Thread: Headlight Switch

Headlight Switch

Has anyone installed a switch to turn the headlight off while starting? Any suggested parts and installation guides are much appreciated!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

Seems like any bikes we have owned the bulb does not light until the bike is running or the bulb shuts off while cranking.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Don't know specifically about the 96 GS (per your profile info), but I'm "pretty" sure that your bike has a "Load Relief Relay", which shuts off the headlight while cranking the starter. You can see the 1100RT schematic on the Mac-Pac site, http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

The headlight switch was the first thing I added when I bought my R1100RT back in 98
    Itís a simple plug in
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

Carl - looking for clarity here:
    Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
    Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

I've found some documentation that infers that the '96 1100GS does indeed have the "load relief" relay factory-installed.

Here's the page from the BMW Repair Manual, see item 4 (open the Word doc):
    Doc1.doc

And here's a picture with a blurb from micapeak.com -
    r11fuseb.jpg

Relay 4 Load Relief
    The load relief relay is actuated when the ignition is on and the starter button is not pressed. This means current flows to:

the headlights (through the headlight switches)
    fuse 4
    fuse 2 (through the right side light switch and ignition switch) and
    the instrument backlights and tail and side lights.

Pushing the starter button releases the load relief relay which cuts the current to the above items.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Carl - looking for clarity here:
    Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
    Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

I've found some documentation that infers that the '96 1100GS does indeed have the "load relief" relay factory-installed.

Here's the page from the BMW Repair Manual, see item 4 (open the Word doc):
    Doc1.doc

And here's a picture with a blurb from micapeak.com -
    r11fuseb.jpg

Relay 4 Load Relief
    The load relief relay is actuated when the ignition is on and the starter button is not pressed. This means current flows to:

the headlights (through the headlight switches)
    fuse 4
    fuse 2 (through the right side light switch and ignition switch) and
    the instrument backlights and tail and side lights.

Pushing the starter button releases the load relief relay which cuts the current to the above items.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I never noticed if the headlight stays on while cranking since I start my bike outside and always during daylight hours. The reason for my inquiry is low voltage when starting my bike is causing the dreaded ABS alternating light flashing.....time for a new battery I suppose.
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

[QUOTE=Pauls1150;1181477]Carl - looking for clarity here:

Itís the euro switch that allows you to turn the headlight on or off.
    I put the same switch on a 86 K100RT
    I wish I could get a switch for my K13GT but since headlights on was mandated in the EU, BMW stopped putting
    headlight switches on their newer models
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

If you're are just loolking for the ability to control the headlight, R1150rtp and most likely R1100rtp modles have headlight switchs built into the right hand switch pod. Allows the headlight to be turned off completely, parking lights only, or full headlight. I believe it is plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by CNRed View Post
    If you're are just loolking for the ability to control the headlight, R1150rtp and most likely R1100rtp modles have headlight switchs built into the right hand switch pod. Allows the headlight to be turned off completely, parking lights only, or full headlight. I believe it is plug and play.
    Not exactly. The euro switch is plug and play, but the RT-P models accomplish this via blackout mode which is tied into the RT-P wiring.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Not exactly. The euro switch is plug and play, but the RT-P models accomplish this via blackout mode which is tied into the RT-P wiring.
    That is correct, the wiring from the right hand switch cluster plugs into the wiring harness on the right side of the fairing bracket.
    I had to repair mine fo a previous owner that was trying to modify the turn signal switches.
    It was plug and play for the RT-P
    I am not sure if the wiring is diffrent or if an RT-P switch cluster would work in a civilian RT.