• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT leaking final drive shaft

catbird

Just noticed after yesterdays ride that I have a final drive leak around the black plastic cover. Bike has 50,000 miles. Has anyone replaced the $35 seal that is the culprit? On previous models there was a lock ring that could be pried off before removing the seal using the wood screw method. A 20 minute job. The parts diagram does not show a lock ring. The mechanics at the BMW shop had differing opinions on how to remove seal. One said just pry what appears to be a lock ring off with a screw driver then remove the seal by driving screws into it and pulling it out.

There is no slop or unusual noises in the final drive and the oil is as clean as a whistle. I always add exactly 180cc of fluid during changes.

A new seal is on order and if it's simple Ill do it myself.

Thanks.

Just noticed after yesterdays ride that I have a final drive leak around the black plastic cover. Bike has 50,000 miles. Has anyone replaced the $35 seal that is the culprit? On previous models there was a lock ring that could be pried off before removing the seal using the wood screw method. A 20 minute job. The parts diagram does not show a lock ring. The mechanics at the BMW shop had differing opinions on how to remove seal. One said just pry what appears to be a lock ring off with a screw driver then remove the seal by driving screws into it and pulling it out.

There is no slop or unusual noises in the final drive and the oil is as clean as a whistle. I always add exactly 180cc of fluid during changes.

A new seal is on order and if it's simple Ill do it myself.

Thanks.

The BMW repair manual says use suitable tool so I think the advice you got above is good. It's only a cover.

My riding buddy just replaced the rear drive seal on his 2015 RT, and we were both surprised that there is no retaining ring. He just used the screw trick and popped out the old, leaking seal and set in place the new one....no more leak. I will do mine if it leaks.
I hope he chimes in on this to confirm.

My riding buddy just replaced the rear drive seal on his 2015 RT, and we were both surprised that there is no retaining ring. He just used the screw trick and popped out the old, leaking seal and set in place the new one....no more leak. I will do mine if it leaks.
I hope he chimes in on this to confirm.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try when my new seal arrives.

Try this trick

I used to clean out dirt bike front fork seals with a very thin feeler gauge by running it around the place where the seal contacts the tube to remove any grit that could be causing a leak. If you look on youtube for "How to Clean Motorcycle Fork Seals" it describes this better. Might work for the bearing seal and would cost nothing and very little time to try.

I just replaced the outer final drive seal in my ‘15 a few weeks ago at 79000 miles. There is no retaining ring. The seal is a press fit with a plastic cover on the outside. Carefully drilled a small hole in the old seal, threaded in a sheet metal screw and popped the old seal out. Used the old seal as a driver to seat the new one. Literally a 15 minute job. Just be sure not to drill past the seal into the bearing.

I'm the original poster. I replaced the seal using the method described by dsmith1200. Just did a 1600 mile trip to the Keys and no leaks. Getting the drill bit to hit the metal ring was the only challenge. Once the screw bit into the ring I was able to pop the old seal out. Pretty easy.

Back