• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'87 K75C Battery Change

dodge1chevy2

Just attempted to replace the battery in my’87 K75C. When placing the second cable near the battery terminal, I got a unpleasant spark and the starter motor started to run. I imagine I have an electrical problem?

rickt

Rickt,

In the future, please include the year (and model) of the bike in question IN THE TITLE of your thread. I will add it for you now, but in the future, please include it.

What you have is a starter relay that has fused (welded) its internal contacts together due to trying to start the bike with a low battery.

You will need to remove the fuel tank to access the inside of relay box which is the boxthat has the fuses on the left side of the bike under the battery cover. The starter relay is the one at the right rear. It has two large wires and two small wires on it. You need to remove it. Mark which wire go where.

If you are VERY lucky, you MIGHT be able to dislodge the contacts by lightly rapping on the side of the relay. Check for continuity between the two large terminals with a multimeter. If it is unstuck, you will get no continuity.

New relays can be bought (much cheaper than the dealer) at Euromotoelectrcs.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/rel-k008oe.htm

:dance:dance:dance

Cranking a K75 with a feeble battery will almost always stick the starter relay contacts. Back in their heyday this happened to enough people every spring after a winter layaway that I got a lot of panic calls about the issue. So many that even non-mechanical Voni could answer the question as soon as they said, " I tried to start my K75 and it just keeps cranking." She could instantly say "disconnect the ground cable at the side of the transmission or either battery cable as quickly as you can. The starter relay is stuck."

Cranking a K75 with a feeble battery will almost always stick the starter relay contacts. Back in their heyday this happened to enough people every spring after a winter layaway that I got a lot of panic calls about the issue. So many that even non-mechanical Voni could answer the question as soon as they said, " I tried to start my K75 and it just keeps cranking." She could instantly say "disconnect the ground cable at the side of the transmission or either battery cable as quickly as you can. The starter relay is stuck."

I hate "iffy" batteries so i usually don't have a low voltage, low CCA issue, but this makes me think i need to stash the correct hex key in the top box for quick access to remove the negative cable connection at the transmission.

Last edited:
A faint thought in the back of my damaged memory indicates that I did deal with this exact problem many years ago.

rickt

No worries. None of us is getting any younger. I forget plenty these days...

I see from your handle that you own/owned both an R65LS and a K75. These are the two bikes currently at the top of my short list. If you have a chance, any general feedback or impressions you can offer comparing the two would be most welcome, particularly with respect to size, seat height, handling, etc. Thanks.

Back