• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wired Molded Ear Buds - Need Help Adding a Mic and Connect All to iPhone

boltgunner

Hello all - I am attempting to connect my ears and my voice to my iPhone while I ride. I have a Schuberth C3 helmet and have an SRC system which is basically useless because of wind noise - I cannot hear the speakers. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on custom earbuds which block wind noise and sound wonderful when you plug them directly into the iPhone, but I still need to fill in the blanks and add some kind of microphone inside the helmet that will tie into all of this, so that I can answer a phone call and hang up that phone call. I don’t care if it’s wired all the way or wireless - I just need to be able to handle calls because of the very long rides that I plan to take. Sooner or later I get a call and I have to take it and I’d rather not pull to the side and shut down and then use the phone like everybody else. I am grateful for any suggestions you can provide, and thank you in advance!

I use the Schuberth SC10U with my C3. Works great with phone calls and Waze audio over bluetooth. Haven’t seen a separate mic system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a system that allows you to communicate by phone while riding, so why not try to solve the real problem which seems to be excessive wind noise?

I’d recommend getting something like a Sena or Cardo Systems intercom unit that you can plug your earbuds into. My old Sena 20S had a jack in the mount while my Cardo Packtalk Bold has an in-line jack. You get your audio through the earbuds and both systems have noise-cancelling mics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run custom moulded ear buds to my iPod. I cannot go to answering my phone while riding. I check it at gas stops and that’s usually the only time I stop often 10+ hours a day. I figure people can wait a couple of hours for me to return a call.

Cardo connects directly

As Fastman noted, easiest to buy something that you can just plug into. The Cardo Packtalk system that I use comes with a microphone and speakers and my ear buds plug into the Cardo helmet speaker system jack without modifications. On my latest helmet I didn't even bother to install the helmet speakers because I always use the ear buds anyway and the helmet speakers just clutter the helmet with (now) unused wiring.

I use the Cardo Pactalk as the central unit that my other devices bluetooth link to, including the Nav VI GPS and my phone. The Nav VI GPS announces phone calls on its screen and I can tap the screen to answer. Works pretty well.

I tried a number of ways to get the wind noise down to enable good communications but the only thing that really worked was ear buds. I now use Splugs (link below) which cost around $100 but work pretty well. I formerly used a Schuberth C3 Pro, supposedly a quiet helmet, but it still had way too much wind noise for me without earbuds. Now I can use a definitely "noisy" helmet "Bell MX-9" because I like more ventilation, but the ear buds make everything OK in spite of increased wind noise, though the increased wind noise does impact the microphone and makes it harder for other riders to hear me well when going fast.

[The MX-9 helmet, though noisy, has some trick features, like a variable darkness "Transitions" faceshield, a visor, and also can fit an electrically heated faceshield (intended for snowmobiles) in the winter. I haven't used the electric feature yet, but I have wired my bike for it. Waiting for a cold, rainy day. Having a visor is great, both for sun, and when the facewhield is retracted it is protected by the visor, and unlikely to be scratched.]

https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most_comfortable_stereo_earplug_earbuds_p/s 22-3.5-4.5.htm

Back