• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Banff Jasper from Michigan

+1 on Kevin's route.

Be aware that Alberta Highway 40 (Kananaskis Trail) is closed until June 15. But the alternate route from Longview north through Bragg Creek, on 762, is a nice ride.

+1 on Kevin's route.

Be aware that Alberta Highway 40 (Kananaskis Trail) is closed until June 15. But the alternate route from Longview north through Bragg Creek, on 762, is a nice ride.

We got six inches of hail one fine July day riding 40 north from the Lunatic Fringe Rally. It melted after a while in the wheel tracks, but they did get the plows out in Calgary we were told.

It's our bracing Alberta weather. And the Foothills, where you were riding, gets a lot of convective activity in the summertime. We had an impressive cold front move through yesterday, and horizontal snow this morning.

+1 on Kevin's route.

Remind me to contact you before we head up that way next summer. Is there a site that provides info on road closures in AB?

The highway 40 closure from December until June is an annual thing for wildlife protection.

I ignored that one early June riding a mountain bike straight through to Coleman on #40. Saw no people and a LOT of hungry bears! :wave

Highway 40.jpg

Last edited:
I ignored that one early June riding a mountain bike straight through to Coleman on #40. Saw no people and a LOT of hungry bears!

The University used to run the Kananaskis "Pre-Cars" ride on Highway 40 every spring, until the government stopped it. I rode it a couple of times.

This is on the south side of Highwood Pass on on a private trip, just below the snowline:

november%2008%20063-XL.jpg

The University used to run the Kananaskis "Pre-Cars" ride on Highway 40 every spring, until the government stopped it. I rode it a couple of times.

This is on the south side of Highwood Pass on on a private trip, just below the snowline:

november%2008%20063-XL.jpg

As we got to the pass and then beyond to the gravel section to Coleman.

DSC00957-1.JPG

DSC00963-1.JPG

DSC00968-1.JPG

DSC00977-1.JPG

Back