• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'03 K1200RS Fuel Filter Replacement

VIEJO

Due to a "frank and open exchange of views" with a small deer a few weeks ago I have all the bodywork removed from my K1200RS and am taking the opportunity to catch up on some deferred inspections/maintenance. What I am wondering is if there is any reason not to invert the fuel cell once it has been removed from the bike and drained. This would facilitate removing the fuel pump/fuel filter assembly considerably. I know there is a fuel pump roll-over kill switch on the RT's and GS's that needs attention, but to the best of my knowledge there is nothing similar on the RS.

Any and all guidance/suggestions/incantations will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I know of no such switch on the RS.
So by all means flip it for ease of access...….then let us know if runs again.:)

What are you doing with the bodywork? Paint? Replace?

I know of no such switch on the RS.
So by all means flip it for ease of access...….then let us know if runs again.:)

What are you doing with the bodywork? Paint? Replace?

It flipped..... and it runs again! (although the original fuel level sensor assembly gasket had a slight weep after re-assembly; easily remedied). Also replaced the fuel pickup strainer as the old/original one looked like the mantle on a well used Coleman Lantern..... crumbled to the touch; not all that surprising after sixteen years.

Turned out that new fairing parts in primer from Max BMW were actually more cost (and time) effective than tracking down, shipping, prepping/painting used parts. I usually just order directly online from Max but in this case decided to phone them to check on availability and delivery time and found out that the price listed on the site was actually for painted parts and that the primed parts were only half the price shown. Considering that the shattering fairing absorbed most of the impact of the deer hit and kept me from going down, the parts, even though definitely not cheap, were worth every penny.

Currently in the paint shop..... should be up again within the next two weeks. Just in time for opening day of deer season. :rolleyes

Back