Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defective Seat R1250GS

Defective Seat R1250GS

Hello All,

I have a 1mo old R1250GS with 2000mi on the clock and my seat started to wear and almost tearing! Iíve had many bikes in the past and Iíve never seen anything like this before? I never keep anything in my back pocket (I wear Revit Sand 3 pants .. no back pockets). My dealer Cross Country took pictures to send to BMW last week and waiting to hear back.

I was wondering if anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks!

IMG_2177.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warranty
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

seat

I have 5,220 miles on my 1250GS and have no seat wear. I wear jeans in the summer and Klim Badland pants this time of year. Looks like it may be caused by zipper teeth. Do you have vent zippers in that part of your pants. If not, I hope BMW will make it right for you.
    Last edited by apbehnen; 12-18-2019 at 02:17 AM.

No, I donít. I wear Revit Sand pants and sometimes jeans. I think theyíre going to warranty the seat however havenít heard back as of yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Definitely a warranty issue.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by 2UpAdventures View Post
    No, I don’t. I wear Revit Sand pants and sometimes jeans. I think they’re going to warranty the seat however haven’t heard back as of yet
    Buy something more comfortable like a Sargent seat (which doesn't need a donor seat pan) and put the brand new warranty seat away for if you ever sell the bike.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Results

Did you ever get your seat issue worked out with BMW?

Quote Originally Posted by apbehnen View Post
    Did you ever get your seat issue worked out with BMW?
    Unfortunately not yet, dealer is giving me the runaround and BMW states its not a quality issue..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mehrten
    I was told by Iron Horse Motorcycles that there is a one year fit and finish warranty on all new BMWs.

Call them on it.

That is definitely poor finish.

That's a wear issue, not a material issue, IMO. Something wore the seat right at that particular spot as there's no issue(s) anywhere else on the seat. It also looks like right where a wallet would contact the seat, IMO.

I side with BMW on this one, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    That's a wear issue, not a material issue, IMO. Something wore the seat right at that particular spot as there's no issue(s) anywhere else on the seat. It also looks like right where a wallet would contact the seat, IMO.

One month old with 2K miles on the odometer? And his riding pants don’t even have rear pockets?

One would hope BMW uses a durable seat material capable of withstanding the normal wear and tear caused by a rider over a few thousands miles.

Get a closer picture of the failed areas. From what I see, it appears to be blistering of the fabric. My guess is ....somewhere, somehow, someone placed that seat near something hot and the exterior surface is now brittle.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

It has been two months...has the seat grown a second skin yet? Or better yet, has BMW's Rep gotten involved and actually looked at the seat? Since they're have their Reps evolving into covering everything from type of floor covering to being goodwill ambassadors, would think this to be a five minute decision, once eyes-on-it. Took me one week to get a new side stand install decision, with nothing mechanically wrong on initial stand, except I thought it was too short.
    MOA #46783

Take this post with a grain of salt because my knowledge is 18 years old. But back then the closely guarded secret was that almost all warranty decisions were delegated to the dealerships. Dealerships were monitored for being too generous or too stingy - statistics you know - and then and only then did the mothership intervene. Otherwise the decision was purely and obsolutely up to the local dealer. They often blamed corporate but that was a corrupt copout.

So my first question to the dealership would be, Is this within your authority to approve a warranty claim?" If so, do it!
    Last edited by PGlaves; 12-17-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

GS seat

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post

A wear issue? The bike is 1 month old. So by your reasoning anything which contacts the rider or the road surface has no warranty for quality control issues? If that were the case why would any manufacturer advertise any warranty and why would anyone buy such a blatantly defective product?