Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for the forum

Thanks for the forum

Greetings. New member researching and considering the purchase of an 80s/90s airhead, or a 90s K bike. Possibly even one of the smaller GS models. Not in any hurry, just gathering info at this point. Thanks for the great forum. - VARK

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your research. If you have specific questions, just ask.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Plenty of knowledgeable folks on here to answer questions. ADVrider.com is also a great resource.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Welcome, Vark. Glad to have you with us. Since "one of the smaller GS models" can be an F800 or variant, you can look around on the F800riders.com site, too. Lots of good folks and info over there.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Thanks for the welcome.

I appreciate the referrals to other forums. At this point, I am somewhat suffering from forum overload. I just don’t have the bandwidth or time to search and navigate other forums. Hoping I can find the info I need here (especially since I just PAYED $ to join!!!)

By “smaller GS”, I was thinking more along the lines of the F/G650 GS. My son has one already (the single cylinder), and that is likely what I’d get if I went that route.

FWIW: Do get your heiny into the saddle of a GS vertical-twin (either skinny seat or wider comfy seat)! HSV-Karen has sampled both. Hates the Thumper; absolutely loves her '09 Twin {with >150K miles now, that's 11 years worth of riding}.
    - - Thing is, there are lots & lots of choices; you're obviously on the right track by thinking 'used' vs 'new.' Good idea there! You might consider a used V-Strom. They're bullet-proof as well. Also, regarding thumpers, KLRs are also ubiquitous and well-travelled all across the Globe. That's my 2 cents; worth every cent U paid 4 it!
    Ciao! HSV-Phil

Quote Originally Posted by HSVPhil View Post
    FWIW: Do get your heiny into the saddle of a GS vertical-twin (either skinny seat or wider comfy seat)! HSV-Karen has sampled both. Hates the Thumper; absolutely loves her '09 Twin {with >150K miles now, that's 11 years worth of riding}.
    - - Thing is, there are lots & lots of choices; you're obviously on the right track by thinking 'used' vs 'new.' Good idea there! You might consider a used V-Strom. They're bullet-proof as well. Also, regarding thumpers, KLRs are also ubiquitous and well-travelled all across the Globe. That's my 2 cents; worth every cent U paid 4 it!
    Ciao! HSV-Phil
    Thanks! Good to hear about alternatives. I’ve seen used V-Strom bikes and other makes as well on our local used market. But have not done any research on them yet. Maybe I’ll give them a look down the road. Right now I’m more focussed on BMW offerings, though.

And yes, I’ll be buying used. I looked at some new models, but the prices are significantly higher compared to the low-miles, well-equipped used options that I see. And the local dealers don’t seem inclined to negotiate at all on price, so I won’t be going that route.

Btw, what do the letters “HSV” stand for in your handle, and “HSV-Karen’s” handle?

I’m a KTM guy first and BMW guy second. I love my 640 Adventure and I don't think a true replacement has been built yet. Sure they stopped building them in ‘06 but low mileage ones can still be found and they are very capable on road and off. My other KTM is a played 525 XCW which is far more dirt oriented.
    IMG_3443-XL.jpg

Another one you may not have thought of is the 310 GS. Jenny Morgan had a lot of fun on this long term test ride and tells you all about it in her RR.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...MG_3443-XL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Btw, what do the letters “HSV” stand for in your handle, and “HSV-Karen’s” handle?
    You see it all over town here in web-addresses and on tee-shirts.

It's a friendly self-reference to the ICAO code for the HuntSVille "International" Airport.

They, NASA & the many contractors, also call HSV "The Space Capital of the Universe!"
    It's the home of Marshall Space Flight Center [on Redstone Arsenal], and the birthplace of the Apollo rockets
    {designed and built in HSV by Wernher von Braun and his fellow German scientists}.
    https://rocketcenter.com/Biergarten
    You can actually Dine & Dance under the Saturn V every Thursday in the biergarten.

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
    Davidson.jpeg
    Last edited by HSVPhil; 10-17-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HSVPhil View Post
    You see it all over town here in web-addresses and on tee-shirts.

It's a friendly self-reference to the ICAO code for the HuntSVille "International" Airport.

They, NASA & the many contractors, also call HSV "The Space Capital of the Universe!"
    It's the home of Marshall Space Flight Center [on Redstone Arsenal], and the birthplace of the Apollo rockets
    {designed and built in HSV by Wernher von Braun and his fellow German scientists}.
    https://rocketcenter.com/Biergarten
    You can actually Dine & Dance under the Saturn V every Thursday in the biergarten.

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
    Ahhh - - I should have guessed that. My wife has visited Marshall many times so it's part of our family lexicon. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I’m a KTM guy first and BMW guy second. I love my 640 Adventure and I don't think a true replacement has been built yet. Sure they stopped building them in ‘06 but low mileage ones can still be found and they are very capable on road and off. My other KTM is a played 525 XCW which is far more dirt oriented....

Another one you may not have thought of is the 310 GS. Jenny Morgan had a lot of fun on this long term test ride and tells you all about it in her RR....
    Nice KTM.

I find the 310 GS very interesting/appealing. I've sat on one at the dealership and sized it up. However, the seat on the 310 is quite high, and oddly there is no factory low-seat/low-suspension option as there is on the 750/850GS models.

I need a low seat position due to being inseam challenged. I'm not a fan of the digital display screen (prefer analog gauges), but the low-seat/low-suspension 750GS fit me VERY comfortably. However I feel the better value is in the used market and the 750GS is so new there aren't many used out there. Even if I was shopping new, I would have a really hard time buying a Bavarian motorcycle with a chinese engine.

Mark - Welcome to the BMW MOA! Great that you've joined before purchasing a bike. You don't show in your profile where you're living. There is probably a BMW MOA Chartered Club somewhere near you, and the members there could give you some good pointers.

If you're in Massachusetts/Connecticut/Rhode Island/Vermont/New Hampshire the Yankee Beemers are having a monthly "Ride to Eat" breakfast in Mendon, MA this coming Sunday morning (10/20). Other chartered clubs have similar events.

Anyway, now the fun begins!
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

You think the 310 is tall? That KTM has a 37” seat height and my little inseam is only 30”. You get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Mark - Welcome to the BMW MOA! Great that you've joined before purchasing a bike. You don't show in your profile where you're living. There is probably a BMW MOA Chartered Club somewhere near you, and the members there could give you some good pointers.

If you're in Massachusetts/Connecticut/Rhode Island/Vermont/New Hampshire the Yankee Beemers are having a monthly "Ride to Eat" breakfast in Mendon, MA this coming Sunday morning (10/20). Other chartered clubs have similar events.

Anyway, now the fun begins!
    Thanks for the invite. I’m in the mid-atlantic region, so you’re a bit beyond my usual stomping grounds. Enjoy your gathering, and ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    You think the 310 is tall? That KTM has a 37” seat height and my little inseam is only 30”. You get used to it.
    No thanks! That’s not something I’d want to get used to. I prefer flat footing if at all possible.

Btw, that looks like an R65LS in your avatar photo. How do you like that bike? It’s on my “short” list....