• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thanks for the forum

vark

Greetings. New member researching and considering the purchase of an 80s/90s airhead, or a 90s K bike. Possibly even one of the smaller GS models. Not in any hurry, just gathering info at this point. Thanks for the great forum. - VARK

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your research. If you have specific questions, just ask.

Plenty of knowledgeable folks on here to answer questions. ADVrider.com is also a great resource.

Welcome, Vark. Glad to have you with us. Since "one of the smaller GS models" can be an F800 or variant, you can look around on the F800riders.com site, too. Lots of good folks and info over there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome.

I appreciate the referrals to other forums. At this point, I am somewhat suffering from forum overload. I just don’t have the bandwidth or time to search and navigate other forums. Hoping I can find the info I need here (especially since I just PAYED $ to join!!!)

By “smaller GS”, I was thinking more along the lines of the F/G650 GS. My son has one already (the single cylinder), and that is likely what I’d get if I went that route.

FWIW: Do get your heiny into the saddle of a GS vertical-twin (either skinny seat or wider comfy seat)! HSV-Karen has sampled both. Hates the Thumper; absolutely loves her '09 Twin {with >150K miles now, that's 11 years worth of riding}.
- - Thing is, there are lots & lots of choices; you're obviously on the right track by thinking 'used' vs 'new.' Good idea there! You might consider a used V-Strom. They're bullet-proof as well. Also, regarding thumpers, KLRs are also ubiquitous and well-travelled all across the Globe. That's my 2 cents; worth every cent U paid 4 it!
Ciao! HSV-Phil

FWIW: Do get your heiny into the saddle of a GS vertical-twin (either skinny seat or wider comfy seat)! HSV-Karen has sampled both. Hates the Thumper; absolutely loves her '09 Twin {with >150K miles now, that's 11 years worth of riding}.
- - Thing is, there are lots & lots of choices; you're obviously on the right track by thinking 'used' vs 'new.' Good idea there! You might consider a used V-Strom. They're bullet-proof as well. Also, regarding thumpers, KLRs are also ubiquitous and well-travelled all across the Globe. That's my 2 cents; worth every cent U paid 4 it!
Ciao! HSV-Phil

Thanks! Good to hear about alternatives. I’ve seen used V-Strom bikes and other makes as well on our local used market. But have not done any research on them yet. Maybe I’ll give them a look down the road. Right now I’m more focussed on BMW offerings, though.

And yes, I’ll be buying used. I looked at some new models, but the prices are significantly higher compared to the low-miles, well-equipped used options that I see. And the local dealers don’t seem inclined to negotiate at all on price, so I won’t be going that route.

Btw, what do the letters “HSV” stand for in your handle, and “HSV-Karen’s” handle?

I’m a KTM guy first and BMW guy second. I love my 640 Adventure and I don't think a true replacement has been built yet. Sure they stopped building them in ‘06 but low mileage ones can still be found and they are very capable on road and off. My other KTM is a played 525 XCW which is far more dirt oriented.
IMG_3443-XL.jpg

Another one you may not have thought of is the 310 GS. Jenny Morgan had a lot of fun on this long term test ride and tells you all about it in her RR.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2018-looks-promising/i-dqWfcDr/0/73c4d6ae/XL/IMG_3443-XL.jpg

Btw, what do the letters “HSV” stand for in your handle, and “HSV-Karen’s” handle?

You see it all over town here in web-addresses and on tee-shirts.

It's a friendly self-reference to the ICAO code for the HuntSVille "International" Airport. :thumb

They, NASA & the many contractors, also call HSV "The Space Capital of the Universe!"
It's the home of Marshall Space Flight Center [on Redstone Arsenal], and the birthplace of the Apollo rockets
{designed and built in HSV by Wernher von Braun and his fellow German scientists}. :german
https://rocketcenter.com/Biergarten
You can actually Dine & Dance under the Saturn V every Thursday in the biergarten. :drink :eat :dance

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
Davidson.jpeg

Last edited:
You see it all over town here in web-addresses and on tee-shirts.

It's a friendly self-reference to the ICAO code for the HuntSVille "International" Airport. :thumb

They, NASA & the many contractors, also call HSV "The Space Capital of the Universe!"
It's the home of Marshall Space Flight Center [on Redstone Arsenal], and the birthplace of the Apollo rockets
{designed and built in HSV by Wernher von Braun and his fellow German scientists}. :german
https://rocketcenter.com/Biergarten
You can actually Dine & Dance under the Saturn V every Thursday in the biergarten. :drink :eat :dance

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Ahhh - - I should have guessed that. My wife has visited Marshall many times so it's part of our family lexicon. Thanks for the explanation.:thumb

I’m a KTM guy first and BMW guy second. I love my 640 Adventure and I don't think a true replacement has been built yet. Sure they stopped building them in ‘06 but low mileage ones can still be found and they are very capable on road and off. My other KTM is a played 525 XCW which is far more dirt oriented....

Another one you may not have thought of is the 310 GS. Jenny Morgan had a lot of fun on this long term test ride and tells you all about it in her RR....

Nice KTM.

I find the 310 GS very interesting/appealing. I've sat on one at the dealership and sized it up. However, the seat on the 310 is quite high, and oddly there is no factory low-seat/low-suspension option as there is on the 750/850GS models.

I need a low seat position due to being inseam challenged. I'm not a fan of the digital display screen (prefer analog gauges), but the low-seat/low-suspension 750GS fit me VERY comfortably. However I feel the better value is in the used market and the 750GS is so new there aren't many used out there. Even if I was shopping new, I would have a really hard time buying a Bavarian motorcycle with a chinese engine.

Mark - Welcome to the BMW MOA! Great that you've joined before purchasing a bike. You don't show in your profile where you're living. There is probably a BMW MOA Chartered Club somewhere near you, and the members there could give you some good pointers.

If you're in Massachusetts/Connecticut/Rhode Island/Vermont/New Hampshire the Yankee Beemers are having a monthly "Ride to Eat" breakfast in Mendon, MA this coming Sunday morning (10/20). Other chartered clubs have similar events.

Anyway, now the fun begins!

You think the 310 is tall? That KTM has a 37” seat height and my little inseam is only 30”. You get used to it.:)

Mark - Welcome to the BMW MOA! Great that you've joined before purchasing a bike. You don't show in your profile where you're living. There is probably a BMW MOA Chartered Club somewhere near you, and the members there could give you some good pointers.

If you're in Massachusetts/Connecticut/Rhode Island/Vermont/New Hampshire the Yankee Beemers are having a monthly "Ride to Eat" breakfast in Mendon, MA this coming Sunday morning (10/20). Other chartered clubs have similar events.

Anyway, now the fun begins!

Thanks for the invite. I’m in the mid-atlantic region, so you’re a bit beyond my usual stomping grounds. Enjoy your gathering, and ride safe!

You think the 310 is tall? That KTM has a 37” seat height and my little inseam is only 30”. You get used to it.:)

No thanks! That’s not something I’d want to get used to. I prefer flat footing if at all possible.:thumb

Btw, that looks like an R65LS in your avatar photo. How do you like that bike? It’s on my “short” list....

Yes that is my R65 LS on the Tail of the Dragon on my way or the MOA rally in Tennessee last June. Fun little bike that gave me 10K of good riding this summer. Surprisingly I had no issues starting my trip with 4x900 km days, it works far better than expected for long distance running. My next mission is to see how my new to me R1100 S feels for extended trips.

Yes that is my R65 LS on the Tail of the Dragon on my way or the MOA rally in Tennessee last June. Fun little bike that gave me 10K of good riding this summer. Surprisingly I had no issues starting my trip with 4x900 km days, it works far better than expected for long distance running. My next mission is to see how my new to me R1100 S feels for extended trips.

Thanks for the feedback. Especially about the highway cruising. They sure look like tidy bikes, and I assumed they would be good for “around town” but wondered if owners do much extended highway cruising with them.

And I understand there is a big bore kit available if more power is desired....

Yup, there is a Siebenrock 860 kit available. I’ve been told it is good to do a dual plug mod at the same time. I want one for my machine.

Yup, there is a Siebenrock 860 kit available. I’ve been told it is good to do a dual plug mod at the same time. I want one for my machine.

Yes, that’s the one (Siebenrock) I have read about. Seems like a pretty slick kit.

Dual plug mod? What does that entail?

I don’t know all the details but it involves adding a second spark plug to the underside of the cylinder. I’m sure someone on here could explain or go ask on Airheads.org.

Back