• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Won't start at low temp

KJ6OCL

Geoxman
I have a 2011 R1200RT. During the last few days when I want to ride in the mornings (25 deg F) the engine turn over, however will not fire and sounds strange. By late afternoon, (temps in the 70s) it will start right up, however wants to stall if I try to take off right away. If I let it warm up for 2 or 3 minutes, everything is perfect and rides like there is no problem at all. I also have a 2000 R1200C that starts right up at temps in the teens. I would appreciate any help as where to look for this problem.

I have a 2011 R1200RT. During the last few days when I want to ride in the mornings (25 deg F) the engine turn over, however will not fire and sounds strange. By late afternoon, (temps in the 70s) it will start right up, however wants to stall if I try to take off right away. If I let it warm up for 2 or 3 minutes, everything is perfect and rides like there is no problem at all. I also have a 2000 R1200C that starts right up at temps in the teens. I would appreciate any help as where to look for this problem.

I had that same problem when using 20W-50. Switched to 10W-40 and it cured it.

Owners manual calls for the throttle to be cracked a little when starting at "low" temperatures, and for the clutch to be disengaged after ignition "on" but before starting when below freezing.

Starting.jpg

Below ~35º, my hexhead starts immediately IF I remember to get the throttles off the stops. If I forget, it will usually just crank until I remember. Camheads might tolerate lower temperatures better since the specs call for somewhat thinner cold viscosity weights than the Hexhead. (The Camhead manual bases weight recommendations on lowest expected temp with no consideration of upper temperature, while the Hexhead specs use a range of both low and high temps. Sorry, I'm getting OT and we don't need another oil thread.)

Cold, thick, 90W transmission oil puts a load on the starter that you can relieve by pulling in the clutch, at any temperature, even in neutral.

Last edited:
Owners manual calls for the throttle to be cracked a little when starting at "low" temperatures, and for the clutch to be disengaged after ignition "on" but before starting when below freezing.

View attachment 75921

Below ~35º, my hexhead starts immediately IF I remember to get the throttles off the stops. If I forget, it will usually just crank until I remember. Camheads might tolerate lower temperatures better since the specs call for somewhat thinner cold viscosity weights than the Hexhead. (The Camhead manual bases weight recommendations on lowest expected temp with no consideration of upper temperature, while the Hexhead specs use a range of both low and high temps. Sorry, I'm getting OT and we don't need another oil thread.)

Cold, thick, 90W transmission oil puts a load on the starter that you can relieve by pulling in the clutch, at any temperature, even in neutral.

Totally forgot about pulling in the clutch while starting for cooler temps- thanks for the attachment!

Thanks!

I will try some of the above throttle and clutch maneuvers in the AM, should be in the low 30s. Thanks to all for your help!

OK, had a morning in low 30s. Pulled in the clutch and cracked the throttle a bit and it started right up. Thanks for the help!!! I tried a few times that morning, and realized that after the third try the battery was turning the motor over much slower......new one on its way to me. The ironic part of this is that I have a sign in my shop that states: "When all else fails, read the directions"

The ironic part of this is that I have a sign in my shop that states: "When all else fails, read the directions"

funny, my saying is "when all else fails, read the instructions, if that doesn't work, follow them..."

:thumb

Back