Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to use a magnetic tank bag on a plastic tank 2017 RT

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Same here, Givi tank lock. I don't have many miles on it, but quick on and off. No scratches on the tank. No idea why someone would mess with straps or magnets.
    +1
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

I don't recall saying this was anything but another way to mount a tankbag that maybe hadn't been explored before, not that it was better than anything else. For those of you with straps, hooks, screwed in magnets etc, if you like what you have go with it. I didn't intend this to be a contest for the best tankbag/attachment, just some idea sharing, which is what I think this forum is for. I have had all of those at one time or another and they all work. This is just another way that works. And here's what my tank looks like with this setup.

PA151158_edited.jpg
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Same applies to the SW Motech Evo system.
    I've got an Evo 2.0 on my new RS and it's just elegant. Good to know that it's reliable, too
    Rinty

No idea why someone would mess with straps or magnets.
    I have a strap system on the BMW tank bag on my '05 ST. With the Fastex buckles, it's just as easy to use as the SW Motech ring system on my new RS.

As usual, it comes down to what you're used to, and personal preference.

When I think back on the Rube Goldberg systems I had on my airhead tank bags..... I had a Bagman piece with straps and buckles that I sourced at Mountain Equipment Co-op and sewed on by my shoemaker.
    Last edited by Rinty; 10-17-2019 at 02:51 AM.
    Rinty

Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about this as it broadens the options and I don't think I want the horseshoe on the fuel cap for the majority of the time I am bagless. Do you think magnets would also fit under the side panels as well as the center panel?
    Did you experiment with just a piece of metal under the plastic? I am guessing not enough pull for the magnet.
    61 R27, 64 R60/2, 82 R100RT, 01 R1100RT, 18 R1200RT, 63 Honda CA110, 65 Honda S90, 71 Honda CB350 and many gone but not forgoten

Interesting idea with the magnets. Personally I have so much invested in the Givi Tanklock system I'm going to stick with it. I have them mounted to the undeside of a Mosko Nomad and an RKA Shiloh Road and the default Givi semi hard bag, all with USB power sources inside. The benefit of the system IMHO is the ability to be able to move them between bikes, makes it almost too convenient!
    You got me thinking though....
    Andrew
    MOA # 210167
    Mars Red RT White Multistrada 1200 Enduro Bonbler Black i.e. Bonneville Black Scrambler (carb)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wonder if all these magnets will foul up the magnetic stripe on so many things that have a magnetic strip if stored in the bag...........or my cassette tapes
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 515PHOTO View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about this as it broadens the options and I don't think I want the horseshoe on the fuel cap for the majority of the time I am bagless.

I have a tiny Givi bag I leave on all the time, cell phone, billfold, eyeglasses, and gloves all go into it.

Someone mentioned a powered bag, I don't see the need. I do have a Powerlet/USB adapter and cable to charge my phone. I just run the cable through the zipper opening when I need it. When I don't, the cable and adapter goes in the Givi bag.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I wonder if all these magnets will foul up the magnetic stripe on so many things that have a magnetic strip if stored in the bag...........or my cassette tapes
    OM

One reason I don't like magnetic bags. Too many gadgets around that might not like magnets.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I have a tiny Givi bag I leave on all the time, cell phone, billfold, eyeglasses, and gloves all go into it.

Someone mentioned a powered bag, I don't see the need. I do have a Powerlet/USB adapter and cable to charge my phone. I just run the cable through the zipper opening when I need it. When I don't, the cable and adapter goes in the Givi bag.
    Exactly my setup. Works perfect and makes getting gas a snap.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Been using this setup for a week now and it works fine. The magnets are several inches away from the tank bag body so that they don't affect anything in the bag. And they aren't strong enough without their counterparts in the tank bag to affect anything. Besides, I stopped carry 8 tracks and cassettes years ago . There are several commercially available magnetic cell phone holders so that's not a concern here.

I did not experiment with just metal under the tank tupperware, but I think it would not be magnetic enough to work through the bodywork. No reason why you couldn't try this though, because when you have the tank top center plastic piece apart from the body you can try whatever you want to see what sticks well enough through the plastic to satisfy you. Out of an abundance of caution I also put some 3M Vivid clear bra on the plastic where the magnets stick, but that's probably overkill.

I am happy with how this worked out. It's not something I think that commercial tank bag sellers would use though because it isn't proprietary. If they can't make their own special magnet/buckle/hook system that a person has to buy from them then there's no money in it. And I like the way my tank looks when it's off with nothing else to clutter up the clean factory look. It's all good.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT