Thread: Gerbing heated vest

Gerbing heated vest

I have bought a second hand Olympia jacket with water proof liner and a Gerbing heated vest. I have not worn the jacket with the liner nor the heated vest. Does anyone know if the heated vest needs to be shielded with the water proof liner in the event of rain?

It might depend on the exact model and age of the vest, but the current models are hand washable, and use "patented micro-sized stainless steel fibers intertwined and encased in a proprietary waterproof coating." Getting the vest wet should not be a problem.

Stiil, warm and dry is more comfortable than warm and wet, so I'd use both the Olympia liner and the vest in the rain. Actually, I use a separate rain suit over my Olympia gear, because it drys more easily than a heavy, rain-soaked jacket.

You might contact the company through their website for their recommendations about your particular vest.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

If you want the warmth of the heated vest, put it next to you.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Yes, vest needs to be an inner layer. Near to you and inside the insulation layers to retain the heat it generates.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Yes, vest needs to be an inner layer. Near to you and inside the insulation layers to retain the heat it generates.
    From skin out: T-shirt, heated vest/liner, then a snug sweater or something to keep the heated item close to the body.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain