• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to use a magnetic tank bag on a plastic tank 2017 RT

Interesting idea with the magnets. Personally I have so much invested in the Givi Tanklock system I'm going to stick with it. I have them mounted to the undeside of a Mosko Nomad and an RKA Shiloh Road and the default Givi semi hard bag, all with USB power sources inside. The benefit of the system IMHO is the ability to be able to move them between bikes, makes it almost too convenient!
You got me thinking though....

I wonder if all these magnets will foul up the magnetic stripe on so many things that have a magnetic strip if stored in the bag...........or my cassette tapes :)
OM

Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about this as it broadens the options and I don't think I want the horseshoe on the fuel cap for the majority of the time I am bagless.

I have a tiny Givi bag I leave on all the time, cell phone, billfold, eyeglasses, and gloves all go into it.

Someone mentioned a powered bag, I don't see the need. I do have a Powerlet/USB adapter and cable to charge my phone. I just run the cable through the zipper opening when I need it. When I don't, the cable and adapter goes in the Givi bag.

I wonder if all these magnets will foul up the magnetic stripe on so many things that have a magnetic strip if stored in the bag...........or my cassette tapes :)
OM

One reason I don't like magnetic bags. Too many gadgets around that might not like magnets.

I have a tiny Givi bag I leave on all the time, cell phone, billfold, eyeglasses, and gloves all go into it.

Someone mentioned a powered bag, I don't see the need. I do have a Powerlet/USB adapter and cable to charge my phone. I just run the cable through the zipper opening when I need it. When I don't, the cable and adapter goes in the Givi bag.

Exactly my setup. Works perfect and makes getting gas a snap.

Been using this setup for a week now and it works fine. The magnets are several inches away from the tank bag body so that they don't affect anything in the bag. And they aren't strong enough without their counterparts in the tank bag to affect anything. Besides, I stopped carry 8 tracks and cassettes years ago :). There are several commercially available magnetic cell phone holders so that's not a concern here.

I did not experiment with just metal under the tank tupperware, but I think it would not be magnetic enough to work through the bodywork. No reason why you couldn't try this though, because when you have the tank top center plastic piece apart from the body you can try whatever you want to see what sticks well enough through the plastic to satisfy you. Out of an abundance of caution I also put some 3M Vivid clear bra on the plastic where the magnets stick, but that's probably overkill.

I am happy with how this worked out. It's not something I think that commercial tank bag sellers would use though because it isn't proprietary. If they can't make their own special magnet/buckle/hook system that a person has to buy from them then there's no money in it. And I like the way my tank looks when it's off with nothing else to clutter up the clean factory look. It's all good.

Back