Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible 85 K100 purchase

Possible 85 K100 purchase

Hey all, I wandered over here from the Oilheads section because I'm going to look at this K: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/m...998956248.html

I'd love a short list of things to look for since it will be the first one I've seen up close. I think I read somewhere to look at the exhaust for cracks but who knows what else. The only thing I can tell from the pics is there's some of those paper wing-type clips on the front of the radiator, holding on a grill maybe?

Price seems high but it is an original owner bike. I have to drive over four hours to look at it so any info is appreciated.

Richard
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80

Based on all the recent work done the only other thing I'd look for are the saddlebags and keys other an general condition. The price, based on the recent work justifies the asking price. But of course I, being the thrifty person that I am, would offer less, particularly if the bags are missing.
    Boxerbruce

Oh. And check out that side stand.
    Boxerbruce

If it is as represented in the ad, then that's a bargain at any price below $3000.00 IMO. For whatever reason, k bikes are undervalued and underappreciated. If that was an r100 in similar condition, the asking price would be twice that and would probably get it. Good luck.

Sometimes the seller just wants the garage space back. Check various K100s for sale on the interweb, see what's going on in the market. Be polite. Check VIN number exact date of manufacture. Some parts for an early K100 are no longer available. Like the big plastic electrical fuel stick assembly bottom of tank. The seat is unique as is its mounting points and tail cowling. No biggie. Front fender doesn't have the integral lower fork brace. Depending on vin number may have the greater overlap cams. FWIW. We don't have autobahns. Throttle bodies have a shorter cable throw than later Ks. Always check the bottom tank seams for corrosion. If you can see in there. And then the leaks, if there are any. No ABS which some like, simple. Others hate because they like ABS. 16 splines instead of 20 on FD input, IiRC. Which some like. Hard to say much from a picture. Used bike usually a shot in the dark. Some sellers, especially BMW, think they got a collector item. Ya know, a legend, it's a BMW! Yay! Early center stands and rear foot rest plates were swapped out by BMW, along with speedometers. More to read about. Ya know, a conundrum. Just off the top of me head, any corrections welcome.

Mostly BMW maintains a very good parts supply. With any used bike it's hard to know exactly what a bike is, until you get into it yourself. However, I like my old early K100RS with only 86k miles.

Okay, thanks for the replies. Owner is out of town for a week so I have time to do more research. In the FWIW dept., the RT I have was owned by the same guy since 2005 before I bought it over the summer. He changed oil and tires but not much else so I spent some time cleaning stuff up. Mat be a similar story with this one. I really like the looks of this one but that's how I get bit, falling for a pretty face and not caring about what's underneath.
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80

Quick q: this is listed as a straight K100, not an RS, RT or something else. Would it have saddlebags or any other factory farkels (German for farkles )?
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80

Nick Kennedy
    I've got add that thing is 34 years old now.
    Getting up there.
    I've got a garaged 1990 K75RT that has for the most part trouble free and I do take it out on trips, but that is getting up in years too.
    Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by romulanremus View Post
    Quick q: this is listed as a straight K100, not an RS, RT or something else. Would it have saddlebags or any other factory farkels (German for farkles )?
    It appears to have the z brackets for side cases. Maybe he has cases, too? If not, having the brackets will at least save you some money.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    It appears to have the z brackets for side cases. Maybe he has cases, too? If not, having the brackets will at least save you some money.
    Frio, gracias.
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80

Update: Owner of this machine is still out of town for a few more days so I haven't been to look at it yet, but we talked for awhile yesterday. He's pretty knowledgeable about the bike and hasn't skimped on keeping it in good shape. He says he has receipts for all the work he's done, which is a good thing. He bought it as an RT but took the fairing off and turned it into man cave art, and sold the bags. He indicates he has some wiggle room on the price, too.

In the meantime, this one also showed up on CL:
    https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/m...999974261.html

Common slight knock? This one may be a kettle of worms.
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80

Update: Owner of this machine is still out of town for a few more days so I haven't been to look at it yet, but we talked for awhile yesterday. He's pretty knowledgeable about the bike and hasn't skimped on keeping it in good shape. He says he has receipts for all the work he's done, which is a good thing. He bought it as an RT but took the fairing off and turned it into man cave art, and sold the bags. He indicates he has some wiggle room on the price, too.

In the meantime, this one also showed up on CL:
    https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/m...999974261.html

On the '85, i would want to wiggle the price down enough for a good set of bags and mounts. Kind of strange to turn the fairing into art and sell the bags. I wouldn't have done that. I would have kept it all safe to return it back to original if desired, and the bags, well they're just plain useful as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    On the '85, i would want to wiggle the price down enough for a good set of bags and mounts. Kind of strange to turn the fairing into art and sell the bags. I wouldn't have done that. I would have kept it all safe to return it back to original if desired, and the bags, well they're just plain useful as heck.
    Well, he's had it since late 1984 from new, so I suspect that's got a lot to do with it. Who thinks they're going to keep a vehicle long enough for it to gain antique status? It's like the 69 Fastback Mustang I bought for $600 back in the 70s, bone stock with a 250-6 and a 3-speed manual transmission. I proceeded to try to turn it into a Boss-lookalike, V-8, 4-speed top-loader, fold-down rear seat, shaker hood etc etc. I'd love to have that one back just as I bought it, OEM hubcaps and all! Time's perspective, right?
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80

3 Red Bricks

The only "common" thing that might be interpreted as a "knock" is the take up of the gear backlash in the transmission and final drive when first starting to let out the clutch or when rocking the rear tire when either on the bike or when on the centerstand. There should be no knocking with the bike in motion.

Bad driveshaft splines (or universal) could make a knocking sound while in motion, but not for long, as the next phase would be total failure.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    The only "common" thing that might be interpreted as a "knock" is the take up of the gear backlash in the transmission and final drive when first starting to let out the clutch or when rocking the rear tire when either on the bike or when on the centerstand. There should be no knocking with the bike in motion.

Bad driveshaft splines (or universal) could make a knocking sound while in motion, but not for long, as the next phase would be total failure.

That's what I thought, and probably why the ad says "as is". Pass.
    1997 BMW R1100RT
    1976 Honda GL1000 x2
    1981 Honda CB750C
    1974 Yamaha GT80