Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Headlight Switch

  1. #1

    Headlight Switch

    Has anyone installed a switch to turn the headlight off while starting? Any suggested parts and installation guides are much appreciated!
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,416
    Seems like any bikes we have owned the bulb does not light until the bike is running or the bulb shuts off while cranking.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,680
    Don't know specifically about the 96 GS (per your profile info), but I'm "pretty" sure that your bike has a "Load Relief Relay", which shuts off the headlight while cranking the starter. You can see the 1100RT schematic on the Mac-Pac site, http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/

  4. #4
    Registered User cjcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Orange Co. Ca.
    Posts
    704
    The headlight switch was the first thing I added when I bought my R1100RT back in 98
    Itís a simple plug in
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

  5. #5
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,680
    Carl - looking for clarity here:
    Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
    Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

    I've found some documentation that infers that the '96 1100GS does indeed have the "load relief" relay factory-installed.

    Here's the page from the BMW Repair Manual, see item 4 (open the Word doc):
    Doc1.doc

    And here's a picture with a blurb from micapeak.com -
    r11fuseb.jpg

    Relay 4 Load Relief
    The load relief relay is actuated when the ignition is on and the starter button is not pressed. This means current flows to:

    the headlights (through the headlight switches)
    fuse 4
    fuse 2 (through the right side light switch and ignition switch) and
    the instrument backlights and tail and side lights.

    Pushing the starter button releases the load relief relay which cuts the current to the above items.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Carl - looking for clarity here:
    Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
    Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

    I've found some documentation that infers that the '96 1100GS does indeed have the "load relief" relay factory-installed.

    Here's the page from the BMW Repair Manual, see item 4 (open the Word doc):
    Doc1.doc

    And here's a picture with a blurb from micapeak.com -
    r11fuseb.jpg

    Relay 4 Load Relief
    The load relief relay is actuated when the ignition is on and the starter button is not pressed. This means current flows to:

    the headlights (through the headlight switches)
    fuse 4
    fuse 2 (through the right side light switch and ignition switch) and
    the instrument backlights and tail and side lights.

    Pushing the starter button releases the load relief relay which cuts the current to the above items.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I never noticed if the headlight stays on while cranking since I start my bike outside and always during daylight hours. The reason for my inquiry is low voltage when starting my bike is causing the dreaded ABS alternating light flashing.....time for a new battery I suppose.
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

  7. #7
    Registered User cjcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Orange Co. Ca.
    Posts
    704
    [QUOTE=Pauls1150;1181477]Carl - looking for clarity here:
    Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
    Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

    Itís the euro switch that allows you to turn the headlight on or off.
    I put the same switch on a 86 K100RT
    I wish I could get a switch for my K13GT but since headlights on was mandated in the EU, BMW stopped putting
    headlight switches on their newer models
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    29
    If you're are just loolking for the ability to control the headlight, R1150rtp and most likely R1100rtp modles have headlight switchs built into the right hand switch pod. Allows the headlight to be turned off completely, parking lights only, or full headlight. I believe it is plug and play.

  9. #9
    Registered User AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by CNRed View Post
    If you're are just loolking for the ability to control the headlight, R1150rtp and most likely R1100rtp modles have headlight switchs built into the right hand switch pod. Allows the headlight to be turned off completely, parking lights only, or full headlight. I believe it is plug and play.
    Not exactly. The euro switch is plug and play, but the RT-P models accomplish this via blackout mode which is tied into the RT-P wiring.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Not exactly. The euro switch is plug and play, but the RT-P models accomplish this via blackout mode which is tied into the RT-P wiring.
    That is correct, the wiring from the right hand switch cluster plugs into the wiring harness on the right side of the fairing bracket.
    I had to repair mine fo a previous owner that was trying to modify the turn signal switches.
    It was plug and play for the RT-P
    I am not sure if the wiring is diffrent or if an RT-P switch cluster would work in a civilian RT.

Similar Threads

  1. Headlight switch gone bad again....
    By Bdiver in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 04:39 AM
  2. R90/6 Headlight Switch
    By CAPITOLATIM in forum Airheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 04:26 AM
  3. Headlight switch
    By Fritzc in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM
  4. GS headlight switch
    By kwazimoto in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •