• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to use a magnetic tank bag on a plastic tank 2017 RT

AjaxTheDog

If anyone is interested in an alternative tank bag mounting system I have made one that works for magnetic tank bags. I used some flat round neodymium N52 magnets and mounted them under the tank tupperware so that my magnetic tank bag could stick to it without straps or anything else to hold it on. The magnets are strong enough that the bag sticks as well as it would to metal tanks I have had. They are also thin enough so that they easily fit under the plastic using the 3M sticky pads that come with them and no other modifications are necessary. The tank bag is small enough that the handlebars don’t contact it at full lock, except on the left side where my aftermarket add on’s stick out a little.

The parts I used were from Amazon:

DIYMAG Powerful N52 Neodymium Disc Magnets, Strong, Permanent, Rare Earth Magnets. 1.26 inch x 1/8 inch, Pack of 10, $11

Chase Harper USA 409M Magnetic Tank Bag - Water-Resistant, Tear-Resistant, Industrial Grade Ballistic Nylon with Anti-Scratch Rubberized Polymer Bottom, Super Strong Neodymium Magnets, $45.75.

I’ll probably use a safety tether for the first few rides just in case, but I doubt I will need it long term. Super easy to use, just put it on or pull it off, the magnets snap it into the same position every time, and nothing to spoil the bikes good looks when it’s off. I didn't do this to save money, I just didn't like any of the other attachment systems or bags I saw available.

I tried to upload photos and it kept failing so I'll just share an album I made: https://photos.app.goo.gl/smwU1ewZ9bQdikuk7

Great idea, aren’t you worried that having magnets under the plastics might attract something that could later scratch you paint when not using the tank bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea, aren’t you worried that having magnets under the plastics might attract something that could later scratch you paint when not using the tank bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might put some of that clear film on just to prevent such a thing. I have a bunch left over from doing the headlight. The magnets under the plastic are powerful but not so much that I worry about that. They only work best when the other magnets in the tank bag get near, then there is a doubling effect.

tank-bag.jpg

Magnetic connector:

hepco-becker-tank-ring-bmw-f850gs_8.jpg

https://www.motomachines.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hepco+tank+bag

Why bother? The tank ring bags work so well. Just buy the two halves of the tank ring and bolt one to the bag. It’s a better solution.

Why bother? Because those bolt-on bags can look like UFO's. I've also seen the release mechanism fail, causing the guy to go to great lengths to remove the bag and get fuel. Another guy, same trip, left his bag on top of a gas pump, didn't notice for 10 miles! (how is that possible)

I like the magnet idea and thought about doing the same thing but didn't know what effect it might have on the bikes electronics. I think I'd try magnet sheets and make sure the whole underside of the tank cover is covered. That way when you get fuel you just move the bag over. Being able to stick the bag anywhere on the tank is awesome.

Why bother? Because those bolt-on bags can look like UFO's. I've also seen the release mechanism fail, causing the guy to go to great lengths to remove the bag and get fuel. Another guy, same trip, left his bag on top of a gas pump, didn't notice for 10 miles! (how is that possible)

I like the magnet idea and thought about doing the same thing but didn't know what effect it might have on the bikes electronics. I think I'd try magnet sheets and make sure the whole underside of the tank cover is covered. That way when you get fuel you just move the bag over. Being able to stick the bag anywhere on the tank is awesome.

There's many perspectives on the best option. Strap-on, ring-mount (various mfg's) and magnetic. I'm likely the strangest with my paranoia-based preference for a tank cover. Not many water cooled boxers sporting a Bagster tank cover and a cortech tank bag, besides me.

Hey to each his own I totally get it. But I’ve run the Givi tank lock system for near 30,000 mikes as have my riding buddies with not a hint of system failure. And most importantly to me not the slightest mark or scratch of the tank. And you have a choice of many bag sizes. But hey whatever floats you boat.

Hey to each his own I totally get it. But I’ve run the Givi tank lock system for near 30,000 mikes as have my riding buddies with not a hint of system failure. And most importantly to me not the slightest mark or scratch of the tank. And you have a choice of many bag sizes. But hey whatever floats you boat.
Same applies to the SW Motech Evo system. 0 issues in many thousands of miles.
Fillups are like an F1 pit stop.

Same here, Givi tank lock. I don't have many miles on it, but quick on and off. No scratches on the tank. No idea why someone would mess with straps or magnets.

I don't recall saying this was anything but another way to mount a tankbag that maybe hadn't been explored before, not that it was better than anything else. For those of you with straps, hooks, screwed in magnets etc, if you like what you have go with it. I didn't intend this to be a contest for the best tankbag/attachment, just some idea sharing, which is what I think this forum is for. I have had all of those at one time or another and they all work. This is just another way that works. And here's what my tank looks like with this setup.

PA151158_edited.jpg

No idea why someone would mess with straps or magnets.

I have a strap system on the BMW tank bag on my '05 ST. With the Fastex buckles, it's just as easy to use as the SW Motech ring system on my new RS.

As usual, it comes down to what you're used to, and personal preference.

When I think back on the Rube Goldberg systems I had on my airhead tank bags.....:banghead I had a Bagman piece with straps and buckles that I sourced at Mountain Equipment Co-op and sewed on by my shoemaker. :(

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking about this as it broadens the options and I don't think I want the horseshoe on the fuel cap for the majority of the time I am bagless. Do you think magnets would also fit under the side panels as well as the center panel?
Did you experiment with just a piece of metal under the plastic? I am guessing not enough pull for the magnet.

Back