• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thanks for the forum

I don’t know all the details but it involves adding a second spark plug to the underside of the cylinder. I’m sure someone on here could explain or go ask on Airheads.org.

Thanks. I’ll make a mental note. I don’t want to get that far ahead of myself. If I end up owning one someday, I may look into it.

Search On-Going

A few months back I was pretty focussed on locating a nice K75. I then added the R65/LS and R80 airheads into the mix.

I still like those models a lot. But my thinking is evolving some.

An older friend who was a life-long rider recently retired from motorcycling. Over the years, he owned Hondas, Harleys, and several BMWs (Ks, Rs, ultimately GSs). Has logged a lot of miles (up to Alaska and back, among other long trips.) We were chatting bikes a few weeks back and I asked him for advice. He acknowledged that bikes are personal, but said if he could do it all over again he would have skipped over most of the others and gotten a GS much sooner.

I am beginning to lean much more in that direction. But not a large one. Focussing on the F650/F700 GS twins with low suspension/seat, and also considering the F/G650 GS single. (My son already has a G650 GS.)

This would get me into a more versatile platform, and a much newer bike than the old airheads or even the K75. I like (and own a fair bit of) old classic stuff, but don’t have a lot of time for tinkering at this stage in my life. When I have time to ride, I want to hop on and go.

Still not in any hurry, but definitely narrowing in on the candidates....

I am beginning to lean much more in that direction. But not a large one. Focussing on the F650/F700 GS twins with low suspension/seat, and also considering the F/G650 GS single. (My son already has a G650 GS.) ....
I haven’t yet had my 2013 F700GS three weeks and I’m still in the process of making it mine with things like bar risers, new windscreen, etc. I think it will work out just fine. It hits the sweet spot, for me.

I was a bit tempted by the G/F650GS thumper but after seven years with a Kawasaki KLX250S I’m tired of the single-cylinder characteristics, particularly on the superslab. The F-twin purrrrs smoothly and powerfully down the tarmac yet isn’t difficult to take off pavement, at least not where I go.

Finding the right bike for you is tough. Best of luck to you!

I own or have owned 16 BMW motorcycles (not counting any of Voni's 15 or 16 of them). I was specifically looking for only four of those, and those four happened to be the only motorcycles I have ever purchased new. 1986 K75T (Old Smokey), 1997 F650 Funduro, 2003 R1150R, and 2018 G310GS. The other 12 were bikes I happened to become aware of which I decided to buy. There was only of of those I turned around and sold quickly (at the suggestion of Voni when she noticed I had it almost a year and only put 1,200 miles on it.

The intended moral of this tale is to say, keep your options a little bit open. You will know the bike you need when you find it.

I own or have owned 15 BMW motorcycles (not counting any of Voni's 15 or 16 of them). I was specifically looking for only four of those, and those four happened to be the only motorcycles I have ever purchased new. 1986 K75T (Old Smokey), 1997 F650 Funduro, 2003 R1150R, and 2018 G310GS. The other 11 were bikes I happened to become aware of which I decided to buy. There was only of of those I turned around and sold quickly (at the suggestion of Voni when she noticed I had it almost a year and only put 1,200 miles on it.

Just for grins, here are the miles put on each of these 15 motorcycles:15,297; 37,662; 8,723; 1,241; 25,495; 23,729; 369,643; 66,601; 40,329; 177,431; 2,860; 321; 27,997; 57,921; 22,000

The intended moral of this tale is to say, keep your options a little bit open. You will know the bike you need when you find it.

Last edited:
Definitely not closing the doors on other candidates yet. But from the BMW offerings, those that I mentioned are leading contenders.

Truth be told, I’m also very curious about the forthcoming smaller Africa Twin from Honda. The best available info suggests it will be a 750-850 cc parallel twin with most of the features of the larger Africa Twin. It seems Honda is aiming squarely at the F750/850 GS models. But I’m not sure I want to wait that long to make a purchase - - it could be over a year before we see it in showrooms.

Well, just to close out this thread I wanted to report that, like dellaster above, I ended up purchasing a 2013 F700GS. Have had it a few months now and so far am very pleased.

Thanks to everyone who shared advice on bikes and other topics, and got me steering toward these F-GS bikes with their multiple seat-height options. I appreciate all the help I received. This is the right bike for me and I’m enjoying adding accessories to make it mine. (Of note: I initially thought I’d need to add the hyperpro progressive lowering spring kit, but was pleasantly surprised to discover the standard suspension with factory low seat works fine for my 28” inseam.)

Looking forward to taking some longer trips with my son next year (he rides a G650GS and we are working on his Army buddies to swap their sport-bikes for ADVs) - - maybe even out West!

Finally, I have received notice that my annual membership expired. I joined for access to the forum and really don’t benefit from the other MOA activities, so won’t be renewing. I’m sure they will be shutting down my access soon, so this will likely be one of my last posts.

Thanks again for the forum and advice. Safe riding to everyone!

Back