• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Defective Seat R1250GS

2UpAdventures

Hello All,

I have a 1mo old R1250GS with 2000mi on the clock and my seat started to wear and almost tearing! I’ve had many bikes in the past and I’ve never seen anything like this before? I never keep anything in my back pocket (I wear Revit Sand 3 pants .. no back pockets). My dealer Cross Country took pictures to send to BMW last week and waiting to hear back.

I was wondering if anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks!

88336a67202a4a8ae71e8ccfbcf63bb5.jpg
910cde3c3cbd0f83ae15d788911317bc.jpg
IMG_2177.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seat

I have 5,220 miles on my 1250GS and have no seat wear. I wear jeans in the summer and Klim Badland pants this time of year. Looks like it may be caused by zipper teeth. Do you have vent zippers in that part of your pants. If not, I hope BMW will make it right for you.

Last edited:
No, I don’t. I wear Revit Sand pants and sometimes jeans. I think they’re going to warranty the seat however haven’t heard back as of yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don’t. I wear Revit Sand pants and sometimes jeans. I think they’re going to warranty the seat however haven’t heard back as of yet

Buy something more comfortable like a Sargent seat (which doesn't need a donor seat pan) and put the brand new warranty seat away for if you ever sell the bike.

I was told by Iron Horse Motorcycles that there is a one year fit and finish warranty on all new BMWs.

Call them on it.

That is definitely poor finish.

That's a wear issue, not a material issue, IMO. Something wore the seat right at that particular spot as there's no issue(s) anywhere else on the seat. It also looks like right where a wallet would contact the seat, IMO.

I side with BMW on this one, sorry.

That's a wear issue, not a material issue, IMO. Something wore the seat right at that particular spot as there's no issue(s) anywhere else on the seat. It also looks like right where a wallet would contact the seat, IMO.

One month old with 2K miles on the odometer? And his riding pants don’t even have rear pockets?

One would hope BMW uses a durable seat material capable of withstanding the normal wear and tear caused by a rider over a few thousands miles.

Get a closer picture of the failed areas. From what I see, it appears to be blistering of the fabric. My guess is ....somewhere, somehow, someone placed that seat near something hot and the exterior surface is now brittle.

It has been two months...has the seat grown a second skin yet? Or better yet, has BMW's Rep gotten involved and actually looked at the seat? Since they're have their Reps evolving into covering everything from type of floor covering to being goodwill ambassadors, would think this to be a five minute decision, once eyes-on-it. Took me one week to get a new side stand install decision, with nothing mechanically wrong on initial stand, except I thought it was too short.

Take this post with a grain of salt because my knowledge is 18 years old. But back then the closely guarded secret was that almost all warranty decisions were delegated to the dealerships. Dealerships were monitored for being too generous or too stingy - statistics you know - and then and only then did the mothership intervene. Otherwise the decision was purely and obsolutely up to the local dealer. They often blamed corporate but that was a corrupt copout.

So my first question to the dealership would be, Is this within your authority to approve a warranty claim?" If so, do it!

Last edited:
GS seat

A wear issue? The bike is 1 month old. So by your reasoning anything which contacts the rider or the road surface has no warranty for quality control issues? If that were the case why would any manufacturer advertise any warranty and why would anyone buy such a blatantly defective product?

Heat from a hot muffler or other source can change things in zero miles and an instant. And could have happened before the OP received the bike, or at a 600 mile service, or most anywhere/anytime by a miscreant with a heat source. Certain chemicals could also create such an issue. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

If that were your seat I think you would feel differently. :scratch

Heat from a hot muffler or other source can change things in zero miles and an instant. And could have happened before the OP received the bike, or at a 600 mile service, or most anywhere/anytime by a miscreant with a heat source. Certain chemicals could also create such an issue. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

Yes, I concur. The additional caution on chemicals is good.

BMW seat failure

Take this post with a grain of salt because my knowledge is 18 years old. But back then the closely guarded secret was that almost all warranty decisions were delegated to the dealerships. Dealerships were monitored for being too generous or too stingy - statistics you know - and then and only then did the mothership intervene. Otherwise the decision was purely and obsolutely up to the local dealer. They often blamed corporate but that was a corrupt copout.

So my first question to the dealership would be, Is this within your authority to approve a warranty claim?" If so, do it!

Agree with above - the dealer should be handling this and if for some reason they aren't, they should be your advocate in dealing with BMW.

Side step the "is it warranty or not" and address it as good will to the customer who just spent $20K+ on the purchase - it isn't a question of whether the customer is right or wrong, it's a question of how much do they value the customer - the customer may not always be right, but he is still the customer.

Should be a no brainer "Sir, this doesn't look like a warranty issue but let's handle it for you on a one time basis as a good will gesture. We value as a customer and want you to continue to be loyal to the dealership and to the brand" We appreciate your business because we know you have many options and we are pleased you chose our dealership and BMW.

Back