there take Hwy 40 north to Hwy 742 to Canmore. That puts you on CDN1 all the way to Lake Louise where you pick-up Hwy 93 and the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. On the return trip backtrack to Lake Louise then pick-up CDN1 to Golden. At Golden you can either take Hwy 95 thru Radium Hotsprings then Hwy 93 to Cranbrook and the Roosvile crossing back into the states; or at Golden stay on CDN1 to Revelstoke. From there go thru Nakusp, New Denver, Kaslo, Kootenay Bay, Creston and cross back in at Porthill (you will take two ferry rides on the leg; both are free). This route through Canada will take you through some remarkable terrain and on some fantastic riding roads.

    We have not camped too much in this area except in the Nakusp area. I know there are many campgrounds in Jasper NP and I assume you best have a reservation. Motel rooms in Jasper can be quiet expensive but we have gotten relatively good rates there and in Canmore in May and early June. There is a town campground in Nakusp that is very nice and within easy walking distance of restaurants. Other small towns often have camping in or near the town.

    Annie and I have ridden the Icefield Parkway 3 or 4 times in May or June on our way to or from Alaska. We've seen cold temperatures and some flurries but never had enough cold or snow to impact on our trip... but, be prepared. The only significant snow we ever had on one of our trips was in early July when we encountered snow at Pink Mountain, BC and 20 miles from our home in MT on Flesher Pass.

    You will be a long way from any BMW dealer and in a different country. A good towing plan (unlimited mileage) and medical insurance that are both good in Canada are a very good idea.


    And take your Anonymous book with you; We are here to help, if need be.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

  7. #7
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    422
    I've camped in a very nice campground near Lake Louise, although when we camped there last part of the campground was closed because of bears. Not sure how the bears knew to stay in their area.

    There are also some very nice hot springs just outside of Banff, which are nice after a long ride.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  8. #8
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    874
    There are a bunch of hot springs in the area.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  9. #9
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    1,027
    Early in the year the bugs shouldn't be bad but be prepared regardless. Camping is great up there, just remember not to bring any food in your tent and use the gearboxes even for your toothpaste and deodorant. Don't sleep in the clothes you cook with either. I have never been bothered by bears camping anywhere, even though they were 30ft away from my tent.
    Medjet or similar is a good to have and hopefully you'll never need it. The hot springs are amazing and the scenery will blow your mind... Enjoy!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

  10. #10

    Michigan Banff Jasper

    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Voni and I have gone from the Great Plains (Iowa or Kansas) to Alaska twice in June and really had no weather issues other than one nasty rainy day up on the Alaska Highway. We have also gone as far as Hyder at least a half dozen times for Memorial Day weekend with no significant weather issues. That said, we travel prepared with gear for subfreezing to triple digit temperatures. It is possible to get snow in almost any month at high enough elevations but I would not let that possibility deter my trip.

    AKBeemer to the white courtesy phone, please.
    Yes but did you go over the Canadian Rockies?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebombs View Post
    Yes but did you go over the Canadian Rockies?
    Yes, several times headed to Hyder.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  12. #12
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,453
    Where is Hobarter?
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  13. #13
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    694

    Lightbulb

    I'm guessing we should cut & paste Kevin's (akbeemer) post #5 from above into the Great Falls MOA Rally thread.

    Seriously good advice for a pre/post Rally ride.

    "travel'n" John
    ... take'n notes

  14. #14
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    874
    I just remembered I bought my first motorcycle when I lived in Jasper, a Yamaha Vision 550 at the ripe Old age of 25.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  15. #15
    Back in the Saddle mcmxcivrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,090
    Something to keep in mind for the next few years is a major reconstruction project that is starting in 2020 for the Trans Canada highway #1 at Golden. There will be complete closures for up to 15 weeks per year - though not likely during the busier summer motorcycling season. Still, I'd plan to avoid that section if at all possible.

    The Icefields parkway is a must do on a bike and the section of that highway, #93, from Castle Junction to Radium is also worth doing and will get you around the construction zone at Golden. Further east nearer to Calgary, consider taking Highway #40 over Highwood pass through the Kananaskis and Peter Lougheed Parks.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-28-2019, 02:50 AM
  2. Riding in the Jasper area.
    By dkeast140506 in forum Regional Mountain/Prairie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
  3. Dallas to Jasper and British Columbia Part 2
    By RTRandy in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 04:52 PM
  4. Dallas to Jasper and British Columbia Part 3
    By RTRandy in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 04:14 AM
  5. Dallas to Jasper and British Columbia Part 1
    By RTRandy in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •