• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TPMS sensor Broken

grabcon

So I was changing the front tire on my Wife's 2014 F700GS today and the pin that holds the TPMS sensor in place snapped off flush with the inside of the rim. I see that the pin can be purchased but is it threaded, or pressed in to the rim? Any thoughts on how to repair this?

Thanks

Well I got the broken piece out with an easy out. So that was successful. Now the question is can I get the part from a local BMW dealer and is the sensor damaged. Time will tell. Dealers here are closed on Mondays.

The problem you are having is new to me. Let us know how you make out......perhaps post a picture of your part(s)?
OM

So first I have no idea how I broke the pin (bolt). I do know that I did not hook it with a tire iron. I heard a pop and the sensor was on the floor.

Here are some pictures.

These may end up out of order.

On fiche image item 2 is what broke.

Picture of the sensor is what it should look like mounted on the rim.

The Pin (bolt) circled in red is what was left in the inlet hole on the rim. Easy out removal.

The picture of the inlet hole is where the broken portion of the pin was left flush with the rim.

I will admit that I have not changed a tire in years, so I might claim a rookie mistake here..

Attachments

• Pin.JPG
    Pin.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 71
  • Sensor.JPG
    Sensor.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Hole.JPG
    Hole.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 70
  • BMW Sensor.JPG
    BMW Sensor.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 73
Well I got the broken piece out with an easy out. So that was successful. Now the question is can I get the part from a local BMW dealer and is the sensor damaged. Time will tell. Dealers here are closed on Mondays.

If your dealer does not have a pin he can order one.
I would think if the sensor is not cracked it should be fine.

I did the same thing on my wife's 2013 F700gs. When the bead popped over the rim it snapped off the sensor. I got the broken part out with a ez-out and ordered the part from my dealer. At the time I was changing my own tires so I ordered a couple extras which are now in one of my toolboxes. The F700gs has been traded for a F750gs and I don't change tires anymore so If you are near Lansing, Michigan I would be happy to give you one.

Just a WAG, but I'd call that a faulty bolt, or maybe during installation a thread got hung up inside, or just corroded over time, and bound it up - not your fault. Chase the threads in the wheel before installing the new one.

The local BMW dealer had a couple of the pins that hold the sensor in place. Why BMW calls them pins and not bolts who knows. Could be a language translation issue.

Couple words of note here. First I still don't know how I broke it. I think Gil F is most likely is correct in his thoughts. Also I asked BMW if there was a correct position for the sensor they stated that as long as it sits flat in the rim and is parallel to the rim the direction that it is mounted does not matter. I bring this up because the mounting hole is off set to one end of the sensor and the fiche is not clear.

Back