Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Change in recommended oil weight (Yay an oil thread!)

Your BMW dealer carries two versions of Advantec motor oil

15W-50 semisynthetic intended for use in air cooled boxers such as Oilheads, Hexheads, and Camheads.

5W-40 full synthetic intended for use in Wetheads and any other model with a wet clutch.

It’s apples/oranges comparing wet clutch bikes to auto style clutch bikes as regards motor oil. In addition, aircooled motors are different than water cooled motors. (All BMW with wet clutch are water cooled.)

Nothing wrong with using a full synthetic in the older aircooled bikes, but it’s still probably best that it’s 50 weight, as surely aircooled motors feature larger clearances. The W number (first number) of any oil is essentially irrelevant unless you intend to start your motor in arctic conditions. Even then, when I once read some Mobil 1 specifications, 0W,5W, and 10W all featured the same cold pour point. That is minus 55 F, btw, so again ... irrelevant.

It’s fairly critical to use the 5W-40 full synthetic for best wet clutch operation.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

15W-50 semisynthetic intended for use in air cooled boxers such as Oilheads, Hexheads, and Camheads.

5W-40 full synthetic intended for use in Wetheads and any other model with a wet clutch.
    Except that my water cooled wet clutch G310GS is specified to use the 15W50 Advantec oil, totally disrupting the neat classification from above.

RTFM!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Itís apples/oranges comparing wet clutch bikes to auto style clutch bikes as regards motor oil. In addition, aircooled motors are different than water cooled motors. (All BMW with wet clutch are water cooled.)

Nothing wrong with using a full synthetic in the older aircooled bikes, but itís still probably best that itís 50 weight, as surely aircooled motors feature larger clearances. The W number (first number) of any oil is essentially irrelevant unless you intend to start your motor in arctic conditions. Even then, when I once read some Mobil 1 specifications, 0W,5W, and 10W all featured the same cold pour point. That is minus 55 F, btw, so again ... irrelevant.

Itís fairly critical to use the 5W-40 full synthetic for best wet clutch operation.
    The owner's manual for my '11 R1200r (camhead) an air/oil cooled engine, indicates that 5w-40 weight is acceptable as is 15w-50 weight. I don't know what the clearances are in the motor but presume that BMW's engineers do and can specify oil that meets the engine's particular requirements. As a side note according to Amsoil, heavier weight oils conduct less heat than lighter weight oils do. As for "best" wet clutch operation, careful attention to the oils additives package is recommended as some friction modifiers in engine oils can contaminate wet clutch friction disks.

Use what BMW or any engine manufacturer recommend. They've done the calculations, real world tests, and work with oil manufacturers on acceptable additives and the like to get the best blend of performance, fuel economy, and longevity from their products.

Paul, ahmen, RTFM
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    The owner's manual for my '11 R1200r (camhead) an air/oil cooled engine, indicates that 5w-40 weight is acceptable as is 15w-50 weight.

They changed that in the 2013 Camhead. My owners manual (the image with the Castrol recommendation) and the OEM DVD (the image with the BMW part number) both say 15W-50 and they specifically state no molybdenum content.

Use what BMW or any engine manufacturer recommend. They've done the calculations, real world tests, and work with oil manufacturers on acceptable additives and the like to get the best blend of performance, fuel economy, and longevity from their products.

Paul, ahmen, RTFM
    I wholeheartedly agree, hence I stick with 15W-50 and make sure the one I use has no moly. Of course, oil being, well, oil, people will and do use what they want. You don't read about these engines self-destructing ever so I infer it's actually close enough to OK to not worry about it.Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topi...omment=1032495

Oil analysis of fresh BMW-recommended Advantec oil shows it contains 142ppm of moly.

Liqui-Moly shows 1 ppm.

( I know, moly in the oil is not the same thing as a moly additive. But still...)

Add these results to BMW's many changes in oil recommendations without corresponding engine changes, and I conclude that we spend wayyyy too much time on oil threads.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post

...BMW's many changes in oil recommendations without corresponding engine changes, and I conclude that we spend wayyyy too much time on oil threads.
    Aptly stated!

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    nope...FTR, my 13RT does NOT require JASO MA-2 type oils...it requires of a viscosities API SF/ACEA A2 or better...
    The owner's manual for my '11 R1200r (camhead) an air/oil cooled engine, indicates that 5w-40 weight is acceptable as is 15w-50 weight. I don't know what the clearances are in the motor but presume that BMW's engineers do and can specify oil that meets the engine's particular requirements. As a side note according to Amsoil, heavier weight oils conduct less heat than lighter weight oils do. As for "best" wet clutch operation, careful attention to the oils additives package is recommended as some friction modifiers in engine oils can contaminate wet clutch friction disks.

Paul, ahmen, RTFM
    If you guys download the latest version of your owners manual, it no longer has the table saying a 40 weight oil is acceptable. It only recommends 15W50 JASO MA2. Hence this thread.

As my bike gets older, I just consider going to the 50 weight as maybe BMW has a reason to change their recommendation.
    Current rides: 2013 R1200RT 90th - 98k miles & 1996 R850R - 28k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2016 R1200RT, 2012 R1200GS Rallye, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

To take a less than scientific approach.......

Given the fact that you have 98K on your bike with your present oil choice, IMHO If it works, don't fix it.

Best,

3hawks

Let's add to this thread: Motul ester 7100 10w60 full synth here.

Dropped my oil consumption from 1.5l+ to 0.5l / 10000km

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post

YMMV
    Well yeah. That oil is so thick it can't leak because the oil pump can't pump it! It just sits in the sump like a blob of sorghum.

PS - for the humor impaired: I'm just kidding.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Except that my water cooled wet clutch G310GS is specified to use the 15W50 Advantec oil, totally disrupting the neat classification from above.

RTFM!
    F and G bikes never enter my head when discussing BMW bikes ... and this is a Boxer forum.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    If you guys download the latest version of your owners manual, it no longer has the table saying a 40 weight oil is acceptable. It only recommends 15W50 JASO MA2. Hence this thread.

As my bike gets older, I just consider going to the 50 weight as maybe BMW has a reason to change their recommendation.
    I'm going to make my recommendation simple - just stick with what you've been using. It seems to have worked so far.

And for those of you who think Rotella is a good choice - its a diesel oil, folks, so I have to ask why, why, why? (and don't go on about specs, its still a diesel oil)

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post

YMMV
    Either way it sounds like you need a top end rebuild. Well, maybe not YOU but your bike.

F and G bikes never enter my head when discussing BMW bikes ... and this is a Boxer forum.
    OK, except your specific words were,"5W-40 full synthetic intended for use in Wetheads and any other model with a wet clutch.

Thus my mention of the wet clutch G310 bikes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/