• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight Switch

Has anyone installed a switch to turn the headlight off while starting? Any suggested parts and installation guides are much appreciated!

Seems like any bikes we have owned the bulb does not light until the bike is running or the bulb shuts off while cranking.

The headlight switch was the first thing I added when I bought my R1100RT back in 98
It’s a simple plug in

Carl - looking for clarity here:
Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

I've found some documentation that infers that the '96 1100GS does indeed have the "load relief" relay factory-installed.

Here's the page from the BMW Repair Manual, see item 4 (open the Word doc):
View attachment Doc1.doc

And here's a picture with a blurb from micapeak.com -
r11fuseb.jpg

Relay 4 Load Relief
The load relief relay is actuated when the ignition is on and the starter button is not pressed. This means current flows to:

the headlights (through the headlight switches)
fuse 4
fuse 2 (through the right side light switch and ignition switch) and
the instrument backlights and tail and side lights.

Pushing the starter button releases the load relief relay which cuts the current to the above items.

Before installing that switch, did you actually observe that the headlight stayed on while pressing the starter button?
Or is your added switch the European version that allows one to turn the headlight off during the day?

I've found some documentation that infers that the '96 1100GS does indeed have the "load relief" relay factory-installed.

Here's the page from the BMW Repair Manual, see item 4 (open the Word doc):
View attachment 75900

And here's a picture with a blurb from micapeak.com -
View attachment 75901

Relay 4 Load Relief
The load relief relay is actuated when the ignition is on and the starter button is not pressed. This means current flows to:

the headlights (through the headlight switches)
fuse 4
fuse 2 (through the right side light switch and ignition switch) and
the instrument backlights and tail and side lights.

Pushing the starter button releases the load relief relay which cuts the current to the above items.

Thanks for all the feedback. I never noticed if the headlight stays on while cranking since I start my bike outside and always during daylight hours. The reason for my inquiry is low voltage when starting my bike is causing the dreaded ABS alternating light flashing.....time for a new battery I suppose.

It’s the euro switch that allows you to turn the headlight on or off.
I put the same switch on a 86 K100RT
I wish I could get a switch for my K13GT but since headlights on was mandated in the EU, BMW stopped putting
headlight switches on their newer models

If you're are just loolking for the ability to control the headlight, R1150rtp and most likely R1100rtp modles have headlight switchs built into the right hand switch pod. Allows the headlight to be turned off completely, parking lights only, or full headlight. I believe it is plug and play.

If you're are just loolking for the ability to control the headlight, R1150rtp and most likely R1100rtp modles have headlight switchs built into the right hand switch pod. Allows the headlight to be turned off completely, parking lights only, or full headlight. I believe it is plug and play.

Not exactly. The euro switch is plug and play, but the RT-P models accomplish this via blackout mode which is tied into the RT-P wiring.

Not exactly. The euro switch is plug and play, but the RT-P models accomplish this via blackout mode which is tied into the RT-P wiring.

That is correct, the wiring from the right hand switch cluster plugs into the wiring harness on the right side of the fairing bracket.
I had to repair mine fo a previous owner that was trying to modify the turn signal switches.
It was plug and play for the RT-P
I am not sure if the wiring is diffrent or if an RT-P switch cluster would work in a civilian RT.

Back