Thread: BMW Motorcycles of Pittsburgh Closing?

BMW Motorcycles of Pittsburgh Closing?

Saw this banner on their website this morning. Iím a new BMW rider - but been riding Jap bikes for 46 years. The sales guy - Dennis - at this dealership was an awesome fellow - the owner left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth. Due to this I have already had service done in New Philadelphia Ohio. Any insights into this dealership closing leaving a major market with no BMW motorcycle dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by gkahle View Post
    Saw this banner on their website this morning. Iím a new BMW rider - but been riding Jap bikes for 46 years. The sales guy - Dennis - at this dealership was an awesome fellow - the owner left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth. Due to this I have already had service done in New Philadelphia Ohio. Any insights into this dealership closing leaving a major market with no BMW motorcycle dealership?
    I have never been there but I think perhaps you answered your own question when you said, "the owner left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth", and went elsewhere for service.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Dealership sold

Was in the shop this week. They sold to Mosites in Western Pittsburgh. (North Versailles) https://www.mositesmotorsports.com/

Supposedly opening a repair shop next spring. But the Wexford place is not going to stay. Bummer too. Was close to home. Bought 4 motorcycles from that store over all those years. People there have been fantastic. Guess I have to find a new home.

This is a real loss

I've been going to European Motors/BMW of Pittsburgh since I arrived here back in 2004. Dennis, Glen and all the people there were exceptional. Couldn't ask for better people to work with. Lee sold the business to Mike a few years ago, and I heard it was up for sale, but I never thought it would close. I've heard that it's now part of Mosites Motorsports, a large super store (motorcycles, ATV's, water sports, etc.). I've always dealt with small, dedicated BMW shops wherever I've lived. I heard that BMW killed a deal with Kissell BMW because they wanted to move the dealership from just north fo Pittsburgh to just south of Pittsburgh. Now it's moved an hour away and merged with a mega-store. I'll check Mosites out but I'm not happy. I'll also see if there are any BMW dealerships reasonably close in Ohio. I'll really miss BMW of Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by ITZNUTHIN View Post
    I've been going to European Motors/BMW of Pittsburgh since I arrived here back in 2004. Dennis, Glen and all the people there were exceptional. Couldn't ask for better people to work with. Lee sold the business to Mike a few years ago, and I heard it was up for sale, but I never thought it would close. I've heard that it's now part of Mosites Motorsports, a large super store (motorcycles, ATV's, water sports, etc.). I've always dealt with small, dedicated BMW shops wherever I've lived. I heard that BMW killed a deal with Kissell BMW because they wanted to move the dealership from just north fo Pittsburgh to just south of Pittsburgh. Now it's moved an hour away and merged with a mega-store. I'll check Mosites out but I'm not happy. I'll also see if there are any BMW dealerships reasonably close in Ohio. I'll really miss BMW of Pittsburgh.
    I remember the dealership moving from Winber (East of Johnstown) to near Monroeville, then Mckeesport (Heritage) and then on the westside of Pittsburgh. Change is the only constant.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Very Bummed about European Motorcycles of Pittsburgh Closure

Just found out they closed too, very sad day! Always had a good experience, Gordon, Lee, Dennis were always great, I hope Mosites is just as good.

Worst case there are a few reputable dealers within 5 hours, one in Port Clinton, PA and one in Baltimore, Bob's BMW.

Lost my service coupons, they all expire Dec-31st but there is nowhere to use them around here since Mosites only starts their BMW operation in the Spring...

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Lightbulb Well then...

... if the've sold to Mosites, and they WANT to be "just as good"... they should honor the contracts/agreements of the customers they will inherit.

Otherwise... they stand to lose intended profitability in short order.

Nothing like their own metro area customers riding up on bikes from say, Eurosport in Asheville NC... to make a point to the new business owners.

I would give them the "chance" to honor your service coupons during a "like duration of date" from when they open.

You had a marketing initiative with BMW itself; it wasn't your fault the MOTORRAD dealership closed before you could get in.

MOA Regional Coordinator to the courtesy phone please!

"travel'n" John
    ...one who has lived through the bastard zone of MOTORRAD dealerships within a major metro area; and rides a... "out of region bike".

Quote Originally Posted by patmacedo View Post
    Just found out they closed too, very sad day! Always had a good experience, Gordon, Lee, Dennis were always great, I hope Mosites is just as good.

Worst case there are a few reputable dealers within 5 hours, one in Port Clinton, PA and one in Baltimore, Bob's BMW.

Lost my service coupons, they all expire Dec-31st but there is nowhere to use them around here since Mosites only starts their BMW operation in the Spring...
    The shop in Tyrone, PA gets nice reviews. That's a lot closer than Hermy's or Bob's for folks from P-burgh
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    The shop in Tyrone, PA gets nice reviews. That's a lot closer than Hermy's or Bob's for folks from P-burgh
    Kissell Motorsports in Tyrone is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
    Kissell Motorsports in Tyrone is fantastic.
    +1