• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R65 Seat/Cowl

tlangman4

Hi All-

As I began the process of bringing my recently purchased ‘81 R65 back to life, I was in need of a number of body pieces, including a seat and rear cowl. The seat that came with the bike was the stock unit with a smooth surface and cowl, both in poor condition. I purchased these parts from another MOA member, and they arrived as advertised. Apparently, however, the parts came off a 1980 R65. Thus the seat is ribbed, not smooth, and the pan seems different. The cowl is also different shape, being taller, etc.

I was under the impression that these pieces were interchangeable for the years ‘80-‘81, but not so..? Will these pieces still the bike and subframe?

Thanks for your comments!

Tom

Hi All-

As I began the process of bringing my recently purchased ‘81 R65 back to life, I was in need of a number of body pieces, including a seat and rear cowl. The seat that came with the bike was the stock unit with a smooth surface and cowl, both in poor condition. I purchased these parts from another MOA member, and they arrived as advertised. Apparently, however, the parts came off a 1980 R65. Thus the seat is ribbed, not smooth, and the pan seems different. The cowl is also different shape, being taller, etc.

I was under the impression that these pieces were interchangeable for the years ‘80-‘81, but not so..?

I’m no R65 expert, but it sounds like the seat and cowl that you got with your bike may be R65LS bits, and the ones you’ve bought are those for a non-LS bike. Pictures would help. The bike frames and fuel tanks were the same for all twin-shock R65s, so the seats and seat cowls may well be interchangeable.

Back