Thread: R65 Seat/Cowl

R65 Seat/Cowl

Hi All-

As I began the process of bringing my recently purchased ‘81 R65 back to life, I was in need of a number of body pieces, including a seat and rear cowl. The seat that came with the bike was the stock unit with a smooth surface and cowl, both in poor condition. I purchased these parts from another MOA member, and they arrived as advertised. Apparently, however, the parts came off a 1980 R65. Thus the seat is ribbed, not smooth, and the pan seems different. The cowl is also different shape, being taller, etc.

I was under the impression that these pieces were interchangeable for the years ‘80-‘81, but not so..? Will these pieces still the bike and subframe?

Thanks for your comments!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tlangman4 View Post
    Hi All-

As I began the process of bringing my recently purchased ‘81 R65 back to life, I was in need of a number of body pieces, including a seat and rear cowl. The seat that came with the bike was the stock unit with a smooth surface and cowl, both in poor condition. I purchased these parts from another MOA member, and they arrived as advertised. Apparently, however, the parts came off a 1980 R65. Thus the seat is ribbed, not smooth, and the pan seems different. The cowl is also different shape, being taller, etc.

I was under the impression that these pieces were interchangeable for the years ‘80-‘81, but not so..?
    I’m no R65 expert, but it sounds like the seat and cowl that you got with your bike may be R65LS bits, and the ones you’ve bought are those for a non-LS bike. Pictures would help. The bike frames and fuel tanks were the same for all twin-shock R65s, so the seats and seat cowls may well be interchangeable.