• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil filter o-ring or not?

khan

I’m about to install a K&N oil filter in my ‘81 R65. I removed a hinged filter and a black o-ring was on the center pipe at the rear. I removed that as well. Do I replace that or is it not needed with this filter? I will attempt to include a photo showing the new filter with black rubber extensions at both ends and the rear center pipe o-View attachment 75896

Attachments

• 93289659-419C-496B-846E-AB084451106F.jpg
    93289659-419C-496B-846E-AB084451106F.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 175
The R65 is a bit of an odd-duck, so not totally sure. But on my '78 R100/7, I use OEM filters and have had good luck with the hinged filters. These filters come with black O-rings already on the filter, so no additional O-rings are needed. Not familiar with the K&N brand of filters. But I suspect no additional O-rings are needed. Measure the hinged filter with O-rings installed on each end. Measure the same thing with the K&N brand. The length should be the same.

A lot of folks really don't care for K&N filters for various reasons... check out the "Similar Threads" links.

I've never used one of their oil filters, but I have seen a few of their air filters for oilheads that were definitely NOT a proper fit in the airbox, they were too loose to seal at the top and bottom! Kinda defeats the purpose...

If the oil filter is not the same length, is the "gasket dance" the same for an R65 as it is for the other airheads?

I've not heard of any "gasket dance" for any Airhead filter system. Nominally there are large black O-rings on either end. However, there are metal shims and gaskets associated with the cover which is designed to provide the right amount of compression to the large white o-ring to ensure proper sealing of the white o-ring. It's important to measure the depth of the oil filter canister...this distance, nominally 3-3.5mm, sets up what stack-up shims/gaskets are needed.

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to - if Khan uses a non-stock filter, he needs to know about that.

Other than the fact that many of of us would never stick a K&N filter of any kind in a bike we cared about, everything khan needs to know about airhead oil filters is in these three links:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/

http://www.largiader.com/tech/filters/canister.html

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Oil.htm

Beemer Boneyard sells oil filters manufactured by BMW’s OEM suppliers here: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/oilfiltersetc.html and if khan is a BMWMOA member he can get a 10% discount code in the BMW Owner’s News magazine, making quality filters less expensive than aftermarket options.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn’t be likely to recommend the K&N (made in China) filter. I bought it through Rezvilla, with whom I like dealing. Their information on the filter indicated that it comes with washers/gaskets/o-rings. It did not. This bike is new to me, but I did have some of the necessary o-rings and all from years ago. Guess I’ll get the BMW filter kit in the future. I didn’t end up using the black 0-ring on the back end as it seemed to be redundant. Also, the one that I found on there held the filter element out too far. It should have been removed previously.

Last edited:
Oil Change

Being a dues paying Airhead Beemer Club member I plan on attending a local tech day where I know their will be many other members much smarter than me, bring with me 4 quarts of the proper 20-50 oil, either an OEM or Mahle oil filter kit and my R100/7. After getting the engine warmed up do the oil change asking said smart people is this right as I take the old filter and stuff out and what is the proper parts and order as I put stuff back together this and lots of pictures will help me do things right the next time.

In the really old days, oil filters did not come with the o-ring attached to them. Therefore, one installed a separate o-ring on the center tube and probably only replaced them occasionally.

Then, in the 1980s, the filters began arriving with the (square section) o-rings attached/glued to them. For the first time, then, one would use some sort of hook tool to remove the o-ring from the tube and then on just install the the new style filter. Much more convenient.

If your bike still has an o-ring on the center tube, remove and discard it. The o-ring attached to the new filter is all you need.

In the really old days, oil filters did not come with the o-ring attached to them. Therefore, one installed a separate o-ring on the center tube and probably only replaced them occasionally.

Then, in the 1980s, the filters began arriving with the (square section) o-rings attached/glued to them. For the first time, then, one would use some sort of hook tool to remove the o-ring from the tube and then on just install the the new style filter. Much more convenient.

If your bike still has an o-ring on the center tube, remove and discard it. The o-ring attached to the new filter is all you need.

This directly answers my question. Thanks!

Back