• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Front dash speaker removal

adecood

So I am new to this site. And I thought that I would put out a question to the BMW community.

I have a 2019 R1250 RT. and I don't use the dash speakers on my bike. I prefer to use the speakers in my helmet. So I know we are all looking for additional storage space for odds and end things that were want to carry. But don't use very often. So I have been contemplating removing the 2 speakers from the dash. And using that space to store things that I don't use very often. Like tire pump, tire repair kit, things that take up space in the side cases.

When you remove the speaker assembly and look inside the empty cavity there is a fare amount of room. And the back side of the cavity has areas open to the environment. So if you use this area to store anythings it will have to be water resistant. So I was wondering does anyone know of a company who makes a plastic shell inserts that mimics the shape of the speaker box and would replace the speaker assembly under the grill.

I have been contemplating making something that would fit into this cavity. And try to mimic the shape of the back side of the speaker box. And I would still use the speaker grill for the cover of the insert. I don't have access to a 3 d printer. So my next thought was to look into some kind of modeling clay, to build a mold around the out side shape of the speaker box. Giving me an open box that is the same shape as the original speaker box and insert into the cavity. But before I do any of that I thought I would see if anyone already make such a item 1st.

So if you know anyone who does make such a thing please be so kind as to let me know.
Thank you for your assistance
Dave D.

Just a thought - Go on over to your local Target, K-Mart, whatever variety store, and look at the selection of plastic cups in the kitchen department... bet there's something "modifyable", especially in the heavy-walled versions like travel cups or a thermos.

I've not looked closely at the wethead speaker covers but I imagine water can also get through the grills.

You might consider a small waterproof bag that can be stuffed into that space, something like this:
s-l64.jpg

My tool kit is a small canvas pouch plus a loose 3/8 drive ratchet that is too big for the pouch. Both go inside a similar waterproof bag that sits on my rear fender under the seat. The bag keeps everything dry and prevents anything falling through gaps to the ground. It's worked well for several years and about 12000 miles with no sign of wear. The empty bag also served as a pillow while camping one night in Colorado - it let me get comfortably to sleep and still held some air in the morning.

Speaker

So I am new to this site. And I thought that I would put out a question to the BMW community.

I have a 2019 R1250 RT. and I don't use the dash speakers on my bike. I prefer to use the speakers in my helmet. So I know we are all looking for additional storage space for odds and end things that were want to carry. But don't use very often. So I have been contemplating removing the 2 speakers from the dash. And using that space to store things that I don't use very often. Like tire pump, tire repair kit, things that take up space in the side cases.

When you remove the speaker assembly and look inside the empty cavity there is a fare amount of room. And the back side of the cavity has areas open to the environment. So if you use this area to store anythings it will have to be water resistant. So I was wondering does anyone know of a company who makes a plastic shell inserts that mimics the shape of the speaker box and would replace the speaker assembly under the gri
Freezer bags conform to the space water proof get more stuff in.
I have been contemplating making something that would fit into this cavity. And try to mimic the shape of the back side of the speaker box. And I would still use the speaker grill for the cover of the insert. I don't have access to a 3 d printer. So my next thought was to look into some kind of modeling clay, to build a mold around the out side shape of the speaker box. Giving me an open box that is the same shape as the original speaker box and insert into the cavity. But before I do any of that I thought I would see if anyone already make such a item 1st.

So if you know anyone who does make such a thing please be so kind as to let me know

Thank you for your assistance
Dave D.
Freezer ziplock bags conform waterproof. Cheep

Back